Spendor A5 of S5e?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I recently trialled some A5's at home and within 10 mins decided that although i liked these speakers, I was put off by the massive bottom end, just too much bass close to the wall with neighbours and being a little considerate decided that this wouldn't be a good choice and settled for the PMC GB1's.

Now, the GB1's are good but, I find them a little tinny sounding at times and only really sound full when a bit of power is pumped through them. Also, although I am a fan of clarity and mid range I find that there is a little too much top end in the PMC's. Anyone any experience or advice in the sound from S5e's.

If they are a bass heavy as the A5's then I will stay well clear, a bassy sound without shaking the entire premises is what I want.

Also, anyone heard the Neat motive 2se yet?

System: NAIM 122x/150x pre/power; flatcap 2x, cd5xs.

Ray.

ray sheldon:

Hi all, I recently trialled some A5's at home and within 10 mins decided that although i liked these speakers, I was put off by the massive bottom end, just too much bass close to the wall with neighbours and being a little considerate decided that this wouldn't be a good choice and settled for the PMC GB1's.

Now, the GB1's are good but, I find them a little tinny sounding at times and only really sound full when a bit of power is pumped through them. Also, although I am a fan of clarity and mid range I find that there is a little too much top end in the PMC's. Anyone any experience or advice in the sound from S5e's.

If they are a bass heavy as the A5's then I will stay well clear, a bassy sound without shaking the entire premises is what I want.

Also, anyone heard the Neat motive 2se yet?

System: NAIM 122x/150x pre/power; flatcap 2x, cd5xs.

Ray.

By the sounds of it you need a standmounted speaker. Personally, I'd audition PMC TB2is, Neat Motive 3 or Momentum.

A

Anonymous

I think you could be right, I got rid of my CD73T(great player) and Monitor BR2's to my mum, she has the Audiolab 8000A too. When I visit and have a listen I sometimes think how could I justify 5k comparred to the 1k worth she owns and there is something that seduces me about her hifi.

A

Anonymous

ray sheldon:I think you could be right, I got rid of my CD73T(great player) and Monitor BR2's to my mum, she has the Audiolab 8000A too. When I visit and have a listen I sometimes think how could I justify 5k comparred to the 1k worth she owns and there is something that seduces me about her hifi.
Sounds like the evil monster we call expectation.

I've been ridiculed a fair bit over the years on here, but there's little that compares, synergy-wise, with Arcam and Monitor Audio.

I can't and won't tell you what I think is great and what isn't. Go and audition PMC TB2i and/or Neat Momentum 3i (or even PMC DB1i and Neat Motive 3i) and compare it to Arcams A18 and Monitor Audio RX2 (or similar) and see how the difference in price stacks up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts