Speakers - Daisy Chain

cjackson

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
this doesnt sound like a good idea to me but I would like a second opinion.

My friend wants a surround sound effect through his hi-fi plugged into his TV, he only has one set of terminals on the back of his Aiwa amplifier. To the rear of his speakers he has the option of bi-wirea so it's not a fixed wire setup, he wants to know if he can obviously attach his speakers to this cable but then attach some more speakers running from the back of his speaker terminals from another cable attached to the same terminals.

i said it doesn't sound good but aslong as the other speakers have the same 6 OHM rating I cant see there being too much of a problem as long as he doesnt drive the system to hard.

Thanks

Any opinions ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Speakers connected like that are effectively in parallel, so two sets of 6ohm speakers will have an effective impedance of 3ohms, which will almost certainly cause the system's amp to trip out. Or worse.

Connecting them in series will give an impedance of 12ohms, which will probably limit volume levels, but is less likely to damage the system. To do this, on each channel the positive/red connection from the system goes to the red connection on the first speaker, then you need to run a wire from the first speaker's negative/black terminal to the second speaker's positive/red, then a wire back from the second speaker's negative/black terminals to the negative/black terminal on the system's amp output.

Sound daunting? Thought so.

I'd give either method the swerve, personally - he won't get a surround effect either way, but just a nasty sonic mess.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Speakers connected like that are effectively in parallel, so two sets of 6ohm speakers will have an effective impedance of 3ohms, which will almost certainly cause the system's amp to trip out. Or worse.

Connecting them in series will give an impedance of 12ohms, which will probably limit volume levels, but is less likely to damage the system. To do this, on each channel the positive/red connection from the system goes to the red connection on the first speaker, then you need to run a wire from the first speaker's negative/black terminal to the second speaker's positive/red, then a wire back from the second speaker's negative/black terminals to the negative/black terminal on the system's amp output.

You sure about this Andrew?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:aliEnRIK:

You sure about this Andrew?

Are you going to give it a go?

As andrew rightly stated (Assuming it would work) it wouldnt sound too hot so I think ill pass

cjackson

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks folks, I sort of new it wouldn't sound very good at all and have persuaded him to just leave the speakers as they are.

Thank You.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:You sure about this Andrew?

Absolutely. Unless of course you're using the world's most transparent speaker cable, which costs 2p a metre, is used in every professional studio in the world and can make the impedance anything the damn pixies want it to be.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

aliEnRIK:You sure about this Andrew?

Absolutely. Unless of course you're using the world's most transparent speaker cable, which costs 2p a metre, is used in every professional studio in the world and can make the impedance anything the damn pixies want it to be.

Unless of course you work in a magazine where the products that are brighter than the sun get 5 stars and the neutral ones get downgraded. Nothing is ever measured (Including impedance) and certain ones enjoy rubbing people up the wrong way on the forum then hiding behind the 'mod rules' (Waits to see that last bit edited, normally id be mad as hell, but im getting quite used to the EXTREMELY over enthusiastic mods now)

emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts