Speakers for classical music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system is Cambridge Audio Azur 640 v2 CD player, 640 v2 DAB tuner and 640 amplifier connected with Azur Reference interconnects. I updated these components from the old CA 500 series but have not yet updated my speakers and speaker cables. The existing versions are Eltax LR6.5 speakers with Gale XL 315 bi-wire speaker cable.

I listen only to classical music and opera, and was considering the Dali Lektor 1's on Soundstyle Z2 stands with QED Silver Anniversary-XT cables. I'm also willing to consider floorstanders.

Does anyone know if this is overkill for my system, and if so is there anything else out there?

Thanks everyone.

A

Anonymous

I'm no expert, but to my ears the Italian brands sound the best with classical, followed by the some of the models from Canton. Vienna acoustics are also rated highly.

Sadly, in my case anyway, none of these are budget models.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
KeithBraidwood, you can do much better than the Dali's if your budget would allow.

If you read some of my other posts you will notice that I listen to classical music only, and I have asked basically the same questions.

Budget speakers can handle classical music fairly well but you will have to set your musical goal.

For now, do away with QED cables and Dali's. Don't assemble a system according to reviews and ratings.

What is your budget and room size?

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:
KeithBraidwood, you can do much better than the Dali's if your budget would allow.

If you read some of my other posts you will notice that I listen to classical music only, and I have asked basically the same questions.

Budget speakers can handle classical music fairly well but you will have to set your musical goal.

For now, do away with QED cables and Dali's. Don't assemble a system according to reviews and ratings.

What is your budget and room size?

There's a few speakers around that would suit Classical rather well, but you might need to spend more than planned. If you can find some Spendor S3e at an acceptable price then you will get excellent sound staging, something that classical seems to benefit from. Later you could add a sub to give you then welly for the big transients. The sub idea will be more important if you have a big room.

A

Anonymous

I have the spendor s3e's in my main system, and have tried them in my bedroom system (which is 640a / cd) and it works very well. ÿLovely and smooth etc.

ÿ

I wouldn't go for the qed cable though, I have the chord silverscreen, and this seems to mellow out the treble of the CA gear.

ÿ

Try the spendor speakers. ÿLook on bada web, and some of the second hand sites. ÿI got mine for £410 delivered as they were a demo pair. ÿI think they are that good, that I have stopped looking to upgrade thins.

ÿ

PS try van den hul interconnects, as these seem to work well with clasical also.

ÿ

Philÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts