speaker woes

gillieboy67

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
hi,all,i own a pair of TDL RTL3 speakers,which i put up for sale,a prospective came to view them and used some kind of meter device and said that they had fallen to 4ohms(the tweeters i think),can someone explain what this exactly means,is it a serious problem and if so is there a fix?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gillieboy67 said:
hi,all,i own a pair of TDL RTL3 speakers,which i put up for sale,a prospective came to view them and used some kind of meter device and said that they had fallen to 4ohms(the tweeters i think),can someone explain what this exactly means,is it a serious problem and if so is there a fix?

Assuming your punter was using a multimeter, which is almost certainly the case, then this will measure the DC resistance only. The AC impedance is made up of the DC resistance + inductance + capacitance, the inductance being the effect of the (voice) coil and capacitance the effect of any capacitors (used to roll off low frequencies) in the circuit.

The AC impedance will then be higher than the DC resistance so the measured 4 ohms, DC resistance remember, would be about right.

Your punter is talking b*ll*cks.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hope u told him to bogg off with his multimeter :)

I would expect both tweeters to measure the same DC resistance but beyond that, the power requirements of the tweeter is so low, such measurements are a nonesense..

gillieboy67

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
thanks everyone,i'm relieved,they sound great so i'm going to stop worrying about it,no idea what the device was,he just had me play music then turn amp off,then raise and lower volume,grumpily announced they were down to 4 ohms and left?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts