spiked speaker feet.....

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Have always wondered this.....do the spiked feet on floorstander speakers or stands actually add to the performance of the speaker in any way or are they just for anchoring purposes.....?

A

Anonymous

It help not to transfer vibrations into the floor, which in some cases could make it sounds awful - especially when played loud

(At least that's what I would think)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive actually made plinths for mine to sit on and SPIKED into wood on top which has really made the speakers as rigid as I can get them. This in turn tightened up the sound no end and revealed lots more detail that simply couldnt be heard before.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
Ive actually made plinths for mine to sit on and SPIKED into wood on top which has really made the speakers as rigid as I can get them. This in turn tightened up the sound no end and revealed lots more detail that simply couldnt be heard before.

Makes good sense ,rigidity makes a big difference, how have you made em ?, any pics?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Nothing major. Simply a paving slab a few inches larger than my speaker base and some plywood blu tacked to the top. Under the paving slab are (Believe it or not) some old 2p coins blu tacked to it which I levelled up using a spirit level and the coins dig into the carpet so it doesnt move at all.

haha ~

It 'sounds' cr*p but they dont look half bad actually
emotion-4.gif

Sure works a treat anyways. The bass is HEAVYweight whilst the detail and top end shine through

idc

The whole point of spikes is to stop the speaker from moving. Another solution is to screw crosshead screws through the carpet and the rest to spikes into the head of each screw. That way it is easy to get the speaker level on an uneven floor. If you have a level floor and carpet thin enough that the spikes will go all the way through, then that will be enough to do the same job.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
idc:The whole point of spikes is to stop the speaker from moving. Another solution is to screw crosshead screws through the carpet and the rest to spikes into the head of each screw. That way it is easy to get the speaker level on an uneven floor. If you have a level floor and carpet thin enough that the spikes will go all the way through, then that will be enough to do the same job.

Sorry to jump in on another thread, but everyone is stating carpets. How do you sit the spikes on lino or laminate for example?

A

Anonymous

My Monitor Audio GR20s have plinths they are screwed to already, then spikes. I have aluminium spike cups under that, then Tesco's finest granite chopping boards. Overkill?

Works for me, bass is taut, there are no vibrations anywhere, speakers are as rigid as they can be (bar screwing to a concrete or stone floor!)

emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:My Monitor Audio GR20s have plinths they are screwed to already, then spikes. I have aluminium spike cups under that, then Tesco's finest granite chopping boards. Overkill?

Works for me, bass is taut, there are no vibrations anywhere, speakers are as rigid as they can be (bar screwing to a concrete or stone floor!)

emotion-5.gif

Good call. May I ask how much the chopping boards are to buy? (roughly)

idc

daveh75:Either with spike cups,like these for example or just use 2p pieces.

Or for a touch of class these. But since laminate and lino floors can be quite springy I would also go with a heavy plynth of the slab rather than granite chopping board variety.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
Graham_Thomas:My Monitor Audio GR20s have plinths they are screwed to already, then spikes. I have aluminium spike cups under that, then Tesco's finest granite chopping boards. Overkill?

emotion-5.gif

Good call. May I ask how much the chopping boards are to buy? (roughly)

pompey was right but I couldn't find them online anymore.........

A

Anonymous

idc:
daveh75:Either with spike cups,like these for example or just use 2p pieces.

Or for a touch of class these. But since laminate and lino floors can be quite springy I would also go with a heavy plynth of the slab rather than granite chopping board variety.

Or double up on the chopping boards?

There is someone selling essentially 2 tesco blocks on ebay for £50.00! 250% markup. What a cheek.......

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
interesting thread....the screws into floor boards does more than provide an easy way to level the speaker. it decouples the speaker from the floor and improves the bass.

our flat in london had floor boards, using a pair of b& w 602,s on target stands the bass was boomy, in short unlistenable.

4 pozidrive screws through the carpet and sit the spikes in the cups of the screws, i also did the target rack i have, massive improvement, solid bass that you could feel, no boom. it works......

the house we rent now has a solid laminate floor over concrete, the dali suite 2.8 floorstanders i now use are spiked and sit on atacama spike shoes, as is the target rack....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts