Speakers for Rega Brio-r

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some opinions on which speakers i should go with for my new amp? My room is fairly small around 4 x 3.5 meters, the speakers will be on the 4 meter side and the listening position is the couch which is against the wall so roughly 3 meters from the speakers. After reading reviews it seems that Spendor and ATC speakers have the charactaristics i want, naturalness, precise timing, and very even tonal balance. The problem is they all seem to need huge amounts of watts to be run efficiently. My sources are a Rega P3 turntable and will most likely go with the the Apollo-r CD player when it comes out. Thanks.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Best off going to have a listen. Some find the Spendors a touch warm, while others find the ATCs a difficult listen being a little clinical for comfort. In that price bracket I'd also add the little Harbeths to your list, and perhaps the Totem floor standers (Arro, I think).

A

Anonymous

Rega RS1s or RS3s would be the natural choice. Both are very well regarded.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys :)

My budget is as much as i have to spend to get the the sound i want, without going over board and getting speakers that really warrant a better amp and source.

Im open to both stand mount and floorstanders, though i think stand mounts would prob suit better to my room size?

The Rega speakers look lovely, but if my amp is capable of taking advantage of better speakers, i will go with the best i can get. The harbeths have me thinking, if i did get them i would be buying blind though. If Australian customers want there products you have to deal directly with them in the UK as there is no dealer here.

So i was thinking myself Spendor SA-1? would they give me a decent sound stage given the size of my room?

Also thought I should mention my music prefrences. Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Yes, The Moody Blues, Neil Young, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley, James Taylor, The Beatles, Nirvana, Angus and Julia Stone, Tommy Emmanuel, John Williams, Andres Segovia, Julian Bream. (The Final 3 being classical guitarists) I've also recently been introduced to some other classical music which i enjoy aswell.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

My budget is as much as i have to spend to get the the sound i want, without going over board and getting speakers that really warrant a better amp and source.

Im open to both stand mount and floorstanders, though i think stand mounts would prob suit better to my room size?

The Rega speakers look lovely, but if my amp is capable of taking advantage of better speakers, i will go with the best i can get. The harbeths have me thinking, if i did get them i would be buying blind though. If Australian customers want there products you have to deal directly with them in the UK as there is no dealer here.

So i was thinking myself Spendor SA-1? would they give me a decent sound stage given the size of my room?

Also thought I should mention my music prefrences. Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Yes, The Moody Blues, Neil Young, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley, James Taylor, The Beatles, Nirvana, Angus and Julia Stone, Tommy Emmanuel, John Williams, Andres Segovia, Julian Bream. (The Final 3 being classical guitarists) I've also recently been introduced to some other classical music which i enjoy aswell.

Thanks again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The SA1s are my favorite small speaker (at that price), but would worry that the BrioR doesn't have what it takes to drive them properly. My first port of call would be Rega's own speakers (as has been suggested above).

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
musicloverr said:

Thanks again.
Fancy a trip to New Zealand? There's a Harbeth distributor there, apparently. However, with speakers you really should try before you buy.

The Brio can certainly do better than Rega's own speakers, but then again, Rega speakers have never seemed anything special to me. Another thought is the Dali Mentor, but note it, like the Harbeths, isn't big on bass.

A

Anonymous

when i was looking for speakers for the brio - the main advice i got was demo some and see - and it turned out to be great advice.

i tried a few speakers including rega, MA and B&W and in the end the sound and feeling I wanted from my system came from the B&W 865s. it took a while but the more i listened, the more i realised they were the ones.

so i think its up to individual taste and what you want from your sound :)

A

Anonymous

i would recommend you listen to the dynaudio excite x12's with the brio-r, a very good pairing imo..

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure, Imo monitor audio sound best in home theater. The brio r got a serious problem, id find shrillness in vocals/high mid it can sound nice soft and airy but suddenly SSS nelly furtado voice particulary is a pain to listen to. I dont got a rega dac precisely but a cheap lm4568 opamp modded pc soundcard with cirrius logic 4382.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have Neat Petit SX, which I would thoroughly recommend, for a detailed, engaging listen. I prefered these to Neat Momentum 3, PMC DB1i and ATC SCM 7, which I auditioned at the time.

A

Anonymous

I would seriously avoid the Rega R3s. I purchased a Brio amp and a pair of R3s, and after a year of MODERATE use, the right channel woofer blew. The dealer explained how fragile these speakers where, and listening to them at high volume(over 3/4) was unwise. I never pushed the dealer at the cost of the repair(after much arguing w/the US Rega Distributor). Well, a year later, the same thing happened to the same speaker/woofer. I never work these hard at all, but baby them tremendously. The dealer keeps telling me how fragile these speakers are. But if you can't listen to a variety of genres at mid level volumes, what good are they?

A

Anonymous

I would seriously avoid the Rega R3s. I purchased a Brio amp and a pair of R3s, and after a year of MODERATE use, the right channel woofer blew. The dealer explained how fragile these speakers where, and listening to them at high volume(over 3/4) was unwise. I never pushed them hard at all! The dealer ate the cost of the repair(after much arguing w/the US Rega Distributor). Well, a year later, the same thing happened to the same speaker/woofer. I never work these hard at all, but baby them tremendously. The dealer keeps telling me how fragile these speakers are. But if you can't listen to a variety of genres at mid level volumes, what good are they?

A

Anonymous

The new RS line, however, has a new tweeter. ;-)

I'm running a Brio with the RS5s and love it.

jovior

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site

Rega RS3
Altavoces de suelos de 3 vías.
Antes: 899,00 €
Precio: 459,00 €
IconoFinanciacion6-P.gif

item-stock1.gif

logo212.gif

valoracion5.gif

Rega RS5
Altavoces de suelo 3 vías.
Antes: 1.199,00 €
Precio: 649,00 €
IconoFinanciacion6-P.gif

item-stock1.gif

logo212.gif

valoracion5.gif

Rega RS7
Altavoces de suelo 3 vías.
Antes: 2.199,00 €
Precio: 1.099,00 €
IconoFinanciacion6-P.gif

item-stock1.gif

logo212.gif

valoracion5.gif

http://www.supersonido.es/cas/site/productos-subcategorias.asp?id=5&idMarca=212#filtrar (Spain)

Merry Christmas,

Joseph

A

Anonymous

I had a great demo the other day with the rega brio-r and a couple of pairs of speakers, the first set were the pmc db1i's, they are amazing little speakers and image very well, they had a great soundstage and imersed you in the music, but for me they lacked the bottom end and unfortunatly at over a grand they are not cheap.

To be honest i felt the pmc's were over priced by a few hundred quid.

my dealer then advised me to listen to a pair of the new kef R300's, WOW these are stunning looking speakers, they scream quality. amazingly the rega drove the kefs superbly, they were precise neutral, with excellent timing/seperation and the bass was out of this world, you could actually feel the air moving around the room. the R300's are a bargain at a grand and £50 cheaper than the pmc's.

we used the new rega apollo as source..also very good!

im going back to an all rega system with some shinny new kefs very shortly....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
I had a great demo the other day with the rega brio-r and a couple of pairs of speakers, the first set were the pmc db1i's, they are amazing little speakers and image very well, they had a great soundstage and imersed you in the music, but for me they lacked the bottom end and unfortunatly at over a grand they are not cheap.

To be honest i felt the pmc's were over priced by a few hundred quid.

my dealer then advised me to listen to a pair of the new kef R300's, WOW these are stunning looking speakers, they scream quality. amazingly the rega drove the kefs superbly, they were precise neutral, with excellent timing/seperation and the bass was out of this world, you could actually feel the air moving around the room. the R300's are a bargain at a grand and £50 cheaper than the pmc's.

we used the new rega apollo as source..also very good!

im going back to an all rega system with some shinny new kefs very shortly....

Glad you liked the R300.....I certainly was impressed with the R700s when I heard them briefly.

IMO Kef have come up with a winning formula, with this particular range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts