Speaker upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon S301 system and would like to upgrade the satelitte speakers to floor standing speakers, is it just a question of plugging them in as the unit mentions a 4 ohm output and there does not seem to be many 4 ohm speakers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO; having just had a quick nosey at the system specs on the interweb, i think your best bet would be to run an external amp and power some floorstanding speakers that way.

Most speakers are 4-8 ohms; speakers at the lower end are usually harder to drive and im not sure your system will have the right power.

I may be wrong and someone will come and correct me but if it were me; i'd be looking to connect it to a good intergrated amp and then adding the floorstanding speakers to that

A

Anonymous

4 Ohms is the minimum impedance the amp is able to handle.

You can buy speakers rating from 4 ohms and above. Try to chose speakers with at least medium sensitivity, as the amp is not very powerful.

A

Anonymous

Apologies for the basic quesion, but how would I do that and would it effect the surround sound side of the system for movies.

A

Anonymous

Would medium sensitivity be 6 ohm something like the Mordaunt-Short MS914

A

Anonymous

stevej1962:Would medium sensitivity be 6 ohm something like the Mordaunt-Short MS914

No, that's the speaker impedance. Sensitivity means how much SPL the speaker gives you given a certain amount of Watts. Usually, it's measured feeding them with 1 W, at 1 meter distance. It can be in anechoic conditions, or in-room (in-room is usually +3dB more than anechoic). Medium sensitvity would be something between 88-91 dB or so.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help, if I can just use something like the Mission m33i or Mordaunt-Short MS914 without having to connect a separate amp then thats the way I will go.

A

Anonymous

Given that I have the S301 system and that the speakers are powered from the sub how do i go about using an external amp to power better speakers without loosing the surround sound from the main unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts