Speaker mis-match

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently bought my cyrus set up and put it with MA RS8s, very clear and detailed. Sounded great in the shop, a real step up from my previous gear. But now i've lived with it for a few months im not so sure. Low to moderate listening levels are fine but when I turn it up a little more I find the sound becomes quite harsh more so with certain tracks. Its now come to the point where something has to go, either the cyrus or MA. I love both makes but they dont seem to love each other!!! (to my ears anyway.) They had been run in now for over 100 hrs so not expecting any major changes.

So Im wondering what to change and what for, heard dynoaudio X32 and spendor A6 and although much smoother they did not have the same punch or attack the RS8s which I looking for as I listen to alot of dance music. Nead help in finding a suitable speaker or should I just ditch the cyrus for maybe rotel (love the look)??? Either way its going to hurt but it needs to be done.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
brightObright... you've pitted a forward-sounding speaker to Cyrus (bright IMO), which doesn't do good for anyone. Having said the following combos might click:

MA RS8 + CA 840A V1/V2 (IMO)
MA RS8 + Roksan (IMO)
MA RS8 + NAD 372/375

Trevor, i think, here has RS8+Cyrus, modded, it worked for him. RS8 and Cyrus owners will be coming soon with suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Keep the amp, change the speakers IMO. RS8s are great but suffer with forward electronics. I had RS6s and sold them for exact same reason. Much happier with my Spens.

I don't think Roksan or CA match MA well either. Did you demo A6s with your amp? I think that would be a good match, but I think for dance music you may want to get standmounts with fast response (and soft-dome tweeter). I am sure someone can suggest good standmounts (Dyns maybe?).

A

Anonymous

Yes I demo the speakers with my amp and cdp and they did sound good,(very smooth) but they just didnt have the punch of my RS8s which I like. See your point about faster standmounts, but dont think they could produce the bass i need. Seems like its hard to find smooth speaker that produces the levels of bass my RS8s do. BTW also heard B&W CM9s and 683s which were a little better but still a bit forward.

Stoff 1:

Recently bought my cyrus set up and put it with MA RS8s, very clear and detailed. Sounded great in the shop, a real step up from my previous gear. But now i've lived with it for a few months im not so sure. Low to moderate listening levels are fine but when I turn it up a little more I find the sound becomes quite harsh more so with certain tracks. Its now come to the point where something has to go, either the cyrus or MA. I love both makes but they dont seem to love each other!!! (to my ears anyway.) They had been run in now for over 100 hrs so not expecting any major changes.

So Im wondering what to change and what for, heard dynoaudio X32 and spendor A6 and although much smoother they did not have the same punch or attack the RS8s which I looking for as I listen to alot of dance music. Nead help in finding a suitable speaker or should I just ditch the cyrus for maybe rotel (love the look)??? Either way its going to hurt but it needs to be done.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks

Do you have carpet or hard floors? I ask this because it makes a huge amount of difference. Also a complete Cyrus system might (especially with hard flooring) be slightly grating - the same reason the others have given. Mixing bright with bright usually ends in tears.

If you are happy with your speakers, look at changing the CD player. I've tested the 8VS2 + Arcam CD73 + RS6 and it sounded impressive. Additionally, if Arcam doesn't do it for you, try Exposure, Nad or any brand which tames the Cyrus's and MA's zeal. Unfortunately, regardless of option you choose it's going to set you back lots of dough

A

Anonymous

Stoff 1:

Yes I demo the speakers with my amp and cdp and they did sound good,(very smooth) but they just didnt have the punch of my RS8s which I like. See your point about faster standmounts, but dont think they could produce the bass i need. Seems like its hard to find smooth speaker that produces the levels of bass my RS8s do. BTW also heard B&W CM9s and 683s which were a little better but still a bit forward.

B&W also uses metal-dome tweeters - stay away from those with Cyrus gear :) Maybe you can try standmounts + a sub? BK makes very musical subs.

I wouldn't give up Cyrus CDP+Pre+Power just to be able to keep the RS8s...

A

Anonymous

Currently the system is in a carpeted bedroom, but is soon to be moved into a woodern floored living room. Seems to me that may just accentuate the problem, Am I right in thinking that? Havent thought about standmounts + sub, because I prefere the look of floorstanders. Fully understand about the metal-dome tweeters and the need for me to personally go for the soft-dome type. Agree with the tread saying to keep the cyrus and change the speakers, but it is looking increasing hard to get a smooth speaker to tame the cyrus but one that can punch like the RS8s. What about Dali speakers, wonder how they would match.

PS just tryed changing the cd played to my old CA 640 and that did smooth things, but ideally I would like to keep my component the same make.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like a good excuse to spend a few hours in the listening rooms of some local dealers. I'm sure they'll be helpful if you explain your needs.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'll second whoever suggested trying an arcam cdp, if you want to try and keep your amp and speakers together. only heard a couple but both notably smooth in the treble with slightly warm tonality. quite suprised though that you don't get much punch with dynaudio speakers, their standmounts usually pack a huge wallop.

A

Anonymous

Correct me if I am wrong, but the OP hasn't demo'ed Dyns yet. They were the first speakers that came to mind.

There are a lot more choices in speakers than electronics - so book yourself some demo time and enjoy!

Craig M.:i'll second whoever suggested trying an arcam cdp, if you want to try and keep your amp and speakers together. only heard a couple but both notably smooth in the treble with slightly warm tonality. quite suprised though that you don't get much punch with dynaudio speakers, their standmounts usually pack a huge wallop.

It was ME!

On wooden floors it helps the acoustics using some throw rugs, bookcases, soft furnishings etc. The obvious solution would be to change speakers - not sure on th OP's budget. he could try the Dynaudio Excite or Spendor A5 (very discreet floorstanders).

A

Anonymous

Whoa! You have partnered two of the thinnest, forward sounding items in hifi!

Forget about keeping the same brands, If it isnt too late start again, if it is, Id say kiss goodbye to the MA's, I demoed some recently, and that top end is just so unpleasant to live with for more than a few minutes. What other brands does the shop you got the stuff from keep?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
ooh..the OP has a soft spot for RS8 and the bass attack, so keeping that in mind, i might not shoo away the speakers, instead, i would ask OP to consider partnering it with NAD electronics, in that way, the treble can be rounded off by the warm NAD ? - pls hear this combo before changing the speakers.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
vinod_david:ooh..the OP has a soft spot for RS8 and the bass attack, so keeping that in mind, i might not shoo away the speakers, instead, i would ask OP to consider partnering it with NAD electronics, in that way, the treble can be rounded off by the warm NAD ? - pls hear this combo before changing the speakers.

Right on. This OP LIKES the MA RS8. All the other speakers suggested will be a step down from the RS8s. Not one mentioned will replace the massive sound the RS8s produce. The OP is a DANCE MUSIC PERSON! Clearly, this a no-brainer people. Cyrus makes zero sense. You don't need super articulate clean detail highs for dance music for pete's sake! Dump the Cyrus.

Go get a NAD C355bee. That's all you neeed. You will be happy forever and it's cheap.

A

Anonymous

A big thank you to everyone for their input, going to take all advise to the shops and have some demos.

A

Anonymous

Don't worry you're not the first to put Cyrus & MA speakers together and find the long term listening quite grating.If you head over to cyrusunofficial.co.uk you'll find a large number have either Dynaudio and Spendor.

ÿThe Cyrus kit offers you a great upgrade path so I would suggest, painful as it might be to change the speakers.

ÿI take it you bought the kit together? ÿI would in all seriousness go back to the dealer,explain you can't live with the combo and cajole him/ her into offering you very favourable terms on a change of speakers - but get a home demo first to be absolutely sure.

ÿAny decent dealer who you've spent that kind of money with will help you out.

A

Anonymous

An update, have put a piece of toilet roll over the tweeter and that has really smoothed things out. Very happy with the result. It looks like the cyrus MA parnership is now working, great because I like both brands. Seached through old posts and found one suggesting this, very useful. I will take the tweeter grill off and cut the toilet roll behind and replace the grill to tidy things up.Wish things are always this simple!!

Stoff 1:An update, have put a piece of toilet roll over the tweeter and that has really smoothed things out. Very happy with the result. It looks like the cyrus MA parnership is now working, great because I like both brands. Seached through old posts and found one suggesting this, very useful. I will take the tweeter grill off and cut the toilet roll behind and replace the grill to tidy things up.Wish things are always this simple!!

Also helps if things become messy. . . .Lol!

No I've never heard of that trick either.

A

Anonymous

It sure does, also the paper can be fine tuned by adding more sheets and by very carefully poking holes in through the tweeter grill with a pin. Nice to have such control.

A

Anonymous

Ha ha - have used toilet paper over flash to soften the light but never over tweeters :)

Be careful taking off the tweeter grills. The holders are magnetized so as I was pulling off the grill on my rs6s the magnet immediately pulled the edges of the grill sideways and put a small scratch on the tweeter which is very fragile (more so that softdome designs).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Are you going to test different brands of toilet tissue?

Does Izal Medicated give an edgier sound?

How long until we see Russ Andrex Andrews marketing individual sheets for £39.95 each?

How long until the great cable debates of 2009 are forgotten amidst Velvet© vs Tescos value label discussions?

Will Arcam users prefer Shea Butter? (Although taping an Andrex Labrador puppy across each tweeter would probably get nearer the 'Arcam sound'
emotion-2.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Cheers for warning chainrock, and cheeby you have given me something to do on a rainy day (plenty of them at the mow) will of course post the results! Thinging as im currently using Tesco own brand there might be room for improvement!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts