Spendor A6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had experiance of the new A6 from Spendor. Would this set of speakers suit my all Cyrus combo - CSXTse, DACXP & PSXR, Mono Xs?

Have the MonoXs enough to drive them properly?

Thanks very much.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Stupe (nice name)...I use to own the A6's. What type of sound do you like in a speaker? Big bold? Detailed? Bright? Subdued? Warm? Do you value deep solid bass?

I can tell you that Cyrus is generally considered a good combo with Spendors because Spendors do not tend to be bright and the Cyrus amps are known for being a little on the lean side. However, the A6's are slightly more forward and lively than previous generation spendors.

What speakers do you have now? What don't you like about them?

A

Anonymous

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Currently using B&W 805s that after a few months use, I find them a little to forward in their presentation with my MonoXs.

I am looking for something a little smoother with more 'body'. That said I have tried a few Dyn's in the past and found them to be bass heavy.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey Stupe

I've been running a set of A6s for about three months now and have to say they have everything I want in a speaker. The treble is clean and extended, the midrange incredibly life like and the bass is superb - well pitched and defined and not loose. They are also pretty room tolerant and cope well when close (ish) to a back wall.

Having said that, I've never used them with anything other than my DNMs
emotion-5.gif
so try and get a demo with your kit. Like jaxwired said, what do you feel is lacking at the moment?

A

Anonymous

My B&Ws although very good indeed are just a little (on the end of my Cyrus kit) too 'sharp' at the top end. I am looking for a little more refinement!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Ah, crossed posts!

The A6's will definately give you what you're looking for over the 805s.

And drive wise you won't have any problems; my DNM monos are 100w per channel and the Spendors present a pretty easy load.

A

Anonymous

Thanks fella's.

Need to get a home demo arranged me thinks!

A

Anonymous

Mr brief experience of the A6s is that they need control. I heard them on the Arcam A38 and found the bass too loose but I think the MonoXs are exactly the sort of amp to put them with. Good luck with it.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Mr brief experience of the A6s is that they need control. I heard them on the Arcam A38 and found the bass too lose but I think the MonoXs are exactly the sort of amp to put them with. Good luck with it.

Thank you my friend.

A

Anonymous

I second Bodfish's and Igglebert's posts, you will have NO problems driving A6s with your Mono Xs and I know they will give you the sound you want. My S6es are not as good "bass" wise as the A6s but the treble and midrange are fairly similar to the A6s. You will love the A6s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all comments and advice.

I look forward to hearing them and promise to let you all know how I get on.

SteveR750

AKL:I second Bodfish's and Igglebert's posts, you will have NO problems driving A6s with your Mono Xs and I know they will give you the sound you want. My S6es are not as good "bass" wise as the A6s but the treble and midrange are fairly similar to the A6s. You will love the A6s.

What's the difference/improvement? The S6e's don't lack control, maybe a bit more extension perhaps...

A

Anonymous

SteveR750: AKL:I second Bodfish's and Igglebert's posts, you will have NO problems driving A6s with your Mono Xs and I know they will give you the sound you want. My S6es are not as good "bass" wise as the A6s but the treble and midrange are fairly similar to the A6s. You will love the A6s.

What's the difference/improvement? The S6e's don't lack control, maybe a bit more extension perhaps...

The S6es have plenty of control and my MonoXs drive them with authority and do so beautifully. I am extremely happy with them. However, the A6s do sound a little "deeper", but I was offered a very good deal on the ex-demo S6es and I couldn't justify adding another £1K or so to go up to the A6s. Diminishing returns etc and my ears decided the difference was not worth it.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
How would the A6 compare to the B&W 805S? If any one has heard them both? Im really drawn to the A6 for some reason Might be the understated looks. Obviosly id demo extensivly before making any changes but im just curious. In particular whats the bass extension of the A6 like (compared to the bowers). Cheers guys!

A

Anonymous

Hey Shaxos. On a KW550 amp the A6s would be excellent but I still think the sound sits well in the floorstanders camp. You're a stand mount man and if anything like me, will struggle to accept the timing differences.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
If I was looking to upgrade from my trusty Linn Keilidhs, listening primarily to classical of all types (including organ), but with a decent spattering of rock and jazz as well, would you tend to go for the A5, or is the A6 worth the extra cash as it would be a Supernait driving them? Obviously I'd demo both, but from everything I've read the Spendors would seem to offer the upgrade I've been contemplating for months. Still not absolutely sure, though..!

A

Anonymous

Just bought Wilson Benesch Square One's for my Cyrus system and they sound fantastic. I've heard B&W805s, 683s, CM7s, MAGS20s but not new Spendor series. They've not got the deepest bass around but they sound sooo sweet. Need loads of running in but they are particularly good with instrument concertos, piano, electric guitar, ballards and 80's dance music (Micheal Jackson!).

A

Anonymous

Well, a very interesting home demo indeed.

In summary I am sticking with my 805s ..... !?!

The Bowers every bit as deep and weighty as the Spendor, also more articulate and pure. To be honest, this dem showed how good the 805s really are. The clincher however was the sheer speed of the 805s compared to the A6s, maybe I am just too used to stand mounts!

That said the A6s really are very good and are significantly better thatn previous Spendors that I have listened to in the past.

On the look out now for some new interconnects to finsih the fine tuning process, get all the Chord out of my set up.

Thanks for all your help folks.

TRENDING THREADS