Speaker mis-match

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Stoff 1:

Cheers for warning chainrock, and cheeby you have given me something to do on a rainy day (plenty of them at the mow) will of course post the results! Thinging as im currently using Tesco own brand there might be room for improvement!

Stoff, does the "modded RS8s" in your signature refer to the toilet paper or is there more to it?
emotion-11.gif

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Your RS8s are modded? In that case, go to this website: http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp

As a cheap fix, I would try and attenuate the tweeter by 1dB or so- the site has a calculator (scroll down to find it!) for resistor values.

I believe the C-CAM units are 4ohms, so to knock 1dB off the top end would need... 0.4ohm in series with positive input, and 32.8ohms across the tweeter terminals. Use 7 or 10Watt metal oxide or wirewound resistors- you may need to use multiples to get a precise value.

If you love the speakers, for a couple of quid, as a suck-it-and-see option, this could be worth a go... Particularly good source for bits is Rapid Electronics (forget Maplin), the components themselves cost pence, so fiddle with the calculator program, and order for -1dB, -1.5dB and 2dB at once, the main cost is P&P, which of course you would only pay once... (I don't work for them, by the way!).

I've done similar with a pair of cheese-grater Mission 753s- from harsh as lemon juice in a paper-cut to smooth and refined by knocking off 1.5dB, at a total cost of £5.83 and twenty minutes with a soldering iron! Just an idea...!

Jon

A

Anonymous

Yes the modded bit does refere to the toilet paper, nothing more!!!! Afraid with me and speaker mods thats about as far as I can go, unfortunally wouldnt try anything more . Thanks for the information Dougal maybe I could try asking a shop to do the work any ideas of where?? Seems worth a shot.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Are you going to test different brands of toilet tissue?

Does Izal Medicated give an edgier sound?

How long until we see Russ Andrex Andrews marketing individual sheets for £39.95 each?

How long until the great cable debates of 2009 are forgotten amidst Velvet© vs Tescos value label discussions?

Will Arcam users prefer Shea Butter? (Although taping an Andrex Labrador puppy across each tweeter would probably get nearer the 'Arcam sound'
emotion-2.gif
)

LOL to all of that, and Chebby my door is open should you ever want to review your opinion of Arcam. A Solo Mini it ain't.

North London by the way.

ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts