Speaker suggestions

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Folks

My current setup is as below, but I am about to be given a Marantz PM7005 amp by a relative who no longer uses it. I have heard their set up using some old Mission Floor Standers which sound good (much better than what I have) but their room is also much different to mine.

I have long toyed with getting new speakers but feel now may be the time with the pending amp replacement. I am after some suggestions to seek out and demo. They will need to be close to the wall (6-10 inches from rear and side) and my listening room is 18 ft long by about 11 wide (it's a strange sort of L shape so is actually wider at its biggest). Ceilings are fairly high at over 9ft.

Budget is about £800. I prefer new speakers so I have to warranty e.t.c. If anyone has recommendations about which speakers suit the Marantz Amp and the close wall positioning that would be great. Then if I can. I will try and audition them.

Regards.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
dellroy said:
Hi Folks

My current setup is as below, but I am about to be given a Marantz PM7005 amp by a relative who no longer uses it. I have heard their set up using some old Mission Floor Standers which sound good (much better than what I have) but their room is also much different to mine. 

I have long toyed with getting new speakers but feel now may be the time with the pending amp replacement. I am after some suggestions to seek out and demo. They will need to be close to the wall (6-10 inches from rear and side) and my listening room is 18 ft long by about 11 wide (it's a strange sort of L shape so is actually wider at its biggest). Ceilings are fairly high at over 9ft. 

Budget is about £800. I prefer new speakers so I have to warranty e.t.c. If anyone has recommendations about which speakers suit the Marantz Amp and the close wall positioning that would be great. Then if I can. I will try and audition them. 

Regards. 
EB acoustics eb2s.30 day money back guarantee but they are standmounts but are capable of filling medium rooms

D

Deleted member 108165

PMC DB1 in any iteration you can find, (I've got the Gold version).

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
dellroy said:
Hi Folks

Regards.
EB acoustics eb2s.30 day money back guarantee but they are standmounts but are capable of filling medium rooms

Thanks. I have previously read up on the eb's and followed the press since the company was taken over by true new owners. Do you thInk the Marantz will be capable of powering them ok?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. Focal Aria 906 should work well relatively close to wall, and are pretty sensitive so they can go loud. Worth an audition, imo.

Thanks. I had previously considered these with my old amp but never got round to listening to them as always thought the amp was too weak. I might now give them a try.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
dellroy said:
seemorebtts said:
dellroy said:
Hi Folks

Regards. 

Thanks. I have previously read up on the eb's and followed the press since the company was taken over by true new owners. Do you thInk the Marantz will be capable of powering them ok?
should be ok.iv have 80w which was fine so 60w should be enough.you get a trial so find out.have fun trying as many Speaker's as possible

D

Deleted member 108165

dellroy said:
DougK said:
PMC DB1 in any iteration you can find, (I've got the Gold version).

Thanks Doug. I take it you also like the pairing with the Marantz? They may be out of my price range.

Hadn't realised that they had increased in price, (I got mine for £800). Don't cross them off your shortlist and try to audition if you can. Seems that these pair well with any amp, but to my ears they do sound incredible considering their diminutive size. Many say MA speakers suit Marantz but the DB1's beat a pair of RX2's in my lounge. Take your time and audition as many speakers as you can paired with your amp.

rainsoothe

dellroy said:
rainsoothe said:
Hi. Focal Aria 906 should work well relatively close to wall, and are pretty sensitive so they can go loud. Worth an audition, imo.

Thanks. I had previously considered these with my old amp but never got round to listening to them as always thought the amp was too weak. I might now give them a try.

They are pretty easy to drive speakers, and are the type of speakers that can match any amp. The PMCs are also a good suggestion, but you should try to listen to all your options in your own room. I had a pair of DB1 golds on home dem, and, while in the dealer's room they sounded fabulous and incredibly big for their size, they were too aggressive in my (bad) room.

dellroy said:
seemorebtts said:
dellroy said:
Hi Folks

Regards.

Yes, I am driving mine with a 25 wpc hybrid valve amp set up.

TRENDING THREADS