Speaker isolation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
h

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Cyrus 6XP and 6SE CD player. I have just decided upon a pair of PMC DB1is to go with the system. I listened to a number of different options and was steered away from ATC SCM11's as the 6XP doesnt quite have the power to drive them. I am told that the PMC's (which sound fantastic I think) will grow with the system should I decide to upgrade the amp.

Anyway, The system is going to live on a dresser for now. I have small children and can't risk mounting the speakers on stands for now. My question is, what isolation (if any) would people recommend? Im not looking to spend a fortune right now having just melted my card on the system!

Thanks for your help

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
You could look at PMC's custom wall-mounting bracket for the DB1i's.

I had a pair with 6XP but fell quickly into the upgrade route and got an X Power...I'm now getting some used Focus 110s, which means my DB1i's are for sale, shame this forum has no PMs or classifieds, the DB1i's now retail at £1050
smiley-yell.gif

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
well - I have all my speakers - regardless of what they're on (stands or shelves) mounted on with Blue tack in each corner - best tip I was ever given!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The dresser may act like a big sound box - depending on how full it is, and what it is filled with.

The blue-tak option is certainly worth a try (it is better at holding speakers in place than providing near total isolation), but if the bass is loose and boomy (which it was when I tried the same thing), the Auralex should work, though at a higher cost.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
See if you can find some granite place mats - i got some from Tesco a while back - they tend to be just the right size and shape to go under a small-ish speaker. Put the placemat underneath then blu-tack the speakers on top. If you feel you're getting some booming/resonance from the furniture you could always double up i.e. placemat/blutack/placemat/blutack/speaker

A

Anonymous

Herbie's Audio Lab Fat Dots are an option if you're prepared to order from the States - had a lot of success with these products.

Edit: The above would be for speakers. The Tenderfeet they make are also excellent - an amazing removal of vibration which is easy to check using the simple rest the hand on top of the component test. I have my kit in IKEA units with a centre speaker on top so was more prone to vibration from the speaker (which itself is isolated partially by fat dots). Not particularly cheap but not that expensive compared to some products - 13 bucks per foot. Sorbothane sucks by comparison and is also weight dependant. May be something to consider when your card has cooled down.

TRENDING THREADS