Spendor A6 review...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
hifi1.jpg

First let me say that these speakers were packed beautifully. They arrived without a scratch which is impressive as they were shipped first from the UK to the USA, then to California, and then finally back across the country to Florida where I live.

The first week, I let them play any time we left the house. So they received many hours of "run-in" during the first week.

After unpacking, immediately apparent was the quality of the cabinet work. The pics on the spendor web site do not do these justice. The speakers look like finely crafted furniture. The grills are a classic style. They are chunky and appear to be comprised of MDF with the usual tightly pulled black fabric. I really like this over the more modern plastic grill frames used by many manufactures now days. The grill is very secure and surprisingly the tapered design is quite attractive. I have always preferred speakers that do not have full length grills. It is very nice to see the exposed wood finish on the bottom third of the speaker front. The plinth has the black finish which matches the grills and provides a very nice contrast to the cherry wood veneer on my speakers. These are aesthetically beautiful speakers.

Listening to these speakers is truly a treat. Playing Ingrid Michaelson “The Hat” from the “Girls and Boys” CD there is a harmonic richness to the sound that is wonderfully entertaining.

1602165338_9099f9cdf9.jpg

Acoustic music is mesmerizing. I have never heard a speaker where acoustic instruments sounded more lifelike. String instruments are especially impressive. Because of this low volume listening maintains much of the magic of higher volumes. Playing “Stairway to Heaven” on the Rodrigo y Gabriela CD, the guitar reproduction is stunning. The lifelike resonance of the guitar is flawlessly reproduced.

6a00c2251d3d4e604a0100a7f5fe5c000e-500pi

What quickly becomes obvious as I spin my favorites is the ability these speakers have to deal with any type of music. Whatever I throw at them, there is never a moment where I wince. There are no bum notes. These speakers are smooth, effortless and wonderfully neutral. There is no trace of brightness. Even tracks like Adele’s “Chasing Pavements” which I have found to be harsh and abrasive when played through other speakers are tamed by the smoothness of the spendors. This is not necessarily a wonderful thing. With all speakers there are tradeoffs. The smooth neutral presentation of these spendors means that they can be slightly less exciting then some speakers that tend to exaggerate or over emphasize high frequency content. Some music can sound too refined or even dull when compared to the bright excited presentation of other less neutral speakers.

But the beauty of these spendor’s is that the vast majority of music does indeed sound splendid. And when the spendor’s are fed a great recording, they sing like nothing I’ve heard before. And I’ve heard plenty. I’m the type of guy that when I go on vacation, I drag my wife to Hi Fi stores so I can hear brands not available in my city. The acoustic piano on the Norah Jones song “Cold Cold Heart” is breathtaking. The spendor's ability to reproduce the piano leaves you awe struck.

Although I would call these speakers mid-sized floorstanders, their presentation is more like stand mounters given their ability to disappear. Female voices are especially crisp and clear. After playing Ingrid Michaelson’s “Way I am” my wife said it was like when we switched from standard definition to high definition television. That is high praise indeed coming from my wife who could not care less about audio or music and whose usual comment after being forced to listen is “yeah, yeah, whatever…”.

But are these speakers the nirvana of home audio? Close, but not quite. As I said before, everything in Hi Fi is a trade off and where these speakers seem to struggle is with bass content. I have found evaluating the bass output of the A6’s to be tricky. With some music like for instance Robin Thicke’s “loverman” the bass is deep and tight.

something_special_official.png

Yet with some music like Peter Cincotti’s “Cinderalla Beautiful” the bass lacks the visceral impact that can be felt with other floorstanders.

pete-cincotti.jpg

I’m torn between thinking that the A6’s are bass shy and slightly unbalanced or that they are simply providing unexaggerated neutral low frequency output. I will say that I have been unable to find any music source that results in a boomy or sloppy bass using the spendors. This has not been true with other speakers I’ve owned including the B&W CM7’s which would simply render some recordings like India.arie’s “brown skin” unlistenable due to the hyper extended bass. That same track sounds brilliant on the spendors.

594px-IndiaArieAcousticSoul.jpg

So, while there are a few selections that lose a small amount of low frequency excitement, the spendor’s ability to competently handle any music source with silky smooth output is preferable. One more note on this subject, some speakers with prodigious bass output can make male voices sound overly heavy, almost distorting the sound, losing the crisp detail of the voice. The spendors do not suffer from this problem in the slightest. Even deep male voices are conveyed with a clean articulate detailed sound.

So, to sum up my findings, the spendors are stunning with acoustic instruments of all types. Their ability to play any type of music flawlessly makes them a long term treasure. Although some speakers can be more exciting when the perfect material is selected the neutrality of the spendors means that over all, more music can be enjoyed. These are brilliant all-arounders. They simply sing regardless of what you send their way.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
We talked about it before and no doubt it'll be mentioned numerous times ... The speakers may be even better with more expensive stuff but I probably would'nt touch the system and just enjoy it for a while.

Very interesting and thanks for taking the time. I must get my cute behind to a dealer and listen to the spendors soon.

A

Anonymous

Slightly compromised positioning for such an expensive loudspeaker...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Is there a possibility of re-positioning the hifi to somewhere without passages and doors behind each loudspeaker? Seperation between speakers looks to be about 4 feet (from this picture).

I would have thought a seperation of about 6 - 8 feet would be better (if listening from a similar distance) with no alcoves/passages behind them.

[Edit} Thanks for posting all the test tracks. I have sampled all of them on iTunes (256kbps AAC) and was gratified that all them came over very nicely on my - far more humble - speakers without any disgrace. Even that one of India Arie's ("Brown skin") that you mentioned passed the bass test fine. Which of your old speakers - apart from the CM7's that you already mentioned - failed?

I was suprised because I have heard some (acoustic and amplified) bass far more challenging than that and just take it for granted that any speakers should cope gracefully with such frequencies whether they reproduce them in full or (like smaller speakers) roll them off. I could understand if you said some speakers were a bit bloated or warm even too lean with such a track, but 'unlistenable' is unforgiveable for any speaker made by a company like B&W.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Eddie Pound:Slightly compromised positioning for such an expensive loudspeaker...

Eddie, I moved the speakers out of that position last week. The speakers are now separated by about 7 feet and slightly toed in.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
drummerman:

We talked about it before and no doubt it'll be mentioned numerous times ... The speakers may be even better with more expensive stuff but I probably would'nt touch the system and just enjoy it for a while.

Maybe... the NAD equipment really is quite excellent. I might upgrade the amp next year just because I can, but I'm pretty skeptical that a major improvement will be had. I hope that you are right and better electronics can make things even better. It's hard to believe since the sound is fantastic already. I'd be somewhat worried about bass performance with a different amp since the NAD is a tad bass rich and this is a nice fit with the spendors.

A

Anonymous

As you're in the states, whack a Bel Canto S300i in there and you'll never look back.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

[Edit} Even that one of India Arie's ("Brown skin") that you mentioned passed the bass test fine. Which of your old speakers - apart from the CM7's that you already mentioned - failed?

chebby, I used to own these Boston Acoustic T1030's and they also would produce a slightly bloated/boomy bass with this type of material, but I haven't tried this exact track on them.

thaisellingp6853966n1.jpg

chebby:

I could understand if you said some speakers were a bit bloated or warm even too lean with such a track, but 'unlistenable' is unforgiveable for any speaker made by a company like B&W.

"Unlistenable" was probably too strong an adjective, I probably should have just said "unpleasant". Let me just say that after trying that track a few times with the CM7's, I permanently skipped it when playing that CD. Although I think the CM7 is a really great speaker and can often sound brilliant (at times eclipsing the spendors), it is definatelly not as good an all-arounder as the spendors and this ultimately is what troubled me with them.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:I'm pretty skeptical that a major improvement will be had.
Don't be. If they're anything like the SA1s you'll be dumbstruck by what they can reveal. I wouldn't be worried about putting a £3k amp on them to be honest.

Thanks for the review
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
seasiders rock:
emotion-5.gif
very pretty... Try a Sugden A21A for a lot less.

Yes Sugden would be on the list too. (Actually it really is no matter what I am about to say about it.)

But it does not have such an illustrious history as Luxman and has no tone controls or BIG flickering meters (sharp intake of breath from all the flat earthers) and it still looks like it was made in some bloke's shed which is ok for my Beresford but not for a £1500 amplifier
emotion-2.gif

http://www.sugdenaudio.com/range/a21.htm

If I win the lottery (the only way I would get all this dreamy stuff) I do not want something that looks like a kit-build.

However, at odds of 14,000,000 to 1 against me scooping the lottery jackpot then the Sugden will do fine, one day.

A

Anonymous

Look around for a Sugden A21P and a decent or matching pre.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have looked at a used A21P on ebay a couple of times but it kept re-appearing under different sellers with the same photo (and varying user feedback from slightly dodgy to 'not with a bargepole'!)

A

Anonymous

Funny you should mention Sugden amps because when I recently demo'd the Spendor A5 & A6 together, the guy from the shop preferred the A5's with the Sugden amp they used in the shop (don't know which amp tho'). I took my Caspian & cables in for the demo and he couldn't believe the difference in the A6's.

I've personally found the bass to be very natural (which I really like) but do think they are very unforgiving of badly recorded music. What they do for well recorded music is, at times, quite startling. I've had my A6's for 3 weeks and listened to a whole spectrum of music and have been amazed at how good they are even though they are still running-in. I have a lot of Jazz & Soul on vinyl and can't believe how much better it sounds. Happy days.
emotion-2.gif

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-1.gif
not a shed, a converted mill, i have been to the factory, it was a bit like stepping in a time warp and going back 30 years.

going to show my age here, bought my first sugden in 78 a c51, p51, £210 ex dem, now that was money. take home wages after tax was about £35 to put things in perspective.

try the a21p with a linn kollector, full remote control, a decent m/m phono stage, 2 pre outs if you find another 21p for bi amping.

it works very well, i ran the combo for about 7 years, now to make you all sick, i sold my a21p last year on flea bay just serviced for less than £250....
emotion-9.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts