Standmount speakers for Cyrus 8 system?

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I have a Cyrus 8x CD player, 8vs2 amp, and mostly listen to my iPod (lossless files) played through an Onkyo NDS1 + Arcam DAC.

My current speakers are Leema Xero (on Partington Dreadnoughts; Atlas cable, bi-wired) but I've found that they don't have sufficient 'clout' (projection, soundstage, attack, bass) at the lower volumes I listen at (I have a 2 year old daughter, so cranking up the volume isn't really an option).

The room is relatively large (approx 5x5 metres), so floorstanders would probably be a better bet, but I'd prefer to have standmounts.

I realise I'll need to audition (although that's difficult where I live), but advice on where to start would be appreciated. My current thoughts are the PMC DB1i, B+W CM5, Dynaudio DM2/6, and EB Acoustics EB2. There's a pair of B+w CDM1NTs on eBay, but I don't know how they compare.

Music I listen to is general rock and pop.

Many thanks for any help.

MP1968 said:
Hello. I have a Cyrus 8x CD player, 8vs2 amp, and mostly listen to my iPod (lossless files) played through an Onkyo NDS1 + Arcam DAC.

My current speakers are Leema Xero (on Partington Dreadnoughts; Atlas cable, bi-wired) but I've found that they don't have sufficient 'clout' (projection, soundstage, attack, bass) at the lower volumes I listen at (I have a 2 year old daughter, so cranking up the volume isn't really an option).

The room is relatively large (approx 5x5 metres), so floorstanders would probably be a better bet, but I'd prefer to have standmounts.

I realise I'll need to audition (although that's difficult where I live), but advice on where to start would be appreciated. My current thoughts are the PMC DB1i, B+W CM5, Dynaudio DM2/6, and EB Acoustics EB2. There's a pair of B+w CDM1NTs on eBay, but I don't know how they compare.

Music I listen to is general rock and pop.

Many thanks for any help.

The only speaker I've heard with Cyrus, apart from RS6s, is Dynaudio. They sounded really good - an all Cyrus kit needs a monitor to exploit their strengths. To that end, PMC (so I've been told) sound really good with Cyrus and recent Vienna speakers and Epos M12is seem to match well, too. I would avoid a sealed box like ATC, EB and Spendor. I'm sure they'll sound the biz but they are harder to drive.

A

Anonymous

i'd consider dynaudio dm 2/7s too, i have a pair in a 4.5 x 4.5mt room and they are more than gutsy enough for it, lovely crisp but smooth treble (no fatigue), deep punchy bass, lovely mids, they're a fantastic speaker and you should be able to find a pair for about £500..

A

Anonymous

The B&W CM5's would work very well with your set up IMO but so would the likes of the Monitor Audio RX2's and the Dynaudio DM 2/6's or the 2/7's

A demo or 2 is deffo a necessity in this case as the Cyrus 8vs2 amp is very good still; it can tend to have a little leaness/brightness to it at times

The older Silver series of Monitor Audio speakers (i.e. RS1's, 5's, 6's and 8's) would have been a little painful with your Cyrus amp but the newer RX series is much better and works very well with Cyrus gear IMO

It'd be handy to know what your overall budget is and also what cabling (i.e. interconnect and speaker cable) you use as this can have an effect on the sound as well.

My parent in laws have a Cyrus 8vs2, Cyrus XPower and Rega Apollo set-up with B&W CM7 speakers; they were running QED Anniversary XT speaker cable but have now moved up to the Chord Odyssey 4 and it's made a massive difference. Smoother, punchier and more detailed bass/midrange and with no harshness at the top end now

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for all the comments. Generally Dynaudios (2/6 or 2/7) sound like a good idea to demo. I'll probably try the B+W CM5 as well, as I can audition those in a shop not too far from home.

Regarding the questions: my budget is £700 max (the reason I mentioned the PMC DB1is is that I can buy an ex-demo pair for £625, which is almost half price). Speaker cable is Atlas Hyper 2.0. Interconnects: Atlas Compas Digital Coax, Chord Crimson Plus, TCI Coral Digital.

Hope that helps.

MP1968

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, meant to say: only reason I mentioned the B+W CDM 1NTs is that they're available for £275. I wouldn't be able to audition them, but it would keep my wife happier about the money I'm spending on hi-fi........

TRENDING THREADS