Speaker upgrade suggestions please

stk42

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi

After a few upgrades, and now late 50s I know I am nearing the point of the downhill slide in hearing! So, I am now finalising my final system. The last step in this is speakers which I'll upgrade sometime later this year and this is where I am after advice so I can start looking for demo.

Previously my system was, Naim CDX2+XPS, Nait XS and PMC GB1i speakers. This has now been upgraded over the last 6 months to Naim NDS+XPS and Supernait 2. I have powerlines and Tellurium speaker cables. I still have the GB1is and this is where I am looking for the final upgrade.

I like the sound of the PMCs, so my first though is fact 8's. My wife insists that the speakers are floor mount and should be wood finish. Room is about 4mx5m so the speakers cannot sit too far out (my GB1i sit about 9 inch from the wall). The room can boom a bit below 40Hz but the NDS and Supernait have controlled this remarkably well.

My budget is about £5000-6000 but I don't need to go that high if not sensible (but consider that the NDS+XPS front end is about £10,000!).

This will be my last major upgrade so I can push the boat out a bit, as long as it all stays sensibly balanced,

Cheers

Steve

with that budget you have some serious choice. Naim and Focal could be a good match. with that kind of money on the line, and the fact that this should be the last speakers you ever buy, go and have some demos... many demo's. i would listen to just about everything.

esthetically, B&W may be something your Mrs may like the look of.

If you are seriously worried about possible hearing problems I would suggest you look at some speakers that, at the moment, appear to be slightly 'bright'. It's the higher frequency that goes first. :)

On a more serious note, what can you get to audition? For that sort of outlay I'd be prepared to drive miles.

Consider checking out some of the less often recommended brands such as Focal or even try to audition some of oue American cousin's kit.

I got the Acoustic Zen's and was very happy I did.

Even some of the German make (Audio Physics) go well with Naim amplification.

Sorry if I'm paraphrasing bigfish, he just beat me to it.

stk42

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi thanks everyone

Don't think my hearing is going to fall off immediately, but I expect this setup to last, and in 10+ years I'll be 70! The suggestion of a bit bright though is worth thinking about. Isn't it starange that when you can finally afford it, everything starts to get old :)

I can demo a fair bit of that stuff. Certainly Focal, Neat, Kudos, Spendor, PMC as a start. Must admit I tried a pair of Focal standmounts (1008 Be) but they sounded far too forward and my wife hated the black plastic look they had.

Any specifics would be good, or even anything you feel may not work with the Naim front end

Wife acceptance factor is a very strong impulsion when choosing speakers. :)

Be sure to take her along when you audition. (They come in very handy when it's time to haggle :) )

Audition whatever you can, if it is going to be the ultimate speaker set-up themn let the dealer know it.

They want your money so push for a home audition with your current kit. Any decent dealer will oblige, do not be concerned with asking their advise also.

Try the Naim Ovation speakers as an obvious match.

Al ears said:
Wife acceptance factor is a very strong impulsion when choosing speakers. :)

Be sure to take her along when you audition. (They come in very handy when it's time to haggle :) )

Audition whatever you can, if it is going to be the ultimate speaker set-up themn let the dealer know it.

They want your money so push for a home audition with your current kit. Any decent dealer will oblige, do not be concerned with asking their advise also.

Try the Naim Ovation speakers as an obvious match.

excellent recommendation. stunning looking speakers.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
FWIW I recently demoed some Twenty 23s with Naim amplification and enjoyed them very much. I then asked if I could try the 24s and was amazed at the improvement. This was in a demo room around the same size as yours.

stk42

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone

Plenty of ideas for a long list, never mind short list. I have a number of dealers nearby who are very good with home demos, so will start making the list:) ,

Cheers

Steve

I'm loving my Focals. Give them a demo. The arias look fantastic in the flesh. They were slightly out of my budget so I bought the Chorus 826v instead. Piano black finish looks superb. But the arias look better.

ErikM

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
As others have said there are numerous great speakers in this price range.. The problem that I see is that if you were to buy say the ProAc D40R, a fabulous speaker, one that I think could be the end of the road for many, they WILL NOT sound right pushed up against the rear wall.. in fact MOST of the really good speakers in this price range won't really sing without room around them to breath.. Oh they'll still sound good but you'll never get to hear what they can really do.. Oh and 40hz boom.. yeah put your speakers right up against the wall and boom boom boom.. I think you need to figure out how to get a minimum 24" off the back wall so that whatever you end up with will give you back what you're paying for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts