speaker cables- same length only?

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
I have a question about speaker cables. Do you have to keep both cables the same length as my new system setup will have the left speaker approx 2m away from amp but thr right speaker approx 6-8m away

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Your dealer may advise you that they should be the same length. However, I read a calculation somewhere that showed the cables would have to be very, very long for any delay to be noticed.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
It's not only about delay - the difference in impedance between the two may mean that the frequency response is not uniform across both speakers. This depends on how the crossover inside the speaker reacts to the impedance and capacitance of the cable - both of which change with length.

I'm in roughly the same boat - 1.5m and 3.5m respectively, but use 3.5m on both.

A

Anonymous

I am also with the skeptics. A difference of a few meters should not make a difference.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Aslong as the cable is good quality and not a very thin one it should make no difference.

as some cables have an impedance of 0.6 Ohms for 100m the difference between 2m and 8m is 0.036 Ohms.

and capacitance of 32 pf/m gives 96 pf/m for the difference.

A

Anonymous

My amp manufacturer states that the speaker cables should be of equal length and at least 3.5 mtrs long, so I guess there is a reason for it............

A

Anonymous

If you are worried you can try the Townshend Isolda speaker cable which are impedance matched no matter the length.

I use 3m and 5m lengths. The only problem is the price if you can't find any second hand as a new 2m and 6m cable would probably cost £600 or more. Although it does sound great imo.

A

Anonymous

Grimaldi:If you are worried you can try the Townshend Isolda speaker cable which are impedance matched no matter the length.

I use 3m and 5m lengths. The only problem is the price if you can't find any second hand as a new 2m and 6m cable would probably cost £600 or more. Although it does sound great imo.

I should bloody well think so for that price.......................

A

Anonymous

I use Kimber cable and they recommend keeping them the same length, and that's what I do.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
I always find htis debate a funny one. All the manufacturers suggest equal cable lengths to ensure playback is optimal, but then the advice is always not to bundle cables up as this can affect performance. So what do you so with 4 meters of extra cable if you cant coil it up, I dont know. To be honest I dont think you can win either way if all the advice is true.

As it is Ive kept my cables equal lengths but my speakers are 1 meter and 3 meters apart. It does mean Ive had to wrap one length up a little.ÿ

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Naim certainly specified no shorter than 2 equal 3.5 metre lengths for my amp tho is a good few years old now. Used to have the extra coiled but with builders in recently took the opportunity to uncoil and put extra under floor
emotion-1.gif

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
so far as I understand (which isn't very far) Naim amps (and Exposure and NVA) lack a Zobell filter on their output stages. The minimum cable lengths and specific high inductance, low capacitance cable recommendation from these manufacturers are in order to stop the amp oscillating.

I tend to just run equal lengths. I run the shorter length past the speaker and fold it back once to avoid coils.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts