Spotify source

nigel1457

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Exisitng kit: Denon M38, Mission 761i.

I only use Spotify Premium to listen to music and would like to know the best import source for Spotify to give the best audio quality and the best connection method.

At the moment I use my HTC Wildfire S using the headphone jack to AUX port on the Denon.

Are there better options? Using an ipod or ipad or an Android tablet or a netbook/PC? If one of these provided better sound I would purchase a used item from ebay.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Nigel1457

John Duncan

I would have said a Logitech squeezebox touch, but they are commanding stupid money now that they've been discontinued.

So absent one of those, I'd probably get this:

m.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming/qed/uplay-plus/qed-uplay-plus

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I would have said a Logitech squeezebox touch, but they are commanding stupid money now that they've been discontinued. So absent one of those, I'd probably get this: m.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming/qed/uplay-plus/qed-uplay-plus

I'd wager that the headphone out from the Wildfire will sound better than via bluetooth considering it doesn't support apt-X (which makes a huge difference).

John Duncan

fr0g said:
John Duncan said:
I would have said a Logitech squeezebox touch, but they are commanding stupid money now that they've been discontinued. So absent one of those, I'd probably get this: m.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming/qed/uplay-plus/qed-uplay-plus

I'd wager that the headphone out from the Wildfire will sound better than via bluetooth considering it doesn't support apt-X (which makes a huge difference).

Oh doesn't it? I admit I didn't go chasing the phone's specs. I'd still want to get rid of the wires :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
fr0g said:
John Duncan said:

Oh doesn't it? I admit I didn't go chasing the phone's specs. I'd still want to get rid of the wires :)

Nah, my One X was the first HTC to support it, and it does make a huge difference. But yes, wirefree is nice.

I'd personally suggest this... (not a SQ upgrade, but useful).

I have Squeezebox. I have 2 Duets essentially. And in the kictchen I have mt old DesireHD permanently atop my old Denon mini system. No wires really showing. On that I have installed the Android app "Squeezeplay". That essentially turns my DesireHD into a Squeezebox receiver.

So from my current phone, using either the official (free) Squeezebox app or any other, I can control the music in the Kitchen. Works a treat, although can take some faffing at the beginning for the beginner.

So, basically, upgrade the phone, and keep the current one as a dedicated, remote controllable music player. :)

Other options of course are AppleTV or WD Live, but both require a screen to get the most out of them. The WDTV Live has a built in Spotify app (quite clunky, but workable).

WDTV Live has the advantage also of taking USB storage if necessary (ie sticks or external HDDs), and playing almost all formats of music or video.

edit. Saying all of the above. Looking at the specs of the Denon, it takes a digital (usb) connection from an iPod. So I would say that buying a second hand iPhone or iPod (does an iPod play Spotify?) would bring the biggest SQ difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts