speaker upgrade

jizer

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
i wish to upgrade my pmc gb1i for a good standmount up to £2300,they are to be used in a 10ft by 14ft listening room with quad 909 99 and musical fidelity a1008 cd player,does anyone have any good sugestions,i listen to all kinds of music and prefer a fast dynamic sound thanks,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here are some ideas in and around your budget

Dynaudio Contour S 1.4
Monitor Audio PL100
Sonos Faber Cremona Auditor M - out of budget, but my favorite standmount under £3k
Spendor Classic R SP2 3R Mk2
Harbeth Super HL5 Monitor or 7ES-3 Monitor

Cno

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Monitor Audio PL100's should certainly be on your shortlist, and do also try the ProAc Response D2's.

If you can find some used or B stock, give the KEF Reference 201/2's a spin. When I tried the combo I felt the 909 did an excellent job driving them, even with the 4ohm load and low sensitivity - but then that's always been a strong point of the 909.

Not my cup of tea with Quad amplification, but you could also look at the ATC SCM19's, which, along with the 201/2's, will have a placement advantage over the other models due to their sealed cabinet (the 201/2's are ported upwards, and act like a sealed cabinet as far as placing is concerned).

The upcoming B&W PM1 might be worth considering too, as it uses much of the technology they use in their 800 series.

If you do go for any demos, make sure you hear any possible candidates with the same Quad amplification - otherwise, any results from auditions with different amplification aren't going to be of any use to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts