speakers floorstanding and standmount

A

Anonymous

Well pretty straight forward really, and a subject at the very basics of hifi. So my answer will be simple, allowing others to delve deeper:

Floorstanders = greater depth and scale in bass due to larger cabinet design.

Standmounts = greater attack and more accuracy (in general) in the mid and high frequencies

I prefer floorstanding speakers due to great music and film performance but everyone to their own.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
ScottH:
Well pretty straight forward really, and a subject at the very basics of hifi. So my answer will be simple, allowing others to delve deeper:

Standmounts = greater attack and more accuracy (in general) in the mid and high frequencies

I prefer floorstanding speakers due to great music and film performance but everyone to their own.

You hit the nail on the head with this reply - stand mounters (or bookshelf as I cringingly say as they should always be properly stand mounted) generally also offer better soundstaging though it does depend on what floorstandings you're comparing them to.

Do you have any specific models shortlisted?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply's

no i have nothing in mind as yet im still learning the basics, but hopefully soon i will setting up a new system and by the looks of hifi equipment you get what you pay for, so im thinking of buying second hand and getting what would be out of my price range new.

So is it normal to have a sub if you go for the standmounts?

A

Anonymous

In general for 2 channel audio, the vast majority do not go for a subwoofer. This is due to a few reasons.

Subwoofers tend to create a "muddy" bass response, unless purchasing a high end unit, the sonic performance can often hinder rather than benefit music fidelity. The bass produced by floorstanding speakers can be more controllable, less overpowering, and I feel all the frequencies tend to amalgamate smoothly.

Subwoofers generally integrate better with a home cinema setup. By this I mean a 5.1 or a 7.1 etc home cinema amplifier and a set of 5 or more satellite speakers. Such home cinema amplifiers are more specific to movies, and the subwoofer provides all the low down grunt required for the explosions and the sound effects.

I feel that if you want to go for music and a 2 channel setup, you are best suited to purchase floorstanding speakers, as they produce a more complete soundstage, than opting for 2 standmounts and a sub. Ive had many configurations in the past and floorstanding speakers offer alot more bass than standmounts, yet my previous standmounts were fantastically musical. I bought the B&W CM7s as I found the midrange drivers offered alot of the attack and accuracy of my previous standmounts. I love them to bits
emotion-2.gif

I have read a few threads on this site that praise the introduction of a sub to a 2 channel setup. Like I said before, everyone to their own. You should go on what you hear, not what you have heard. Your decision should be the most important, I hope this helps a little.
emotion-21.gif

You should take time to read reveiws on how to partner seperate systems, how certain speakers match certain amplifiers...its all a learning process, but the rewards are huge. I listened to music I had for years as if it was new, a good system opens your eyes to how good music can sound again.

Carve:

Thanks for the reply's

no i have nothing in mind as yet im still learning the basics, but hopefully soon i will setting up a new system and by the looks of hifi equipment you get what you pay for, so im thinking of buying second hand and getting what would be out of my price range new.

So is it normal to have a sub if you go for the standmounts?

In addition to the other replies, standmounted are generally (not always) easier to place, hence why some refer to them as bookshelf speakers. However, the exceptions are brands such as Dynaudio, certain Monitor Audio, PMC...

I prefer floostanders out of convenience: Because we don't have room for a sub, they are better with films.... also, generally again, sound better at low volumes.

A

Anonymous

ScottH:

In general for 2 channel audio, the vast majority do not go for a subwoofer. This is due to a few reasons.

Subwoofers tend to create a "muddy" bass response, unless purchasing a high end unit, the sonic performance can often hinder rather than benefit music fidelity. The bass produced by floorstanding speakers can be more controllable, less overpowering, and I feel all the frequencies tend to amalgamate smoothly.

Subwoofers generally integrate better with a home cinema setup. By this I mean a 5.1 or a 7.1 etc home cinema amplifier and a set of 5 or more satellite speakers. Such home cinema amplifiers are more specific to movies, and the subwoofer provides all the low down grunt required for the explosions and the sound effects.

I feel that if you want to go for music and a 2 channel setup, you are best suited to purchase floorstanding speakers, as they produce a more complete soundstage, than opting for 2 standmounts and a sub. Ive had many configurations in the past and floorstanding speakers offer alot more bass than standmounts, yet my previous standmounts were fantastically musical. I bought the B&W CM7s as I found the midrange drivers offered alot of the attack and accuracy of my previous standmounts. I love them to bits
emotion-2.gif

I have read a few threads on this site that praise the introduction of a sub to a 2 channel setup. Like I said before, everyone to their own. You should go on what you hear, not what you have heard. Your decision should be the most important, I hope this helps a little.
emotion-21.gif

You should take time to read reveiws on how to partner seperate systems, how certain speakers match certain amplifiers...its all a learning process, but the rewards are huge. I listened to music I had for years as if it was new, a good system opens your eyes to how good music can sound again.

Thankyou for that insight
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

it actually helps a great deal thank you very much ScottH
emotion-21.gif

I went around a friends house and spent the evening listening to his new system, it was fairly expensive but not crazy money and it realy was amazing, I listened to Wish You Were Here all the way through and it was like hearing it for the first time, so many sounds in there that i hadn't even heard before. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't heard music that good since. So i guess thats what im kind of aiming for now
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Glad you find it uselful, also bear in mind that the cables are also just as important as the components. It is a adviced that you spend a good 10% of the setups value on cabling alone. When I upgraded my speaker cable I could not believe the difference. All the best, Scott
emotion-2.gif

Carve:

it actually helps a great deal thank you very much ScottH
emotion-21.gif

I went around a friends house and spent the evening listening to his new system, it was fairly expensive but not crazy money and it realy was amazing, I listened to Wish You Were Here all the way through and it was like hearing it for the first time, so many sounds in there that i hadn't even heard before. That was about 15 years ago and I haven't heard music that good since. So i guess thats what im kind of aiming for now
emotion-2.gif

What speakers does your friend have?

T

the record spot

ScottH:Glad you find it uselful, also bear in mind that the cables are also just as important as the components. It is a adviced that you spend a good 10% of the setups value on cabling alone. When I upgraded my speaker cable I could not believe the difference. All the best, Scott
emotion-2.gif

Oh and you were doing so well too...! My only caveat would be that price is a fallacy. Quality of build and an understanding of what they do is more important than a monetary barometer (who came up with 10-15% anyway? What was that based on? Hmmm...). Personal experience has testified to it, up to a point.

A

Anonymous

unfortunately i never remembered and he now lives in Oz and havent spoke to him in years, otherwise i would prob go out and by that exact same set up

A

Anonymous

the record spot:ScottH:Glad you find it uselful, also bear in mind that the cables are also just as important as the components. It is a adviced that you spend a good 10% of the setups value on cabling alone. When I upgraded my speaker cable I could not believe the difference. All the best, Scott
emotion-2.gif

Oh and you were doing so well too...! My only caveat would be that price is a fallacy. Quality of build and an understanding of what they do is more important than a monetary barometer (who came up with 10-15% anyway? What was that based on? Hmmm...). Personal experience has testified to it, up to a point.

Agreed, as stated previously, my emphasis was placed upon what you hear as opposed to what you have heard...perhaps this makes me a hypocrit hehe
emotion-4.gif
More important than percentages and sums...is the fact you are happy with the system as a whole, was just mentioning that cables are as a essential as components.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

You've got some very good advise from Scott and others above and can't add much to this except to say that I very much agree that second hand gear is a great way to go if you're setting up a starter system from scratch as you can get some good bargains, some fantastic stuff and personalise it to your liking as you go...

but remember this takes time and patience and alot of research and auditioning...so if possible I would buy ex-display or older equipment from hi-fi shops if at all possible for thiat reason, or better still try it at home first over a weekend maybe...

I have bought most of my stuff second hand, ex-display or from friends so have fun and take your time...it is a great but endless search for your perfect system...

fouad

Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Dear ScottH, If I can ask u (and others) in this thread: I also have the CM7s and really love them (with Primare I30+CD31). I find them analytical yet quite liquid/natural. However, I find the staging quite basic, ie. the sound seems to come out only from the boxes and only voice is in the middle (between the 2 speakers). I have a 10-yr old Denon mini which I have added to my TV and the soundstage is magical!! Is it that the Denon bookshelf speakers are so small (really tiny but great Mission-made speakers) that I had low expectations of them, or cinema/film sound is naturally more dramatic/3D? The CM7s are 40-50 cm from each wall and pointed directly at my ears, is that recommended? Thanks and apologies for digressing slightly.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ScottH:

This is the best crisp and accurate answer that I can agree with him. However, I have few more observations to add from my view point.

I am moving from HT (Rotel prepro power with B&W CM7, Center) to pure HiFi due to change in my listening habits.

CM7s did wonders to me, I have started hearing a lot more than ever before. However with the quest to have a proper HiFi set up, I have started from scratch with selling off all my gear to my friend (except the PV1 and 601s).

I was in a dilema about floor standers vs stand mounts but I read somewhere on the internet about the accurate reproduction of sound (everything that the recordist recorded) and if it goes upto 20HZ then the system should be able to play it, to start with. While at this point the wise guy, also emphasizes on the importance of a sub woofer in a pure HiFi setup but at the same time agrees with the challenges of integrating just any sub.

Once I appreciated the importance of Sub from this perspective, I am currently brave enough to take the challenge of integrating the sub and this also means stand mounts are the way to go for me due to the added benefit that I would get ( Below 60HZ range is covered by sub and no floor stander goes as low as 20 HZ anyway, I could be wrong though).

Also, I personally feel that Floor Standers create a greater WOW for the first 15-30 min but for extended listening times, the fatigue factor with floor standers seems to be much higher than stand mounts.

I am currently considering B&W 805 & DynAudio Focus 140 but I still need to listen to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts