Speaker to plasma???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm using LG plasma TV. Notice that the speakers kind of lousy.

Can just connect a pair of speakers (say, Tannoy Mercury F1) directly to the tv audio out (with rca left and right channel) without using any amplifier?

Thx
emotion-2.gif

Alvin.

nads

you mean the red and white Phono out puts that are meant to provide a line level output to a input on an amp? Sorry nope. I am guessing that there is no speaker outs What is the TV? (model).

A

Anonymous

Nads,

Thx for your reply

My mistake.

It should be a LG LCD display by the model: 42LB7RF

Yes. I am refering to the red/white outputs.

A

Anonymous

Yup. Thanks again nads.

True that active speakers can solve my problem.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="AlvinCWC"]Yup. Thanks again nads.
[/quote]

...Not quite, unless the speakers have remote volume control, which could mean you juggling two handsets. The line outputs you mention are fixed (line) level, meaning that the level through them won't change in response to the TV's volume control.

A modest remote control amp and a pair of speakers might be your best bet.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

...Not quite, unless the speakers have remote volume control, which could mean you juggling two handsets. The line outputs you mention are fixed (line) level, meaning that the level through them won't change in response to the TV's volume control.

[/quote]

Hi Andrew

I am in the same situation as Alvin and have considered a pair of Audioengine A5's but as you say the volume changing would be a problem. I have a Panasonic 37PX70 and watch TV through a Humax PVR 9200T. The TV sound is fine but I want bigger sound for my PS3 (Games & Movies). Any suggestions based on a sensible budget? 5.1 system is out the equation unfortunately as the girlfirend won't allow it but 2.1 or 2.0 would be superb.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sensible budget amplifier, such as the Marantz PM4002, which you can find for about £100, and a pair of speakers - Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs, for example, at about the same money. Connect the analogue audio outs of the PS3 and Humax through the amp, and invest another few quid in a universal remote, such as the One for All Kameleon 4, which can be found for as little as £20 and should 'drive' the TV, PVR and amp - through a combination of pre-programmed commands and learning functions such as amp volume up/down.

Spend an evening programming the remote to drive the whole system - apart from the PS3, I'm afraid - and Bob's yer dad's brother.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Sensible budget amplifier, such as the Marantz PM4002, which you can find for about £100, and a pair of speakers - Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs, for example, at about the same money. Connect the analogue audio outs of the PS3 and Humax through the amp, and invest another few quid in a universal remote, such as the One for All Kameleon 4, which can be found for as little as £20 and should 'drive' the TV, PVR and amp - through a combination of pre-programmed commands and learning functions such as amp volume up/down.

Spend an evening programming the remote to drive the whole system - apart from the PS3, I'm afraid - and Bob's yer dad's brother.

[/quote]

Thanks for your input so far Andrew. Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think the PS3 had analogue outputs, I thought sound could ony be output via Optical or HDMI? I had considered a stereo amp with RCA connections from my TV RCA output direct to the amp, thus everything displayed through my tv would be routed through the amp?

I think the RCA output from a TV is fixed volume, thus my amp would need to regulate the volume in this instance, am I correct?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="carl62"]Thanks for your input so far Andrew. Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think the PS3 had analogue outputs, I thought sound could ony be output via Optical or HDMI? I had considered a stereo amp with RCA connections from my TV RCA output direct to the amp, thus everything displayed through my tv would be routed through the amp?

I think the RCA output from a TV is fixed volume, thus my amp would need to regulate the volume in this instance, am I correct?

[/quote]

The Prof beat me to it on the first point, but yes the output from your TV will be at fixed level

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="carl62"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Andrew

I am in the same situation as Alvin and have considered a pair of Audioengine A5's but as you say the volume changing would be a problem. I have a Panasonic 37PX70 and watch TV through a Humax PVR 9200T. The TV sound is fine but I want bigger sound for my PS3 (Games & Movies). Any suggestions based on a sensible budget? 5.1 system is out the equation unfortunately as the girlfirend won't allow it but 2.1 or 2.0 would be superb.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
[/quote]

If you have a headphone socket on your TV you can connect to active speakers and control the volume using the TV remote.

I use this approach on the TV in my kitchen. PS3 connected to the TV using HDMI. TV connected to Aego M 2.1 (formally a 5* product) using the headphone socket.

This is more than adequate for gaming and OK for casual TV watching. It's cool cos the satellites are sooooo small and the subwoofer can be hidden away. For more serious listening, however (i.e. if you wanted to listen to music streamed to your PS3 or if the TV was your main/only TV), I'd probably go with Andrew's suggestion of a more bulky separate amp and speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts