spotify and sonos

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI all,

I have had this on wifi forum with no replies so hopefulluy it will do better here,

Please someone advise thanks

I am aware at present that these do not combine,

But if i take up the premium option can i save/import albums into my itunes and listen thro sonos?

look forward to any ideas

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Would you like a reply from someone that doesn't know the answer? Just be patient for crying out loud.

FWIW if you can save stuff from Spotify into any of the usual formats the Sonos will play it. It's just a question of whether Spotify will let you do that and I don't know because I've never used it.

A

Anonymous

Spotify Premium as you probably know has an off-line mode. This is particularly important to me working in the Middle East as my internet connection is well lets be charitable and call it patchy. Quite often I can't stream from Spotify or Napster.

Making a Spotify playlist available off line means that you effectively download it to your PC . I stream Spotify using an Apple Airport Express into one of the Optical inputs on my Onkyo receiver using Airfoil and it works very well no need for iTunes whatsoever.

Not even sure (and I haven't tried) if you can even copy music from the downloaded playlist but why would you want to ? You'd certainly be breaking all sorts of copyright laws I imagine. Off line playlists are available for as long as you're a Spotify Premium subscriber plus 30 days as far as I'm aware. Oh and I have another playlist loaded on my 64GB Ipod Touch.

Integration with Sonos however is a completely different kettle of fish as the_lhc says if (and it's a big if) you can copy it to a format or more likely into a folder that Sonos can access then obviously Sonos can play it.

I beleive it is possible although not I'm guessing legally. I'm happy enough with Napster on my Sonos system at home although a higher bitrate service would be appreciated the perceived quality via my Sonos set up belies the 128kps and sounds to my tired old ears pretty good for what it is

I suppose if you really wanted to you could run Spotify on a standalone PC and take an analogue output from that via a decent sound card into the analogue in of a ZP90 or again stream using Airfoil/AAPE with or without a DAC into the ZP90 analgue in.

Me I'm happy (for now) with what I have and I suspect Napster will offer a higher quality service before too much longer.

A

Anonymous

The lhc i know i should be patient and thanks for your reply.

I have not tried to file anything into itunes at the moment i have settled for the 30 day trial with napster and had on most of weekend,

This seems best bet at moment and as 2oldnslow my ears are not musically tuned enough to worry on bitrates although i did try pink on napster and through apple lossless and believe i can hear a difference but not enough for me too lose any sleep over,

Again thanks to you both for your help

A

Anonymous

I too thought there would be someone out there with an answer be it yes or no,

I have been searching around today and as far as i understand (which prob completely wrong) if i have spotify premium i can save music in mp3 format and play from itunes in mp3 offline, So if it plays through itunes would that not mean sonos would be able to play the music from itunes,

A

Anonymous

I have Spotify premium and Sonos but I can't seem to find any way to do what you want. As far as I'm aware you can't even tell spotify in which format to save off-line files. You can change the storage location for off-line files but they are stored with a file extension of ".File".

scene

Basically for Sonos to play Spotify files directly would require a little API to allow your Sonos device to talk to the Spotify service. This would have to be provided by Sonos, or most likely, Spotify. To date, both while both parties have said they are interested in the idea, they have said it is for future possible development.

Having said all this, there is a way of capturing the Spotify stream (not the saved files) and allowing a Sonos device to see them. However, this is rather technical, involves installing the Spotify Windows client on a Linux machine using WINE and using some Linux bash scripts and a couple of utilities. More importantly, it is in no way supported by either Sonos, or more importantly, Spotify and may contravene some of their terms of service (I'm really not sure of the legality of this) and may result in your Spoitfy account being suspended. There are links to this process to be found on the Internet, I have not tried them, but having read the process, it would seem to be perfectly viable. Due to the possible legal issues surrounding this solution I cannot recommend it and because of House Rules, nor can I post the link.

BTW, the files streamed from Spotify are in Ogg Vorbis format - Q5 (160kbps) for free, Q9 (320kbps) for Premium.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene:Basically for Sonos to play Spotify files directly would require a little API to allow your Sonos device to talk to the Spotify service. This would have to be provided by Sonos, or most likely, Spotify.
Indeed, it is actually Spotify everyone is waiting for, they may have said they're interested in allowing Sonos to use their service but they don't actually appear to be doing anything about it.

So much so there's actually a petition on the web now to try to put some pressure on them to sort it out.

scene

the_lhc:scene:
Basically for Sonos to play Spotify files directly would require a little API to allow your Sonos device to talk to the Spotify service. This would have to be provided by Sonos, or most likely, Spotify.
Indeed, it is actually Spotify everyone is waiting for, they may have said they're interested in allowing Sonos to use their service but they don't actually appear to be doing anything about it.

So much so there's actually a petition on the web now to try to put some pressure on them to sort it out.

Indeed, I had heard of the petition, but I can't find it at the moment (or I would post the link!). I would urge people to sign up to it, as I think Spotify linked to Sonos would truly rock!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene:the_lhc:Indeed, it is actually Spotify everyone is waiting for, they may have said they're interested in allowing Sonos to use their service but they don't actually appear to be doing anything about it.

Indeed, I had heard of the petition, but I can't find it at the moment (or I would post the link!). I would urge people to sign up to it, as I think Spotify linked to Sonos would truly rock!

Indeed, I can find it but I didn't think I'd be allowed to post the link to it, I'm never quite sure what the rules are regarding external links these days.

scene

the_lhc:Indeed, I can find it but I didn't think I'd be allowed to post the link to it, I'm never quite sure what the rules are regarding external links these days.

Unless it is a link to another forum's thread, or to copyrighted material, you should be OK, I say, "post and be damned!" (The worst that can happen is that the link is removed...)

scene

Indeed, I did - would you like me to edit my last post?
emotion-1.gif

Thanks for the link. Now all we need to add is:

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION!!!

A

Anonymous

Well i reckon i will stick to napster for a while longer then, Thanks to you all for help, i have logged on to petition i reckon iy may be a while as it only shows 85!!!,

Surely all sonos owners would love spotify at hand, As my main comp/speakers is in the office for me to go premium is wasted although i do like the spotify set up over napster, So please everyone sign sign sign
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Google "Sonos Spotify" and you will see that Spotify integration is coming to Sonos along with the iPad app at the end of the month (September 2010). I can't wait
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS