Speaker / turntable recommendation & advice - B&W CM4? Technics SL1200Mk2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm just getting into 'real' hifi and have just signed up to this forum, so any recommendations are really appreciated.

I thought to build my HIFI from second hand since I'm new to this and I figure it is the best way to get more for less for my first set up. Is this false economy though especially in relation to speakers? I mean does speaker technology move quite quickly such that old speaker lines which finished 10 years ago but cost £1000 are really only worth £300 or less now (like for example PC parts)? How about other components, amps etc?

I have the opertunity to buy B&W CM4 speakers for £165 and have been told that these speakers are/were worth over £1000 new. My listening room is quite small 3.5m X 4.5m, is that too small for such speakers? Would these speakers be any good for electronic and rock, how about Jazz? Then any recoomendations for what kind of amp to drive them?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Utilities/getDoc.aspx?file=Libraries/3/CM4_Manual_l2_w0_h0.pdf&name=CM4%20Manual.pdf

I used to DJ a lot and still own a pair of technics SL1200 MK2 - how will they sound with a good HIFI setup, would they be recommended and what stylus to use with them?

Sorry for a whole bunch of newbie questions!

Cheers,

Ian

A

Anonymous

Re: speakers,

I dont know about the particular speakers you specify, but I can say that my old man has some Wharfedale Laser 100s and the original Wharfedale Diamonds, and they still sound fab today, despite being from the 70's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts