Speaker ideas

Grim

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Recently returned to a decent system after years of using a Tivoli mini system (family etc...!). I now have a Roksan Kandy 2 CD player, integrated amplifier and power amplifier, and a Marantz dab tuner. At the moment I am using an old pair of Mordaunt Short speakers on Target stands, both of whic I found in the loft. My room is just over 4m square so quite small. Looking for a pair of speakers which can be bi-amped but placed fairly close to a wall. Would welcome any ideas, thoughts, suggestions!

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
ATC SCM11. Rocksan has the power, they can be bi amped if you wish and are a sealed box design. No bass port makes room placement easy.

Grim

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure of my budget either but they are more than I was looking to spend but will look out for a dealer with pair in stick to try out, many thanks masterblaster :)

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Something is puzzling me. In a 4 m2 room, you will not need high amount of power for having enough of it.

And for adding to the thing, it will be very difficult to find true biwire speakers. The major part of the bi-wire-able speakers have no internal separation. The result is a disbalance in tone, volume, and sometimes, troobleshootings generated by that.

Could you not simply sell the power amp ? That will free you space and money, that you will be able to spend in the important things, the speaker and the room. The Roksan has more than enough power to drive every decent compact speaker you will put behind him.

Grim

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - interesting point - I probably bought the power amp because 1. It was part of a cheap deal for all three (just over £1000 new) and 2. the last few systems I had were all pre and power amps (Musical Fidelity Typhoons then X-Pre and X-A 50s). Perhaps I shall try speakers with and without biwiring before deciding on getting rid of power amp as have plenty of cable here. I have a friend who has offered me a pair of Epos M12 speakers so am going to have a listen to those.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To me, the Roksan's strength apart from their power is their ability to tame speakers that would otherwise sound too bright and forward to some ears, without losing any of the inherant timing qualities of the speakers.

I've not heard these combos, but peppy standmounts like the Martin Logan Motion 15's, KEF's standmounts (R100, Q100 or LS50) and the Proacs mentioned could make interesting auditions. Maybe look out for that renouned WHF phrase in speaker reviews: "needs to be partnered carefully".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts