Speakers for Rotel amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Gidday

Just after some ideas for new speakers, I have a Rotel RB/RC 06 amp and listen to a wide range from Dire Straights Pink Floyd etc through to Metallica, no rap or techno.

B&W seem to be a popular mix with Rotel, Im thinking about a set of 684's. Are these a replacement for 603's?

I have a budget of around $2000 AUD

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The B&W 684's are fine speakers bvut IMO you can get better

Not sure what makes of speakers you can get across the water but the likes of the Monitor Audio RX6's, QUAD 22L2's and the B&W 683's should be considered.

I demo'd the above and found that the B&W 683's and the QUAD 22L2's sounded a lot better than the B&W 684's and the M/A RX6's won overall.

I listen to similar music as you and the above speakers would suit very well with your Rotel gear IMO

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
A recent set up that I was really impressed with playing rock was a rotel pre and power with some JBL 4318s. I think the(power) amp was the RB 1070. It just had fantastic attack, and resolution. Gave a great neutral powerful presentation for rock with the feeling of lots to spare.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate,

I just had a quick look online and the quad 22l2's are around $2600 (ex demo available for $2200) MA RX6 are around $2099 and the B&W 683's are $2350.

There is only one dealer here where I live so makes auditioning a bit hard, they stock B&W

I was a bit worried the bass might be a bit much from the 683's as the amp has no bass/trebble control. How do you think the amp will go running the above bigger speakers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Not at all

The B&W 683's are very articulate and superb sounding; they compete well with the M/A RX6's and deffo better the B&W 684's which, to me, sounded wooly and a bit soft at times.

I dont think it would be an issue with the lack of bass/treble controls on your Rotel

The QUAD 22L2's are well worth their price and would suit the Rotel combo and your tastes in music well.

A

Anonymous

Im going home to NZ in a few days so will listen to the ones you have suggested while Im there.

Anyone had much to do with Boston Acoustics, my old man bought a set around 10 years ago. Not sure of the model but they were around $3500 back then. He has a Plinius 2100i anp (kiwi Brand) and a micromega cd player. The setup is unbelieveable but way out of my pricerange unfortunately

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts