Speaker Match for Arcam A28 Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have heard PMC DB1i speakers on Arcam Neo sounded very good!!! Looking for a few suggestions of Make and Models.

I've also been told by Plastic Penguin that A28 would power PMC GB1i's but are not the best match. I was looking at GB1i's as they were for sale on Ebay 675 pounds.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!!! Speakers that definatly cost no more that PMC DB1i.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
What's your budget?

What type of music is in your collection? CD, vinyl or wifi?

What type of sound do you prefer?

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Budget is 1000 pound tops, 1000 is a little on the heavy side unless there is an outstanding speaker available for that price!

Wifi and CD

Cypress Hill, Muse, American Head Charge, System of the Down, Rock music, little metal nothing to serious. Listen to Planet Rock, Unknown FM on the radio. Do not listen to Jazz, Classical, Rap apart from Cypress but there not reguarded as rap in the main. Oh also no Pop chart stuff.

Does this help???

BertieA1:

I have heard PMC DB1i speakers on Arcam Neo sounded very good!!! Looking for a few suggestions of Make and Models.

I've also been told by Plastic Penguin that A28 would power PMC GB1i's but are not the best match. I was looking at GB1i's as they were for sale on Ebay 675 pounds.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!!! Speakers that definatly cost no more that PMC DB1i.

You've misconstrude my sentiments - what I said was the GB1s would be a great match with the A28, however, I don't believe, like my old A65, the Arcam will be good enough to make the most of the GB1s.

A

Anonymous

I fully understand what you are saying, but what speakers would you pair the A28 with??? Plastic Penguin?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Totem Rainmaker? CLICKETY

Universally excellent reviews.

IME Totem and Arcam partner rather well.

OK, so the Rainmaker's RRP is c. £1095. But I'm pretty sure that if you waived a £1000 in cash under a dealer's nose you'd have a deal.
emotion-5.gif

The B&W 684 worked well with an Arcam CD72 and A70 when I demo'd 'em, so should also suit the A28.

A

Anonymous

Really hope I'm not showing my ignorance here but never heard of them!!! Looked them up, they read well but not sure where I could demo these little beauty's, well not local anyway.

I know the 684's many thanks....

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio GS10. Good match with Arcam because they're a little more forward sounding than some speakers. Vickers Hifi has some ex-demo black ones for £495 down from £899. Question is, can you get to York to try them? Maybe there's similar offers elsewhere.

EDIT Ah, they're sold out. Sorry, missed that.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
BertieA1:
Really hope I'm not showing my ignorance here but never heard of them!!! Looked them up, they read well but not sure where I could demo these little beauty's, well not local anyway...

Hey, until Igglebert marked my card a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have known a Totem speaker if it stood up in my soup.

Audio T sell 'em, and it seems to have branches everywhere these days - "We are the Borg..." Where are you based?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Try ProAc Reference 8 Signatures given your taste in music. Foot-tappingly brilliant and work very well with Arcam. £500 would see a mint pair second hand, maybe less.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:Shoot! Beat me to it, sort of...Audio T have some ex-demo ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures @ £769.95 (RRP £969.95).

If you go for those try at £650/£700.

BertieA1:

I fully understand what you are saying, but what speakers would you pair the A28 with??? Plastic Penguin?

I know I'm totally boring but Monitor Audio is THE match for Arcam. Like Iggle said GS10 would be great or if you're after floorstanders then look no further than RX6.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:BertieA1:

I know I'm totally boring but Monitor Audio is THE match for Arcam. Like Iggle said GS10 would be great or if you're after floorstanders then look no further than RX6.

You can do much better than Monitor Audio.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Try ProAc Reference 8 Signatures given your taste in music. Foot-tappingly brilliant and work very well with Arcam. £500 would see a mint pair second hand, maybe less.

Do you think they'd have enough bass for Bertie's taste in music Joel?

JoelSim:plastic penguin:BertieA1:

You can do much better than Monitor Audio.

Possibly. I've not heard the ProAcs, Dali or Totem, but out of the speakers I've heard little comes close, synergy-wise, to MA/Arcam combo.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:...Possibly. I've not heard the ProAcs, Dali or Totem, but out of the speakers I've heard little comes close, synergy-wise, to MA/Arcam combo.
Horses for courses, eh?
emotion-1.gif

A few years ago, I demo'd an Arcam CD72 and A70 with MAs - BR5s, IIRC? - and found the top-end to be fingers-in-ears bright and metallic, with very flabby bass, albeit nice 'n' deep. B&W 684s were rather lovely, but beyond budget (also needed a new dishwasher at the time). So I went for KEF iQ7SEs - a vinyl-esque sound with decent detail and not too hideous aesthetically ('walnut'). Still hankered after those 684s, though...

6th.replicant:plastic penguin:...Possibly. I've not heard the ProAcs, Dali or Totem, but out of the speakers I've heard little comes close, synergy-wise, to MA/Arcam combo. Horses for courses, eh?
emotion-1.gif
A few years ago, I demo'd an Arcam CD72 and A70 with MAs - BR5s, IIRC? - and found the top-end to be fingers-in-ears bright and metallic, with very flabby bass, albeit nice 'n' deep. B&W 684s were rather lovely, but beyond budget (also needed a new dishwasher at the time). So I went for KEF iQ7SEs - a vinyl-esque sound with decent detail and not too hideous aesthetically ('walnut'). Still hankered after those 684s, though...

Horses for courses...i wondered why I was always getting tangled in my mane...lol.

Bare in mind that Arcam used to test their new amps with MA speakers, so I presume there must be something behind the synergy...
emotion-43.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:...Arcam used to test their new amps with MA speakers, so I presume there must be something behind the synergy...
emotion-43.gif

Eh??
emotion-8.gif
Blimey, didn't know that.

Must be something wrong with my lug 'oles, then
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the guidence guys!! You lot are going to have me traveling to all 4 corners of the country listenening to speakers!!!
emotion-21.gif

Do you not think that the MA RX6 are a little beyond the A28???

6th.replicant:plastic penguin:...Arcam used to test their new amps with MA speakers, so I presume there must be something behind the synergy...
emotion-43.gif
Eh??
emotion-8.gif
Blimey, didn't know that. Must be something wrong with my lug 'oles, then
emotion-2.gif

Nothing wrong with your hearing - it's down to interpretation.

BertieA1:

Thanks for the guidence guys!! You lot are going to have me traveling to all 4 corners of the country listenening to speakers!!!
emotion-21.gif

Do you not think that the MA RX6 are a little beyond the A28???

Nope, I would say the A28 will be ideal with the RX6s.

A

Anonymous

I think that I will have a look at MA and B&W speakers and maybe PMCDB1i this wkend as most of these products are local to me!!

The PMC's maybe a little expensive for what they are even at ex demo prices,

Will the A28 power the B&W CM7, sorry to pick your brains but I want to know what speakers to demo out of these makes. There is a set of ex-demo CM7 's on the net, offers seam to be very thin on the Rx6 front.

BertieA1:

I think that I will have a look at MA and B&W speakers and maybe PMCDB1i this wkend as most of these products are local to me!!

The PMC's maybe a little expensive for what they are even at ex demo prices,

Will the A28 power the B&W CM7, sorry to pick your brains but I want to know what speakers to demo out of these makes. There is a set of ex-demo CM7 's on the net, offers seam to be very thin on the Rx6 front.

Couldn't tell you about CM7s, but having heard the previous floostanding B&Ws, they do need to be driven fairly well, whereas the MAs (usually around 91db) are more flexible and easier to drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts