Speakers for Naim Superuniti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Fritsveer

Thanks for posting and yes, I would be interested to know how you get on with your speaker auditions.

I have now had the Superuniti [SU] for 5 days, arriving in the nick of time before Christmas.

The difference that the SU has made to my PMC DBIi speakers is more and better than I had hoped for. The better amp and DAC etc. in the SU have really made them sing with marked improvement particularly in being able to play them satisfactorily at low volumes (when neccessary).

I am delighted with the upgrade from the 'uniti and for the first time I am actually finding myself turning down the volume at times! The PMCs have been brought to life as John Duncan and others have suggested so I am totally enjoying the new improved music while still trying to stick to my 'one box' [the SU] commitment.

As yet I have not turned on the sub (a BK XLS200) as I want to get used to the system without it for a while. "Deep Vibes" radio at 320kb/s is a good test for this and when I had my first listen via the SU, I had to check that the sub was in fact off - it was. No doubt I will be dialling the sub in at some stage but for now the SU has done to the DB1i's what I wanted it to and more.

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks iceman

A fair few here have recommended the atc-scm19 so I will be trying to give them a listen. I do like the fact that they are sealed cabinets/easy placement. I have never seen them in the flesh but note they are quite a bit bigger than the DB1i and the finish looks a bit errm iffy on the photos I have seen. However, I have to say that your 40s look great in black finish, are they in piano black (lacquer)?

iceman16

Stevee_W said:
Thanks iceman

A fair few here have recommended the atc-scm19 so I will be trying to give them a listen. I do like the fact that they are sealed cabinets/easy placement. I have never seen them in the flesh but note they are quite a bit bigger than the DB1i and the finish looks a bit errm iffy on the photos I have seen. However, I have to say that your 40s look great in black finish, are they in piano black (lacquer)?
The scm40s I've got are in black ash. I forgot to mention that with naim system you should stay away from mains filter or conditioner and just plug them straight to wall sockets.I've been using a tacima for about 3 years before we moved house cause I only got 2 wall sockets in my listening room that time so I have no choice but to use an extension lead(tacima).Now since we move house there are 4 sockets ready on the wall.When I first connected the naims with the atc's using tacima,I was not impressed at all and thinking they need to run in for a while.Then when I decided to plug all the mains cord directly to the wall,all I can say is WOW!I can't believe what I'm hearing(after 3 years!).I almost upgraded to nap250.2 before this happens.Now I'm quite happy with the overall sound quality and the naims PRaT was there feeding the scm40s without a sweat!btw the atc's are the most neutral speakers I've ever heard.Hope this helps mate..Cheers!

Stevee_W

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks iceman - I too have the Naim connected via a Tacima for all the good reasons I had heard about. So your information is really interesting. I have (already) previously booked our electrician to come over in January to change the point over to a 4 gang so will be more than interested to see how it all fairs plugging the Naim in direct to mains. Many thanks for that info I will be giving that a go as soon as ...

You say that the atcs are neutral but I have read elsewhere that they are quite revealing?

Cheers

Stevee

iceman16

Stevee_W said:
Thanks iceman - I too have the Naim connected via a Tacima for all the good reasons I had heard about. So your information is really interesting. I have (already) previously booked our electrician to come over in January to change the point over to a 4 gang so will be more than interested to see how it all fairs plugging the Naim in direct to mains. Many thanks for that info I will be giving that a go as soon as ...

You say that the atc' are neutral but I have read elsewhere that they are quite revealing?

Cheers

Stevee
Well this is all subjective..ATCs are neutral in the sense that they reveal what is been fed on them.They don't add or subtract on what is on the recordings and they don't overemphasize every note of the music being played.

Stevee_W said:
Thanks iceman -

You say that the atcs are neutral but I have read elsewhere that they are quite revealing?

Cheers

Stevee

Hi Stevee

I think it is good that ATC monitors are revealing as at least these monitors won't hold back the qualities of the SuperUniti and the recordings. ATC monitors are low distortion, flat and honest designs. Ime ATC monitors reproduce the stability and the power of the sound in an uncoloured and natural manner.

Btw, try and have a look at the SLMT mid/bass unit (as is also used in SCM20 professional monitors) of SCM19 monitors in the flesh (away from the cabinets). This mid/bass unit is massively built/engineered as it weighs 9kg!

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Cno

Ive not tried the PM1 with my Linn kit yet... But I cant wait!

My B&W XT4 come alive at a volume that means I cant hear the wife or the kids talk to me. Some would say thats good!

The naim Superuniti paired with PM1 sounded really special. They work great together but bass doesnt carry much low down thunder - but the clarity of the mid range and trebble was a bit special.

Will see what my PV1 adds to the mix!

I will report back with an update as soon as I get a pair home...

Cheers

Gary

A

Anonymous

Hi steevee.

Been long since I wrote I was testing different speakers with the superuniti. I have come to a decision in the meantime. Tested Ovartor 400 and Monitor audio 200 and 300GX. It took a while since I couldn’t, at first, direct compare the speakers. I found a nice shop in Haarlem (NL) where I could compare the speakers with the superuniti.

First I compared 200 and 300 and decided on the 300 to be compared with the Ovator 400.

My impression: Both speakers have a good low frequency, MA a little lower. In the middle range the Ovators have a bit of a compact sound. It sounds like a smaller room where the MA is brighter, sounding the music is played in a bigger room. The Ovator have the same sort of sound like a B&W. Like u have cotton earplugs. I don’t know proper English words for it.

I decided to listen to the 300 and superuniti in my own home. Not sure if you read about lack of bass as presumed by some. But I got all the bass these people are lacking. Very low, solid, clear, tight bass. My pants where vibrating at one point.

So I decided to purchase the 300 in combination with the superuniti. Looking forward to having it at home!!

Fritsveer said:
Hi steevee.

Been long since I wrote I was testing different speakers with the superuniti. I have come to a decision in the meantime. Tested Ovartor 400 and Monitor audio 200 and 300GX. It took a while since I couldn’t, at first, direct compare the speakers. I found a nice shop in Haarlem (NL) where I could compare the speakers with the superuniti.

First I compared 200 and 300 and decided on the 300 to be compared with the Ovator 400.

My impression: Both speakers have a good low frequency, MA a little lower. In the middle range the Ovators have a bit of a compact sound. It sounds like a smaller room where the MA is brighter, sounding the music is played in a bigger room. The Ovator have the same sort of sound like a B&W. Like u have cotton earplugs. I don’t know proper English words for it.

I decided to listen to the 300 and superuniti in my own home. Not sure if you read about lack of bass as presumed by some. But I got all the bass these people are lacking. Very low, solid, clear, tight bass. My pants where vibrating at one point.

So I decided to purchase the 300 in combination with the superuniti. Looking forward to having it at home!!

Hi Fritsveer

Nice one 8) and i hope that you enjoy the performance of the GX300's/SuperUniti for many years to come :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts