Speaker questions!! Please help!!!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have Mordaunt Short Premiere speakers

I'm going to keep the current satellites for my back surrounds and upgrade the front channels.

Q1. Is upgrading the Centre Speaker a bigger priority than the front left/right?

Q2. When upgrading the front left/right , is a good floorstander going to be better than a REALLY good bookshelf speaker? I know they'll probably LOOK better, but can you get as good a sound out of the bookshelf?

Any suggestions wouldd be gratefully received!! It is predominantly for Home cinema.

Possible bookshelf speakers - Mezzo2, Monitor Audio RS1, B&W 685

Possible Floorstanders - Monitor Audio RS6, Tannoy Revolution Signatures ... or the best deal on ANYTHING I can get from Richer Sounds!

A

Anonymous

the bookshelves and floorstanders you are talking about are not that comparable as they are in 2 different price brackets. If you can afford it go for the floorstanders then. Just make sure that you get the matching centre speaker as your fronts for the best possible integration of sound. Centre speaker is important for Home Cinema Setups indeed

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I agree, center speaker is important. Sadly, most center speakers are not sound as good as stereo speakers. So I think it is wise to use stereo speaker (take one unit only) for center channel, if possible.. Sorry, this is out of topic..

Talking about floorstand speaker, they usually don't occupy the whole silinder from top to bottom. Actual speaker box is smaller than outside where the other space (bottom) is seperated and used for sand filling. Considering the speaker box being occupied inside both floorstand and bookshelf are same, I think it should be no difference between them. Floorstand speakers are pricier, but don't forget that we will need extra cost to buy speaker stands for bookshelf.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
You don't need floorstanders if you have a sub to cope with the lows. If you're on a budget, a decent pair of standmounts should outperform a similarly priced floorstander. I agree with the above, you will get a better tonal match if you have all 3 fronts of the same speaker i.e. 3 standmounts. You could always use the extra as a 6.1 rear or flog it. Some companies will allow to purchase speakers individually e.g. XTZ speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts