Speakers for Kandy kit

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Good afternoon all.

This post marks a first for me. I have given plenty of (hopefully fairly useful and honest) advice on this forum over the last epoch or two, but now I require a little help myself...

As you can see from my sig down below, I have two sets of speakers, which I alternate depending on mood. Trouble is, both sets, while sounding excellent, and very 'hifi', just don't seem to hook me as they should. The 753s are amazing, and highly detailed, but are a bit erratic in their bass response. Some tracks work, others not so well. The B&Ws are also amazing, but I find the sound seems 'distant'- I've really got to give them the beans to make them spring into life. All good, but I live in a terraced house so high volumes are out most of the time.

Over the years, I have built my system up as a 'hifi' system- more concerned with accuracy and audiophile-qualities than music itself. I now realise that my system is not as good as I've fooled myself into thinking. I love the Roksan kit, and really would like to hang on to it, so can anyone suggest some speakers -preferably standmounts- which would compliment it?

The room is about 3x5 metres, and I listen mainly to electronica and rock/metal, so good, solid bass response is a must (although I'm not looking to shake the windows out). I've considered all the usual suspects, including the Kandy speakers, but just wondered if anyone has any suggestions...

Doesn't matter if they're new or second-hand, any thoughts welcome! Obviously, where possible I will audition first... Anyone know much about the AE Aelite 2s? Like the look of them but have read conflicting reports!

Hi Dougal

Firstly, if you play your music at either idle or low values then I would suggest floorstanders. Although price-compatible standmounters (it is said by some) to be more agile and retrieve better detail, but I don't subscribe to that notion; floorstanders are (generally) better at low volumes, project more bass and treble without the compulsion to crank the amp up and shake the walls to dust.

I've not heard the MKIII Kandy but listened to the LIII and they sound great with MA RS6 or subsequent RX6. The synergy is very good indeed, projecting lashings of detail and the lower frequencies are well controlled.

If you want to stick with Stand mounted speakers I would seriously recommend PMC DB1's. They are incredible sounding little monitors and have a sound that's neutral and very engrossing.

http://whathifi.com/Review/PMC-DB1i/UserReviews/

Hope this helps.

T

the record spot

Well, Leema's Xero standmounts spring to mind, as do the Quadral Pico (if you can find them). EB Acoustics (who...?
emotion-5.gif
) spring to mind with their EB1 which apparently plumb the depths with style.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Cheers both!

Seen a lot of mentions for the EBs, guess they must be pretty good- but they look hideous, IMHO. That said, I'll give 'em a chance and try them out... Will google the Quadrals and see what I can dig up!

Nice shout on the PMCs. Been aspiring towards a pair for years (I'd prefer the floorstanders but beggars can't be choosers), but even secondhand they are out of my range most of the time. But they are the absolute nuts so I may start saving and selling things.

I will also, as funds and availability allow, purchase a Kandy power amp to go with the KA-1...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, feel a bit silly now...

Had a minor fiddle with the positioning of the B&Ws, and in the process discovered one of them was out of phase. Elementary error, embarrassed and disgusted with myself for not picking up on it earlier. I have since flogged myself as punishment.

The sound is now absolutely glorious- really fills the room, and the soundstage just floats there like a hologram. Bass is superb, tight and deep. In fact, they do everything right- I really can't fault them at all. (Although my next upgrade will most likely be some PMCs!).

Suddenly drawn to the eBay CD section instead of the consumer electronics bit, so mission accomplished...

Thanks for the advice anyway guys, I will get over the humiliation soon!

TRENDING THREADS