speakers to suit Naim amp & CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm using Naim Amp (Nac92 & Nap90.3) and NACD3 player.

Following a little accident I need to replace the speakers.

A local dealer recommended JMLab or JBL's, around the £500-£1000 mark.

Does that seem reasonable? Anyone got a better idea?

Thanks very much

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
In that price bracket you can get Rega RS3's or 5's depending upon the size of your room, and they sound incredible with Naim gear. Apperently Neat also sound good partnered with Naim but I have not heard them so unfortunately I cant comment on those.

A

Anonymous

dont know how these B&W DM4's sound with Naim, but have heard them connected to an Arcam setup and were superb ebay item 270473045235 and a buy it now of £325 ... seller says they are in good condition

The DM4 uses the same tweeter (Celestion HF1300 MkII) and supertweeter (Coles 4001) as the famous Spendor BC1."

A

Anonymous

I listened to a Naim 5i2 and Nait 5i2 today with a set of Neat Motive 2's and it sounded unbelievable! I think I'll be ordering for myself in the next day or two

A

Anonymous

If I had your system and £1000 to spend on it I would focus on an amp upgrade and be prepared to use relatively modest speakers. I'm a recent convert to Linn amplification but if I had to stick to Naim then the most musical option within budget would probably be a NAC102 / NAPSC* / NAP140 for perhaps £800, leaving £200 for the speakers (excluding whatever would be recovered from the sale of the NAC92 / NAP90.3). Compared with what you have, this amp will be more expressive, and will have better timing, a more powerful sound and greater control of the speakers. This is not a subtle difference...

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
dont know how these B&W DM4's sound with Naim, but have heard them connected to an Arcam setup and were superb ebay item 270473045235 and a buy it now of £325 ... seller says they are in good condition

The DM4 uses the same tweeter (Celestion HF1300 MkII) and supertweeter (Coles 4001) as the famous Spendor BC1."

%21BdHUUfQBGk%7E$%28KGrHqQH-E%21Eque2ByyhBK3eW6lUfw%7E%7E_3.JPG

Forget about these, I had these with my former Arcam set up. They were good in there day but that was a long time ago, modern speakers are much improved on these old timers and Naim deserves better speakers.

As for the price, to me they are worth £50 tops..........

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
dean2406: Hello,

I'm using Naim Amp (Nac92 & Nap90.3) and NACD3 player.

Following a little accident I need to replace the speakers.

A local dealer recommended JMLab or JBL's, around the £500-£1000 mark.

Does that seem reasonable? Anyone got a better idea?I think JMLabs would be a little on the 'edgy' side to use with the older Naim amps. As mentioned, Rega match well, and you could also look at the ATC SCM11's, but I would try and audition this pairing first, as the older Naim isn't quite as forgiving of forward sounding speakers as the current ones are. Monitor Audio's new RX series would be a decent match, as these are now smoother than previous MA's. As far as standmount speakers are concerned, take a look at the Dali Ikon 1, KEF XQ10 or 20, and it's worth trying a few models from ProAc and Dynaudio which also go quite well with Naim. Later on you can look at adding a power supply to improve things, or as Tetrist mentions, upgrade amplification.

You need to audition a few pairs with your amplification.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
robster_180:I listened to a Naim 5i2 and Nait 5i2 today with a set of Neat Motive 2's and it sounded unbelievable! I think I'll be ordering for myself in the next day or two

That's the one, Naim & Neat....great combo.

A

Anonymous

MENISCUS:dim_span:

Forget about these, I had these with my former Arcam set up. They were good in there day but that was a long time ago, modern speakers are much improved on these old timers and Naim deserves better speakers.

As for the price, to me they are worth £50 tops..........

OOPs ... sorry then Meniscus.... must however say that I have the old B&W DM2 speakers ..... sound fine to me and sound a lot better (on my system) than some of the newer speakers that I have heard that cost over £1000....

must also say that my old B&W speakers are not connected to Arcam (Arcam was never one of my favourite products)

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I had my B&W DM4s with an Arcam set up and changed them for B&W CM1s and there sound was much more revealing and open and I heard much more detail in my CDs that I never heard before, the hence the reason for my previous comments.........

A

Anonymous

no probs Meniscus ... just pulling your leg! .... However I still think those DM4's are worth a lot more than £50 ....

even at £325, I dont think you will find many new speakers that are much better

Thaiman:

robster_180:I listened to a Naim 5i2 and Nait 5i2 today with a set of Neat Motive 2's and it sounded unbelievable! I think I'll be ordering for myself in the next day or two

That's the one, Naim & Neat....great combo.

Yup, Neat & Naim is......neat! also think about Dynaudio's Focus 140.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies, they're most welcome, and it gives me loads to think about

I'll bear the amp upgrade in mind. It seems like a lot of hassle right now so I have to think about it, and might prefer to leave that until next year.

Fortunately, it's loads more fun than clothes shopping
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts