Speakers to Pair with Yamaha RX-A1010

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.

Would anyone be able to offer advice on Floor Standing speakers to pair with a Yamaha RX-A1010 amp?

Currently I have the Mission M74's, (I've bi-amp'd the Mission's) but I wish to upgrade these. I've set my budget between £700-£1500 for the floorstanders.

My Centre speaker is the Mission M7C1 and the rears are Mission M7DS (not looking to upgrade these yet)

I also have a Paradigm PS1000 sub which packs a real punch for bass, so not looking to change that either yet.

I've been looking at some of these:

B&W CM8 or CM9's

Monitor Audio RX6 or RX8's

Tannoy DCT6 SE

I'm not sure which ones to go for. Hopefully, i'll be organising some visits to some hi-fi shops to have a listen.

Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

Many Thanks

Nilesh :)

Sliced Bread

Welcome Nilesh.

As you have narrowed down a short list, the best advice I can give is to go and demo but for what it’s worth below is my opinion of a comparison between the cm8 and rx6's using an Onkyo rather than Yamaha amplifier:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/bw-cm8-vs-ma-rx6-mission-782-home-demo-results-0

In terms of CM8 vs CM9 or RX6 vs RX8, this will depend greatly on the room.

Separately, WHF recommend the CM9’s with Yamahas 3020, so assuming the house sound is similar across the range then these might be worth considering too.

I would love to hear how you get on if you demo them, as I’m considering replacing my Onkyo with a Yamaha or Pioneer amp so I’m coming at it from the other side J

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
All your suggested speakers are good ones. I agree with bigboss that you should consider mission speakers if your not looking at changing the others in your setup. As for cm8 vs cm9 and rx6 vs rx8 make sure you give each pair an a/b demo. I had big hopes for rx6 but was very disappointed with them but loved rx8. I'm not saying you will too but regardless of reviews and opinions you need to hear them and get the one that puts a smile on your face.

Enjoy your search

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The RX6 is a very good speaker when setup correctly with a good AV pairing. However, the CM8 and indeed CM9 is in a totally different league altogether. As slicedbread said, it depends on your room. If you have a living room roughly 14x12 feet then go for CM8's as the CM9's perform better in a more spacious room where they have room to operate.

Make sure you get a demo of all packages :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Welcome Nilesh.

As you have narrowed down a short list, the best advice I can give is to go and demo but for what it’s worth below is my opinion of a comparison between the cm8 and rx6's using an Onkyo rather than Yamaha amplifier:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/bw-cm8-vs-ma-rx6-mission-782-home-demo-results-0

Separately, WHF recommend the CM9’s with Yamahas 3020, so assuming the house sound is similar across the range then these might be worth considering too.

I would love to hear how you get on if you demo them, as I’m considering replacing my Onkyo with a Yamaha or Pioneer amp so I’m coming at it from the other side J

Interesting, I would love to hear what you pair with them and demo, if you upgrade. The Pioneer is simply stunning with our speakers, so for me the LX86 should be top of your demo list, followed by the Yahmaha :)

A

Anonymous

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice. Very much appreciated.

I'll be ringing a few places today and asking around some hifi shops in the Leicester area to see if they have any of the speakers in stock, and whether I can have a few demo's.

My lounge is 18' x 12.6' so I'll be looking for a set of speakers to fill the room. (the speaker cables I have used are the QED Silver Anniversary XT BiWire ones with QED Airloc connectors)

I think my 14year old Missions (M74's component's) have served me well (and still do) but I feel its that time to move up a notch and get some better ones.

From your advice, I'll give the new Missions a test and also the MA-RX8's along with the B&W-CM8's. I'll keep you all posted on the ones I decide to go for and more importantly, how they sound. (I watch a lot of Bluray movies and listen to a lot of music) so I'll be listening out for the speakers which can handle & provide the best balance of both.

Thanks again.

Sliced Bread

duaplex said:
Sliced Bread said:
Welcome Nilesh.

Interesting, I would love to hear what you pair with them and demo, if you upgrade. The Pioneer is simply stunning with our speakers, so for me the LX86 should be top of your demo list, followed by the Yahmaha :)
Yeah, it's on your recomendation that I'm going to try the Pioneer :)

I love the Onkyo but it has developed a fault. I personally expect a 1400 pound amp to last longer than it has so I will probably change brands,

I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a few other prioriities at the moment (flood in the kitchen from upstairs).

I'll definitely post up when I get the chance to do it :)

Sliced Bread

nilz76 said:
Thank you to everyone who has offered advice. Very much appreciated.

I'll be ringing a few places today and asking around some hifi shops in the Leicester area to see if they have any of the speakers in stock, and whether I can have a few demo's.

My lounge is 18' x 12.6' so I'll be looking for a set of speakers to fill the room. (the speaker cables I have used are the QED Silver Anniversary XT BiWire ones with QED Airloc connectors)

I think my 14year old Missions (M74's component's) have served me well (and still do) but I feel its that time to move up a notch and get some better ones.

From your advice, I'll give the new Missions a test and also the MA-RX8's along with the B&W-CM8's. I'll keep you all posted on the ones I decide to go for and more importantly, how they sound. (I watch a lot of Bluray movies and listen to a lot of music) so I'll be listening out for the speakers which can handle & provide the best balance of both.

Thanks again.
Enjoy :)

Just one thing, in terms of the size of the speaker and bass output the RX8 and the CM9 are similar in that they are designed for medium-large to large rooms, while the where as the RX6 and CM8 are for small-medium to medium rooms.

Though that's a pretty crude guide ;)

A

Anonymous

...so based on my lounge dimensions (18' x 12.6') I have a medium (or small-medium) room. So the RX6's or CM8's should sound nice.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
duaplex said:
Sliced Bread said:
Welcome Nilesh.

Yeah, it's on your recomendation that I'm going to try the Pioneer :) I love the Onkyo but it has developed a fault. I personally expect a 1400 pound amp to last longer than it has so I will probably change brands, I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a few other prioriities at the moment (flood in the kitchen from upstairs). I'll definitely post up when I get the chance to do it :)

I'm flattered :) I can't wait to hear your reaction!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The demo room will be no bigger than your living room, so give them a try. I was advised not to throw any more money at it when buying the CM8's as I would not be able to utilise them enough in a 14x12 room. Hear them both and see :)

Sliced Bread

duaplex said:
Sliced Bread said:
duaplex said:
Sliced Bread said:
Welcome Nilesh.

Yeah, it's on your recomendation that I'm going to try the Pioneer :) I love the Onkyo but it has developed a fault. I personally expect a 1400 pound amp to last longer than it has so I will probably change brands, I'm really looking forward to it, but I have a few other prioriities at the moment (flood in the kitchen from upstairs). I'll definitely post up when I get the chance to do it :)

I'm flattered :) I can't wait to hear your reaction!
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it :) I'm hoping I prefer the Pioneer as it is a little better looking than the Yamaha. Though both are genuine super models compared to the looks of my Onkyo..eiw.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Guys, I'll take a look at the KEF Q900's. See if I can arrange to have a listen. Awesome looking speaker I think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts