Stands filled with concrete?

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
hi all you knowledgable people out ther in HiFi land,

Anyone tried this as opposed to lead shot or arabites or evm I read on another forum, cat litter (unused obviously!)

I know this would make them very heavy, which i guess is the point but would there be a recation between the stell of the stand and the concerte mix? apart from the obvious, water corrosion. Any thoughts or am I just getting a bit carried away!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Don't be mean and buy the lead shot
emotion-55.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
See if you can get hold of some uranium maybe. Would be very heavy...:)

But seriously... Lead shot or sand is the way. Lead is heavier than concrete anyway.
Concrete is permanent too.

A

Anonymous

Lead shot, but that costs a wee bit. Failing that just get play sand. It weighs a bit more than concrete powder. I'm assuming you wouldn't be pouring in the concrete wet? I think part of the reason they don't do that is that loose shot or sand can absorb errant vibrations better than solid fills like cement.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
raypalmer:Lead shot, but that costs a wee bit. Failing that just get play sand. It weighs a bit more than concrete powder. I'm assuming you wouldn't be pouring in the concrete wet? I think part of the reason they don't do that is that loose shot or sand can absorb errant vibrations better than solid fills like cement.

Might be tricky to pour the concrete dry, but pouring it in wet is asking for your stand to rust from the inside out. Mind you, f you did put it in in powder form it might attract moisture from the air, as sand can.

Shot or something similar is the best bet

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Yea raypalmer was going to mix it and pour in to go off nice and hard!!! Yes I know I'm a muppet but great believer in NSTAASQ! even though some of my questions or more stupid than others! contradiction in itself eh?

No seriously, wasn't there a speaker company (Fraday?) who made speakers with concrete cabinets?

Anyhow, I think I'll go with the arabites to start and take it from there...Cheers All

TRENDING THREADS