Speaker recommendations for Musical Fidelity M6PRX

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
All, I need your advice. I am about to start setting up a HT/hi-fi system in my second home and I was offered MF M6PRX power amp for a very good price. Since it is almost new and under warranty I am going to proceed with buying it since I don't believe I'll get anything better for that amount of money. The question is - what would be some good speaker options for this amp? I don't mind going either standmounts or floorstanders, just need a pair of good speakers for a medium size room. I'd like my system to be just a bit on a smooth side with good amount of bass. Some options I was thinking of are Proac D18 or Dynaudio Focus 260. I certainly is happy to go lower on price if it yields some good sound quality.

For those who use MF amps or have first hand experience with them, please let me know your opinion. Your suggestions may give me direction for actual demo. Many thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As well as your list, I think it will work well with Focal and Kef R Series.

I haven't heard them, but I think the SF Venere range would be well worth a listen: http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/March2013_SF_Venere2_5_HFC_4web.pdf

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Other than the Dynaudio and ProAc models you mention, have a look at the Neat Elite SX, Monitor Audio GX200, B&W CM9, PMC Twenty.23 (or even 24) and the KEF R700 or R900. Do try and audition any possible contenders with the M6 power amp.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your recommedations, the selection right now looks pretty exciting.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Other than the Dynaudio and ProAc models you mention, have a look at the Neat Elite SX, Monitor Audio GX200, B&W CM9, PMC Twenty.23 (or even 24) and the KEF R700 or R900. Do try and audition any possible contenders with the M6 power amp.

David - you recommend MA and B&W. Some people say they are a bit bright, which I want to avoid. I have never listened to either of these speakers, so in case you have an opinion on this matter I would highly appreciate it.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
dragon76 said:
All, I need your advice. I am about to start setting up a HT/hi-fi system in my second home and I was offered MF M6PRX power amp for a very good price. Since it is almost new and under warranty I am going to proceed with buying it since I don't believe I'll get anything better for that amount of money. The question is - what would be some good speaker options for this amp? I don't mind going either standmounts or floorstanders, just need a pair of good speakers for a medium size room. I'd like my system to be just a bit on a smooth side with good amount of bass. Some options I was thinking of are Proac D18 or Dynaudio Focus 260. I certainly is happy to go lower on price if it yields some good sound quality. For those who use MF amps or have first hand experience with them, please let me know your opinion. Your suggestions may give me direction for actual demo. Many thanks in advance.
Hi dragon 76 kef r500 or r700 both will be a good fit I nearly bought kefr700 but they were a bit big see my avatar I would highly recomend Atc scm 40s you can put them closer to the rear walls as they are not ported I run mine with my m6i and they sound great

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
dragon76 said:
David - you recommend MA and B&W. Some people say they are a bit bright, which I want to avoid. I have never listened to either of these speakers, so in case you have an opinion on this matter I would highly appreciate it.

I've heard people describe what I consider to be smooth speakers as bright, so you can't account for personal preference. B&W are very popular - some people describe them as bright, but owners obviously don't feel the same way.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
toyota man said:
dragon76 said:
All, I need your advice. I am about to start setting up a HT/hi-fi system in my second home and I was offered MF M6PRX power amp for a very good price. Since it is almost new and under warranty I am going to proceed with buying it since I don't believe I'll get anything better for that amount of money. The question is - what would be some good speaker options for this amp? I don't mind going either standmounts or floorstanders, just need a pair of good speakers for a medium size room. I'd like my system to be just a bit on a smooth side with good amount of bass. Some options I was thinking of are Proac D18 or Dynaudio Focus 260. I certainly is happy to go lower on price if it yields some good sound quality. For those who use MF amps or have first hand experience with them, please let me know your opinion. Your suggestions may give me direction for actual demo. Many thanks in advance.
Hi dragon 76 kef r500 or r700 both will be a good fit I nearly bought kefr700 but they were a bit big see my avatar I would highly recomend Atc scm 40s you can put them closer to the rear walls as they are not ported I run mine with my m6i and they sound great

toyota man, that's exciting you find MF working fine with ATC speakers, I do not see many people who are using this particular combination. One of the reasons I do not consider ATC is that I already have them in my primary location, so for the second home I wanted to try smth different. However I am very interested in your opinion as to how MF6 works with ATC SCM 40. How's bass, soundstage, etc? I more than sure that everything is excellent, but if you have any specific observation, it would be great to hear them. Thanks

Hi dragon76

Musical Fidelity electronics do pair well with ATC monitors
smiley-smile.gif
I also feel that you should consider SCM40 monitors as SCM40 monitors still have far greater performance potential. On paper at least the M6PRX looks as though it has the capability of getting an even higher level of performance from SCM40 monitors.

Btw, what pre amplification will you use please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Rick, thank you for your comment. As I noted previously, I already use ATC SCM 40 in my main system, so the desire was to use smth else in my yet to be built another system. In fact when I acquire MF I will be able to insert it into my current setup with ATCs and check out how these two go together.

Regarding the amplification, I am quite open. One of the ideas I have is to buy the newly released Oppo-105, which has balanced analogue outputs, Sabre Dac chip, built-in pream/volume control, and I can use it directly to the MF amp for both movies and music. With the onboard dac of the Oppo-105 I can also connect some of my digital sources as well, including Onkyo ipod dock. But these are just the ideas, and I am not sure if the Oppo's preamp section is good one for MF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts