SqueezeBox Server what do you use it on?

nads

Currently I am running it on a Home assembled PC but I am thinking of buying/building a dedicated Nas/server to run SBS on and have my Flac files on.

Why it will be on 24/7 as the PC is at the moment but i would like have the PC off as even though it is quite quiet it is not silent and it needs to be in the same room at the kit as it also plays movies etc on the TV..

the music "server" does not need to be in the room so does not need to be silent, would be nice though, and does not need to be attached to a screen.

So how do like yours? Sorry well it is almost Easter.

So what do you run SBS on other than a PC?

michael hoy

nads:michael hoy:
Nads,

If you want something "silent" try here, only noise would be the HDD.

so how does SBS run on it?

I have just be in contact with Tranquil, you can install it on the device of your choice, however, they do not provide it and they also tell me that SBS will be discontinued by Microsoft this July.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:nads:michael hoy:Nads,If you want something "silent" try here, only noise would be the HDD.

I have just be in contact with Tranquil, you can install it on the device of your choice, however, they do not provide it and they also tell me that SBS will be discontinued by Microsoft this July.

Err, I think you're talking about something else, Squeezebox Server is not a Microsoft product, it's now Logitech.

michael hoy

the_lhc:michael hoy:nads:michael hoy:Nads,If you want something "silent" try here, only noise would be the HDD.

Err, I think you're talking about something else, Squeezebox Server is not a Microsoft product, it's now Logitech.

I am refering to this part of the OP. " I am thinking of buying/building a dedicated Nas/server to run SBS on
and have my Flac files on."

EDIT: I am obviously getting my wires crossed SBS is small business server, did not relate it to squeeze box

nads

Been surfing and found out some good infos

Netgear provide a NAS range ReadyNAS Duo which suports SBS out of the box while Qnap can be run with it but are reliant on Voluntary support for an other program to allow it to run.

No me being a cheap Yorkshire Man who also likes simple things thinks I know what i will be doing.

A

Anonymous

I have a Tranquil PC running Windows Home Server as a file server and also running Squeezebox Server

Works flawlessly across the board. Near silent in operation, more than powerful enough to run squeezebox server (much better than my old QNAP 109 linux based system). The servers are also really well put togeher and so small and neat they can be hidden away.

You can run Squeezebox on any flavour of windows on these machines so if you want to use it as a desktop you could install XP, Vista or 7 on it. If it is just to be sat out of the way, serving up files and music then Windows Home Server is a good route to go down. Tranquil offer them ready built or as bare-bones so you can install your own drives and operating system (not much hassle but doesn't save much cash either).

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/T7_ATOM_330_SYSTEMS.html

A

Anonymous

I've got a Readynas Duo and tried using it as a server for my tunes but found the web interface way to slow for my tastes. I've got about 15,000 songs I reckon mostly 320k mp3.

It's faster when using the remote but still far slower than when I used to run it off a dedicated small XP machine. Scanning the library takes forever too, the small memory in the Nas does it no favours.

I gave up and now have it on a HTPC I've built, much better.

If you're a patient man then give it a go but i'm not!

On a side note I've also just rebuilt an old XP machine to use a server for my movies/music backup, got 6TB in Raid under the stairs so far!

R

nads

Joel do you have a Squeeze box?

if no then dont worry.

Squeezebox use a program installed on the PC or server or NAS to "play" the music, well organize the music to sent to the SB3/Duet/radio/touch/transporter which then outputs to the amp.

you can also control it from the SB3/etc remote . I suppose it is a bit like iTunes (minus the store).

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
SBS can be run on pretty any PC running Windows or Linux.

I use a Viglen MPCL (PC the size of a double CD case) I got it for £79 direct from Viglen when it was on offer. http://www.viglen.co.uk/viglen/Products_Services/Product_Range/Product_file.aspx?eCode=XUBUMPCL&Type_Info=Description&Type=Desktops

It runs SBS well, but as the processor is very slow, and it has a puny amount of RAM, it is a little slow on general PC tasks, but runs SBS without a glitch. I got mine with Ubuntu pre-installed, but I couldnt get on with Linux, so put XP on it, which works (but slow). Once set up with SBS the slowness isnt an issue, as I just leave it alone in the cupboard.

The MPCL doesnt have wireless built in, so you can 1) connect it directly to your SB, 2) buy a USB wireless dongle 3) Connect it via ethernet to your router (this is what I have done). It also doens't have a CD drive, but this isn't an issue for me, as I rip my CD's on my main PC and fire them over wireless to the MPCL when done.

I have 2 USB hard disks attached to it, and no screen. I use the built in Remote Desktop in XP to remote link it to my main PC. The MPCL just sits upstairs in a cupboard. It uses very little power when on. I have it going to sleep after 4 hours non-use, and have set up the a scheduled task (turn off volume) to run at 6pm every night, this basically is a work around to get the PC to 'wake up' at 6pm.

The MPCL also doubles up as network storage on the second USB disk, which I use to do backups (this takes ages over a wireless network BTW)

nads

the_lhc:yes but it can be any PC or any NAS, doesn't matter about whether it can run any special software.

so what is Sonos Controller?

sounds just like SBS.

what i am doing is to be able to listen without the PC being on.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nads:the_lhc:yes but it can be any PC or any NAS, doesn't matter about whether it can run any special software.
so what is Sonos Controller?

to give it its correct name, Sonos Desktop Controller is

a) entirely optional and

b) exactly what it says, a software representation of the handheld controller, it allows your PC to act as another controller (but not, to many people's annoyance, a zone), so you can select what tracks to play on which zone. I've never really seen the point of it, unless you have a zone player in the same room as the PC or you have it installed on a netbook or something it seems to me to be of very little use. Either way it isn't required and doesn't need to be running. All the installation can be done through the handheld controller, I haven't run it up for over a year.

sounds just like SBS.

I can see how you might make that mistake, if you hadn't looked at it in any detail.

what i am doing is to be able to listen without the PC being on.

My PC is only switched on once a fortnight, I have a simple NAS which doesn't have the capacity to have software loaded and run on it and I use my Sonos every day.

I really don't know how you could have read any of the posts I've made about Sonos and not understand that Sonos requires no software of any kind, I bang on about it ad tedium every time I talk about Sonos, which, frivolous nonsense aside, is about all I do talk about here.

If you want to keep it simple, get Sonos, there really is no other answer.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:Laughs. Put a CD in the tray and press 'play'.

Yes and it's about time you changed the record. All those steps before you can listen to something? Terrible, I just pick up the controller, press "play" and.... oh, that's it.

And then if I want to listen to something else, I don't even have to get out of my chair to do it.

Works every time.

Yup, that pretty much describes my system.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nads:the_lhc sounds a bit like the new Touch. which basically has SBS inside it rather than hosted on a PC or NAS.

Is that actually the case? I thought that when I looked at it initially but looking at it more closely yes, you can listen to internet radio and the like just using the Touch but if you actually want to listen to your own music stored on a PC or NAS you still have to download Squeezebox Server, although I you do appear to be able to listen to stuff on a USB drive, which is better but it's not clear and the manual isn't available to download as you can't actually buy it yet.

The system requirement state: For access to local music: 256MB RAM and 100MB hard disk space

which I'm assuming is for Squeezebox Server.

It's really not clear from Logitech's website though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts