Speakers & CD Player to partner Bryston B100

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just after some advice, I have recently purchased a second hand (1-year old) Bryston B100 amp.

I like the sound of PMC speakers with Bryston, and I am trying to decide between the TB2i & GB1i speakers and was wondering your thoughts between the two...

Also looking at a CD Player to pair with the B100, and was looking at the Rega Saturn or Bryston BCD-1, again just after some feedback on these 2 and/or any other you might recommend for my set up.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As far as the CD players are concerned, there will be a fair difference between the two - the Saturn is quite a smooth player, and with Bryston amps being quite neutral, you may find it a little too smooth. If you've chosen the Bryston for the reason I think you have, I think you'll more than likely go for the BCD1. The BCD1 will be a livelier, much more detailed sound that will draw you further into the music. The Saturn is no slouch though - I've used it in an system comprising of Bryston pre/power with ATC SCM40's, and worked well. And that goes for other systems that you'd expect it to be outclassed in too.

What size is your room?

I'm not overly keen on the GB1i's, there's just something missing for me. I would prefer the TB2i's. Maybe it's the larger bass driver, but I just fond the low end a little more satisfying on the TB2i's. But, whichever of the PMC's you went for, you'd be assured the B100 will drive them extremely well, as Bryston/PMC have always worked well together.

I would also look at the ProAc Studio 140's or Response D18's, which work well with a number of manufacturer's amplification, including Bryston. Obviously speakers are personal preference, so auditioning with your amplifier will be a must.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback David, much appreciated. I will try a demo of the BCD-1 and see how it goes, as the sound you described is in line with what I am looking for.

My room size is currently reasonably small at 3.5 x 3.5. But the system will be eventually going into a larger room at 4.8 x 5.9. Hence the dilemma between floorstanding and bookshelf within my budget.

In your opionion, how would you describe the differences between the ProAc models you mentioned vs the PMC models mentioned previously?

mitch33 said:
Thanks for the feedback David, much appreciated. I will try a demo of the BCD-1 and see how it goes, as the sound you described is in line with what I am looking for.

My room size is currently reasonably small at 3.5 x 3.5. But the system will be eventually going into a larger room at 4.8 x 5.9. Hence the dilemma between floorstanding and bookshelf within my budget.

In your opionion, how would you describe the differences between the ProAc models you mentioned vs the PMC models mentioned previously?

I heard a Bryston set-up (no idea of the model nos.) at a dealer two years ago, connected to Wilson Benesch standmouted (Square Ones, I think) and it sounded absolutely stonking.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
mitch33 said:

I'll start with the difference between the two Proacs, as they're similar, but also quite different. Both have a warmer, fuller sound, less so the D140 MK II's which for me have a faster, more vivid presentation with plenty of energy. These are a little more like the PMC's. The D18's are a little warmer, with a slightly softer focus with a sweeter treble, and even though they only have one driver compared to the D140's two, they don't lack bass in comparison - if anything, they can produce more depth and authority, and that's from a smaller cabinet! But, they are more fussy with amplifier quality to give their best, but that won't be an issue in this case.

Compared to the PMC's, they're closer to the D140's in their sound. Their smaller bass driver doesn't quite shift as much air, but their transmission line design helps out, producing a fair amount of depth from a small cabinet. PMC's do tend to have a livelier treble than many, producing a slightly more forward sound with plenty of detail, which needs to be carefully amplifier matched for it not to take over. I think this is why they work so well with Bryston as Bryston has no edge in the higher frequencies, even when pushed, if you can push a Bryston that far! These would definitely be a main choice for a smaller room, but move them into a bigger room and they'll start lacking compared to their bigger brother, the FB1i, which again, I prefer as the larger bass driver shifts more air. At this point, the transmission line really kicks in. Placement is very important with the PMC's, so care needs to be taken against solid walls.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the insight based on your experience, much appreciated. I will be making sure all the options discussed are looked into before the final decision is made.

Once last question, based on the larger room size mentioned previously (4.8m x 5.9m), would you have a recommendation/rule of thumb to start working from in regards to the PMC & wall placement? Also suggested distance apart? As they would be backing onto an external wall, but there is plenty of room.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personal preference. The more 'square on' the speakers are, the wider the soundstage - but this can sometimes come at the detriment of the central image. It's a case of trying them square on first, then toeing them in little by little until you're happy with how much central image you want, but not losing to much width. Some people like a strong central image, others not so much.

Same with how far apart they should be, as some speakers are better at being able to be placed quite far apart and still produce a good central image. Again, start at about 8 feet, and widen them a little until you're happy with the overall sound. The further the speakers are apart, the more you may need to toe them in.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Personal preference. The more 'square on' the speakers are, the wider the soundstage - but this can sometimes come at the detriment of the central image. It's a case of trying them square on first, then toeing them in little by little until you're happy with how much central image you want, but not losing to much width. Some people like a strong central image, others not so much. Same with how far apart they should be, as some speakers are better at being able to be placed quite far apart and still produce a good central image. Again, start at about 8 feet, and widen them a little until you're happy with the overall sound. The further the speakers are apart, the more you may need to toe them in.

Thanks for the advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts