Speakers and Cable advice for Cambridge 340 seperates

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am building my first budget system. I have got a good deal on Cambridge Audio Azur 340SE and 340C combo and am now scouting for good speakers. My options are

Monitor Audio BR2
Tannoy Mercury F1
Quad 9L2
Whardale Diamond 9.1

I have read that the 340 combo can sound a bit bright, lean and harsh unless paired with the right speakers and cables. I need some advice on whether MA BR2 would make a good choice. I like to have good detail, crisp treble and tight bass and can spend 250 to 300 quid. I listen to prog rock, jazz-rock, blues, jazz and fusion music. I have limited options for auditioning the speakers prior to purchase where I live.

Also please suggest suitable speaker cables. Would silver cables make the overall sound more leaner and brighter or should I go for copper cables for my system? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have the 540A....apart from power I dont think there is much difference to your 340A. Have BR2s (biwired) on mine and love them. They provide the characteristics that you ask for. Personally I dont find them too bright....they suit me fine. Can not comment on the others you have listed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply raym87.

Over the weekend, I managed to demo the MA BR2 with my Cambridge 340ASE amp. I liked the overall sound but it was a wee bright and 'forward' sounding. Howoever, there is lot of detail (for the money) and good punch to the bottom-end. The cables used were QED Silver Anniversary and the speakers were not bi-wired.

Is there a way I can tone done the brightness without losing detail & depth in the soundstage by using a different cable? Can you tell me which cables are you using? I do not want very expensive cables as it might be an overkill for my system. Something in the range of £4 to £8 per meter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts