Speaker match for Cambridge Audio

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am giving serious consideration to a main speaker upgrade and finally going to retire my vintage AR-17's that have served me so well... I have been out of the loop regarding such a purchase for so long that I am a bit confused..

First of all, I am on a budget (aren't we all?) but wonder what sort of price range I should be realistically considering when pairing with a CA 640R AV amp ? I am mainly concerned about audio quality (in stereo) although they will be used as the fronts of a 5 speaker cinema surround sound setup (no sub at present) with Mission di-polar rears.

I have my itunes from pc connected digitally to my amp for music source along with a Denon DVD-1920. Iomega multimedia player, Wii and Sky HD box all connected into my amp

The amp is fairly muscular and would have no trouble driving anything as far as I know...but my priority is musicality, nice clear, ariculate but smooth, warm and lush sounds, preferably from a 'British' manufacturer (I love the look of the Quad stuff) and that's another point, I don't want ungainly ugly boxes anymore, and if I have to justify the outlay to the wife, they better look half decent !!

Also, I am in Ireland, so access to a broad spectrum of speakers for audition purposes isn't easy (even tho I'm close to Dublin...don't get me started !!)

So, what do you other CA owners recommend to match sonically, what sort of price range should I be considering for my amp, and finally actual model suggestions please...?!

It's a big decision to even consider parting with my old boxes but feel they could be easily outdone these days and as the grills are long gone, are too accessible for my baby daughter to put a finger through the delicate paper cones...

Sorry for the long winded request, but can't believe I've finally bit the bullet to even ask this to be honest !!! And thanks alot for any help or suggestions you may have...

A

Anonymous

I did audition a CA Azur AV (cant remember the exact model) with MA Bronze set up (both BR2 and 5 fronts). They performed very well (although just pipped by an Onkyo which I bought with the MA's). Aethetics for the speakers is very subjective and the MA's are right up my street in that department. For a budget range, it appears to tick alot of the boxes you mention and I would recommend you give them an audition.

Have fun.

Nick

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
nicholasc1585:

I did audition a CA Azur AV (cant remember the exact model) with MA Bronze set up (both BR2 and 5 fronts). They performed very well (although just pipped by an Onkyo which I bought with the MA's). Aethetics for the speakers is very subjective and the MA's are right up my street in that department. For a budget range, it appears to tick alot of the boxes you mention and I would recommend you give them an audition.

Have fun.

Nick

Thanks for that Nick, and that range is readily available (even online) and affordable so will look into them, and appearance wise fairly conventional with a number of different finishes too...cool

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts