Squeezebox Touch is currently still the.....

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
[First post syndrome again]....dogs wotsits when it comes to SQ, Spotify ability and Radio features for the money? Is there any other digital device that is comparable that members can give a case for?

Currently listening to Radio Paradise - all sorts of loveliness

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
With one (for me *very* important) difference: the Sonos stuff doesn't do HD audio, so max 16 bit 44.1 khz.

It is one of the most requested features...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spockfish said:
With one (for me *very* important) difference: the Sonos stuff doesn't do HD audio, so max 16 bit 44.1 khz.

Yes, not going to happen though, marked as "Not Planned" on ask.sonos.com, the official Sonos mouthpiece.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:

practically the same system as me!

The squeezebox is quite simply a great bit if kit - purely based on SQ wonder how my system compares to a unitilite

I've never used a playlist, but a quick google suggests it is limited to 100 on the Touch, but 500 on any PC you use as server. And then you can increase it with some settings.

Have never fathomed what a playlist is actually for - a party maybe?

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
This thread prompted me to do a sound test with both squeezebox and sonos today....nothing better to do on a bh.

Playing a variety of songs through spotify premium we were barely able to notice any difference between the two. Any difference was marginal and pedantic.

Philim said:
This thread prompted me to do a sound test with both squeezebox and sonos today....nothing better to do on a bh.

Playing a variety of songs through spotify premium we were barely able to notice any difference between the two. Any difference was marginal and pedantic.

did you try anything more demanding? Spotify, super as it is, is lowest common denominator compared to hires isn't it?

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
There's actually a new kid in town: bluesound http://www.bluesound.com/

This one does HD. There's also some relationship with NAD. And it does not have the half-broken DLNA protocol but uses the same approach as Sonos: it has it's own database on the device which provides the same usability as the squeezebox.

I was almost convinced. Almost. Saidly it only has an optical out, and no coax out. While I couldn't get the full specs this normally limits the output stream to 96KHz.

But it looks good, the price is reasonable (compared to Sonos), doesn't use DLNA and at least it does HD.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just got feedback from the dutch dealer: it's capable of doing 192KHz via the optical out.

So +1 for BlueSound. It's now officially on my list.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
Just got feedback from the dutch dealer: it's capable of doing 192KHz via the optical out.

Same here! I presume you refer to the Node?

No UK distributor though.....would you have to buy from Holland? Price?

It looks promising and in all honesty I struggle to see the SBT screen from the sofa.....much prefer an iOS app.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:

Same here! I presume you refer to the Node?

No UK distributor though.....would you have to buy from Holland? Price?

It looks promising and in all honesty I struggle to see the SBT screen from the sofa.....much prefer an iOS app.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spockfish said:
the price is reasonable (compared to Sonos)

That combination of words would usually imply that it's cheaper than Sonos (many people think Sonos is too expensive), just so everyone's clear, it isn't cheaper than Sonos it's typically €100+ more expensive than the equivalent Sonos device.

What does look interesting is their combined player/NAS/ripping device, which looks reasonable value, compared to some similar devices.

Their attempts at multi-room grouping don't appear to be as good as Sonos though, less than 5 units and you can only create ONE group of players, according to the FAQ you MAY (note, not CAN) be able to create two different groups of players. How much that would actually limit anyone in practice is a different matter though, I don't know (m)any people with more than 5 Sonos units, so it's probably irrelevant for most people.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
My iUSB arrived this morning great service from Analogue Seduction next day delivery.

Hooked it up in 2 mins and on my second album atm and wow this thing really does do what they say it does.

It sounds the same as before but much better more analogue more ebb and flow more refined just better so anyone thinking of giving one of these a try I say go for it you wont be disappointed.
smiley.gif

I have SBT using the EDO for USB out into a USB2 powered hub the hub into the iUSB to M-dac and the sound from the SBT is way above that from my Cyrus CDXTSE with PSXR into the same dac.

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts