spotify sound quality

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,
I am currently listening to spotify using the basic route of headphone jack to phono into my naim amp out of my laptop. I know all about dac`s etc and will have to wait until funds allow for that. Meantime can anyone tell me what the jump in sound quality would be if I changed from spotify free to premium?

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew,
Although it`s no where near cd quality (didnt expect that) I am quite surprised at the sound quality I am getting from "free" I confess that I am not quite up with bitrates etc yet, just trying to get a feel from you all as to what I might gain sq wise if I made the jump to premium. Appreciate your response

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Check out WHF's blog here:
http://community.whathifi.com/blogs/discs_and_downloads/default.aspx

Mentions Spotify as being 160kbps OGG format for free streaming. Pretty good really. So good that I can't hear the need to pay for premium. For the life of me I can't see how Spotify's business model will payback?

I hope it doesn't go the way of Wippit.

idc

Premium is 320kbps, but better than that is the lack of adverts. I think that the Ogg Vorbis codec used explains the sound. For me Vorbis at 320kbps has more life and dynamic than AAC at the same bit rate. But the difference is not huge and other factors such as the hardwear used is more important IMO.

The future signs for Spotify are good as so many record companies have signed licensing agreements with them. They are not in profit, yet, but that was also part of the initial business plan. I think that the success of Spotify will be due to it taking 'sales' from the illegal download sites (in other words, the artist/rights holder gets paid) and it is a cheap way for artists to showcase their work leading to CD and download sales.

murg

May 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dazmb,
I share your worries about spotify going the same way as Wippit. personally I think it`s brilliant. since i`ve been listening I have lost count of the cd`s i`ve bought after "finding" bands whist browsing. Got to be good for all concerned. Back to the original post I think I may give premium a go for a day for £0.99 and judge the sq for myself

cheers!

idc

Murg. When you do your upgrade to premium make sure you go into Edit on the toolbar, then preferences and then tick the box in Sound for Enable Higher Bit Rate. I do not think that that happens automatically. Otherwise you have an advert free day, at the lower bit rate!

HD Elvis

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Well, you'll get double the bitrate, which can only be good - really depends what the audio output from your laptop is like...

If you wanted to get the best possible sound quality from a laptop and spotify for around 1k budget what kit would you recommend? I assume a Beresford DAC will be in there somewhere? Kandy K2 amp and B&W 685 and Tacima mains conditioner thown in for good measure? Yes, no?

idc

Hi HD Elvis. Your suggestions are all well regarded and are a good start. Now try and audition kit at your local hifi shop and read reviews and research. I enjoy that part of the buying process.

A recent tip I was giiven was to put the volume on my laptop and Spotify to maximum and then use the amp to control the overall volume. By maximising the laptop and Spotify volumes you apparently reduce distortion, dont know how that works, but it does. Just be careful when you unplug everything or switch to something on the PC, especially if you use headphones!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts