speaker upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i'm looking to change my speakers for some with a bit more bass as i listen to mainly dance and rap music and at the moment i'm running my 2 B&W DM603 S3 floor standers with a SONY TA-FB940R intergrated stereo amp. I have heard good things about the MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BR5'S but i'm not sure how they would compare to my speakers and if there would be a great difference.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
To be honest i would keep the speakers and change the amp, i had the Monitor Audio br2's for a while and they are great little speakers but i also had the B&W DM603 S1 standmount speakers that i prefered over the MA speakers so i dont think your speakers would be lacking in bass but i feel your amp is letting the side down also what source are you using, cd or vinyl. Rotel amps are great with B&W speakers and you could pick up a new amp for the price of the MA speakers . There is also the Audiolab 8000s that can be picked up quite cheaply now or the Creek Evo that has plenty of power. Remember source first, amp then speakers, a lot of memebers will advise speakers make the greatest difference to upgrading but i feel this is false economy as the speakers can only pick up what's feed into them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory:To be honest i would keep the speakers and change the amp...

The SONY TA-FB940R was a WHF 5 star 'best buy' award winner when it came out. Although I have not heard one, I am interested to know why you dismiss it.

gregory:There is also the Audiolab 8000s that can be picked up quite cheaply now or the Creek Evo that has plenty of power.

The SONY TA-FB940R was rated as 70 watts per channel (8ohms) and 120 watts per channel (4 ohms).

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
gregory:To be honest i would keep the speakers and change the amp

I agree 100%. I used to have a pair of DM603 S3s and they are not short of bass! In fact, I would expect them to outperform the BR5s in every respect. If you can stretch to it, buy yourself a Roksan Kandy amp and some decent speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

Hi thank you for your responses
emotion-1.gif
and info I'm using a MARANTZ CD5001 OSE and QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY speaker cable with IXOS banana plugs. I listen to dance rap and rock music mainly
emotion-2.gif
. The roskan and evo creek are out of price range for the time being but thanks for the suggestion.

A

Anonymous

chebby:gregory:To be honest i would keep the speakers and change the amp... The SONY TA-FB940R was a WHF 5 star 'best buy' award winner when it came out. Although I have not heard one, I am interested to know why you dismiss it. gregory:There is also the Audiolab 8000s that can be picked up quite cheaply now or the Creek Evo that has plenty of power. The SONY TA-FB940R was rated as 70 watts per channel (8ohms) and 120 watts per channel (4 ohms).

Chebby where could i find that review as it doesn't seem to be on this site. Cheers

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
jdk251:I'm using a MARANTZ CD5001 OSE and QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY speaker cable with IXOS banana plugs.
I haven't heard the Marantz CDP but I initally had my DM603s connected with Silver Annivarsary (non-XT) cable. I got a massive improvement by changing to Nordost Flatline Gold. I had special reasons for chosing the Nordost (i.e. long under carpet run) so am not saying that it's the one you should go for, just that you can probably do better than the QED. Why not see if you can get a home demo of a couple of different cables? Cheaper than a new amp if it works.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts