Speaker wiring question (or more correctly, have I done something stupid?!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I got this set up off a friend of mine who had it set up with different stuff, anyway, to cut a long story short I'm not really up to scratch on what I'm doing!

The speakers are NAD 8225 (6ohms 60watts) and the amp is a Pioneer SX-1300 (speaker impedence 8-16 ohms) - 250 watts.

Here's a picture of what I've currently done; this seems logical to me, but I've clearly missed something out, as when I turn the tuner on theres no connection to the speakers at all, no clicks or anything.

P5060520.jpg

P5060519.jpg

Thanks for any help, its much appreciated and excuse the mess.

A

Anonymous

You get nothing out of the speakers at all? not even a bit of hiss when you turn the volume up full? (select phono input, they usually hiss more).

John Duncan

Some questions:

- do you have an aerial plugged in?

- does the receiver have a button which selects speaker outputs (Like A/B/A+B or somesuch), since the receiver appears to have multiple speaker outputs

- what is that source plugged in through one of the inputs on the left?

A

Anonymous

Silly question have you selected the right speaker set (A or B)?

Or is it just the tuner you get no sound from or no sound from anythin?

A

Anonymous

I have an aerial plugged in, the tuner on the amp has found stations too.

The receiver does have 2 buttons to select A/B speakers, but I've tried both all combinations and the speakers plugged into both A and B.

The source is a dual record player.

I've tried selecting phono and playing with the volume but still nothing happens.

I'm thinking the speaker wire is the problem perhaps. I don't know if enough power is going in though? Maybe that could be the answer.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I get no sound from any source (phono or tuner) - not just no sound - no hiss, or crackle.

A

Anonymous

It's got a 6.3mm headphone jack and I've only got 3.5mm - when I tried putting the 3.5mm jack in touching the sides I didn't get the normal crackles you would expect to get.

John Duncan

Wouldn't necessarily rule it out because of that - depends on where the switching contacts are and whether you touched them - Mars Bar/Mersey Tunnel and all that. Do you have any other amps or speakers "just lying around" which you can swap in to test whether components work or not?

A

Anonymous

No, I've not got anything I can really use. I'll try and find a 6.3mm jack and rule that out first of all.

They certainly work separately as I've listened to them before I got them, just not in this combination.

To ask a silly question, is there possibly a fault (either in setup or mechanical) or are these two things unable to work together?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
There's a question and answer about your receiver click here (the page takes a long time to load on my Mac so if you can't access it let me know and I'll copy and paste the text.)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that reply, it helped a lot. It looks like the amp is the problem here then.

Muchos thanks to everyone for helping :)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
That click you hear after a few seconds from the amp's self-test will tell you whether everything is wired up correctly. Do you get the click?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Then if you are sure all the buttons on the front are correctly on or off, it must be the driver stage is kaput, unfortunately. My Marantz had this problem but just with the right channel. It was caused (possibly) by the amp being played loudly for prolonged periods, which burnt out the driver stage transistors. Your receiver is probably too long in the tooth to contemplate having it repaired?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]Then if you are sure all the buttons on the front are correctly on or off, it must be the driver stage is kaput, unfortunately......Your receiver is probably too long in the tooth to contemplate having it repaired?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, bit of a shame really, but I've got the rest of the stuff, the receiver must be around 15 years old so it wasn't really going to last much longer anyway.

Thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

Is there a "tape monitor" button/setting on your amp? If so, make sure it's deselected as it will probably override all other input selections.

TRENDING THREADS