Speakers

SteveR750

Am toying with the idea of changing my speakers to something more suited to a smaller room, and perhaps a more forward rock orientated sound. Much as I enjoy the Spendors, they can at times be a little on the restrained side. Hi fi yes, but I think on balance I would like a little more colour in the mix.On the positive side, I like the overall tonality and tuneful bass of the Spendors, and the fact that they are relatively easy to position.

So, what are peoples reccommendations to match the Cyrus CD5se and the Kandy K2? I am going to look at used kit so it might take a while to find the right ones, but then half the fun is in the searching!

Most of my music is rock / blues / pop with a smattering of classical.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Try the ProAc Studio 140.2's. They're a little more exciting at top end, with a more forward presentation (even over the original 140's), and are downward firing, so shouldn't be too difficult to position. I would recommend the Response D18's, but I think those would need an amp upgrade at some point.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
depending on budget, atc scm11 or 19. i know you said you want more colour, and the atcs will be less coloured, but they will also let through all the attitude and aggression if that's the way the music is supposed to sound, have very tight, tuneful and punchy bass, and as easy as it gets to position. or maybe proac studio 110, when i demoed some they had a definite forward balance, it was too much with the kandy L.lll cdp and amp, but maybe different with your kit.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I found with the Kandy III and SCM11 pairing Craig was that it just sounded dull. As much as I love the speakers and their qualities, the amp just couldn't bring the SCM11's to life. Also, I found the amp lacking volume with them - I just felt I wanted to turn it up more, but I was already at the 12 0'clock mark.

A

Anonymous

Try Vienna Acoustics, Totem or Sonus Faber. I'd leave the ATCs, though. They certainly have the strengths, but to my ears have always been a touch too dry.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
The only thing I found with the Kandy III and SCM11 pairing Craig was that it just sounded dull. As much as I love the speakers and their qualities, the amp just couldn't bring the SCM11's to life. Also, I found the amp lacking volume with them - I just felt I wanted to turn it up more, but I was already at the 12 0'clock mark.

fair enough, my old L.lll wasn't as powerful as the specs suggested, but whf did pair an L.lll and scm11s as their recommended mid range system for a long time iirc.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It wouldn't be one I'd personally recommend. But then, we're all different
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Dynaudio are pretty good speakers for an involving and rich presentation. Any comments, anyone, how they would match the Kandy? I was thinking the Focus110.

SteveR750

igglebert:Dynaudio are pretty good speakers for an involving and rich presentation. Any comments, anyone, how they would match the Kandy? I was thinking the Focus110.

I had considered these first time round.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
need a lot of space round them and an amp with high current output, the L.lll couldn't quite control the bass properly, so would depend on how much more the k2 has. great with the right amp though.

SteveR750

Was reading on gbhs1's thread about Neats - I listen predominantly to similar music, and maybe these would be somewhat more exciting than the S6e's? The top end of my system is really quite laid back and lacking a bit of sparkle, though te midrange and bass is superbly integrated, detailed and tuneful which I would hate to lose...

SteveR750

I've just been reading on a Naim forum that some owners have experienced a problem with the bass driver having insufficient excursion even at moderate listening levels with bass heavy tracks. I guess I'll find out if this is a problem with the 3s bearing in mind a smaller cabinet and therefore higher fundamental resonance, but has anyone else experienced this with either the Motive 2s or 3s?

I would mention Wilson Benesch - they are cracking little speakers, but only heard them with Bryston gear and Roksan Caspian's monoblocs.

May be worth trying Leema Xones: they are petite floorstanders, very open and detailed so unsure whether they'll give you enough of the qualities you're looking for...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts