Speaker placement and selection in large / odd shaped room

adamopolis

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for advice on where to place speakers in the “lounge” of the floorplan:

Layout.jpg

and suggestions for what those speakers should be on a budget of say 150-200£. I have some old Wharfedale Diamond 7.1s which were great but probably need replacing (cones are dented). Speakers need to be “child friendly” i.e. probably wall mounted or robust enough floor speakers that an 18 month old cant destroy / knock over. I’ll probably look at second hand kit in light of the baby destruction factor and to save money. I have a Sonos P5 in the kitchen and a P3 in the TV room so the rig in the lounge will likely be driven by a Sonos Connect:Amp. I listen to soul, ska, reggae etc… (lots of bass) and there is no listening chair / position – ideally I would like to fill the room with decent sound. Openings to the “hall” and “TV room” cannot be shut off, so it is quite open plan. Floors are hardwood and walls are quite bare (lots of reflections). The lounge room is about 12 ft x 24ft (4m x 8m) and about 8 ft high.

My current thinking is maybe to get some new Diamonds mounted on the wall, possibly with a sub to handle the bass? (Option A in the layout sketch).

Another option is to put the speakers (and amp and cabling) on top of a big stone / ceramic fireplace(Option B in the layout sketch) – this is a very kid friendly option but the speakers would be about 2M off the floor close to the roof. Would this be madness? If not, how should I direct the speakers to fill the room with sound in a reasonable way?

A variation of this (Option C) would be to have amp and one speaker on top of the fireplace, and another speaker on the wall of the opposite side of the room… would this be any better? It is quite a long room so not sure how I would direct the speakers in this case.

Or is there a better way of doing this? I am far from being an audiophile but would like a decent solution at a decent price (as have already spent quite a bit on Sonos kit)

And what about the sub, does it matter where that goes? Could I survive without it? Does it have to be on the floor, or could I stick that on top of the fireplace as well? Any recommendations on a decent sub for around 1-150£?

My apologies if this is long winded and rambling but all advice will be gratefully received!!!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would go for scenario A, which will give you the best stereo image; you will have to pick the right speakers though, as not to have boomy midbass, caused by the corner position of the speakers. Definitely avoid rear ported boxes.

For the price of a Connect:Amp + 2 speakers, you could also choose to use 2 Play3s in stereo mode; they have a 'close to wall' setting, to limit bass boom.

Drawbacks:

1. this way you will limit your subwoofer choice to the Sonos Sub, which isn't exactly cheap.

2. you need two mains sockets for the Play3s.

adamopolis

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response!

I am now concerned that a Sonos Connect:Amp may not have the power (55w per channel) to fill the room with good LOUD music.... would the speaker positioning affect this significantly? and I guess that bigger speakers will give a bigger sound....

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You could maybe put the P5 in the loung. P3 in the kitchen.

Then look at a more dedicated stereo set up in the TV roroom.

As you already have the P3 & P5 you could experiment with the lounge & kitchen before deciding.

Also I think I'd go for the Sonos Connect, rather than the CONNECT AMP.

you could feed the Connect straight into Active speakers.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
You could maybe put the P5 in the loung. P3 in the kitchen.

Then look at a more dedicated stereo set up in the TV roroom.

As you already have the P3 & P5 you could experiment with the lounge & kitchen before deciding.

for the Sonos Connect, rather than the CONNECT AMP.

you could feed the Connect straight into Active speakers.

Good suggestion! Maybe these Tannoys? Active, front ported, the 601 has volume control; prices £230 and £300 for the 501 and 601 respectively.

adamopolis

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Richard,

I am curious why you recommend "Connect+active speakers" over "Connect:Amp+regular speakers".... Is this for reasons of sound quality? or simplicity? I would have thought the amp in the Connect:Amp (which I understand is pretty good for the price point) would be better than the amp found in powered speakers? I am pretty new to all this though so may well be wrong :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Whilst now making specific speaker recommendations. There is a difference between POWERED & truly active speakers.

Basically with Actives each driver has its own amp (bit simplistic, I know).

Maybe do a bit of research and see in terms of inputs , functionality etc if they sound like something that might be for you.

Also, can you be more specific on total budget, as this will influence what suggestions you might get.

As you can see from my sig, I'm a Sonos fan. My connects go straight into Active speakers.

How do you feel about my other suggestions?

adamopolis

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the P5 in the lounge and the P3 in the kitchen! Whilst they sound OK, the P5 doesnt really fill the space with sound, which is why I was thinking of getting some decent-ish bookshelf speakers and a sub for the lounge.... this will enable me to move the P5 into the kitchen (where I listen to a fair amount of music while cooking, entertaining etc....) I would then move the P3 upstairs to a study / bedroom.

I must confess that I hadn't really considered the Connect + powered speakers option - it would likely be cheaper as well? Total budget is probably around 400£ for the speakers / sub for the lounge but can be stretched if needed.

The lounge is an odd shaped room though, and quite big as it is open to the "Hall" and "TV Room" - hence my questions about positioning of speakers. The current P5 sounds very much like the music is coming from a single point (which it is!!) so any advice on where to put things would also be much appreciated.

Due to the baby factor mentioned above I am currently planning on putting the sub on top of a big stone / ceramic fireplace... This may be madness - only one way to find out :)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Never even knew tannoy did those. Interesting.

The volume can be controlled with the Connect btw.

True, but as this volume control is digital, sound quality can diminish at lower levels (not an expert at all, but a digital volume control 'uses' bits - adding 0s in front of the 'word', thus making the 'words' smaller, and losing info - or something, err, ...) Anyway, if the speakers have an adjustable gain, this problem can be largely overcome.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Might be a bit of an odd one this, and can't say I've done it myself.

What about using 2 x. play 3 in the lounge. Space them apart to give good coverage. You may find them better as 2 separate zones (rather than a stero pair).

Because the Sonos will play the same thing at the same time you can have the whole space covered.

Still go for the existing units as you planned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts