Speaker Cable - how much should I allow for contingency

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. Just about to get started on my install which includes building a stud chimmney breast at one end of my lounge and will house the TV. Next to this will be my AVR, PS3 Sky HD in a hifi unit.

The room is rectangular - 4.0m wide and 5.0m long. I plan to chase speaker cable into each of the four corners of the room but my question is how much extra should I allow when calculating how much length I will need. I dont want to end up too short but then also dont want to end up with loads of additional cable that I dont/wont need.

Advice appreciated!

You my have considered this already, but think about where the speakers will actually go. I'm often suprised at the extra needed, for example, to reach from floor to (say) three-quarters of the way up the wall for rear satellites. And to the fronts if they are on stands, you'll need exctra to reach the terminal from the floor, and if you try to keep the cables flush to your skirting that will use more. Also, bear in mind you may not want the fronts too near the corners for best sound.

Unless you are going to use top flight cable, then AV stuff isn't usually too pricey, so a few extra metres isn't an extravagence. I'd be tempted to not chase in the fronts, but if you need to get past the chimney breast you may have to, I guess.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
When I have done this in the past, I measure each track the cable will take then add 1/2 meter to the amp end and 1/2 meter to the speaker end so if I needed 6m for a rear speaker I would get 7. I would also leave an extra meter on the front stereo pair to allow placement movement.

If using the same cable for all speakers I would wire/cut to length the rear cables first. Nothing is worse that leaving the longest to last and comming up short. At least if you dont order enough then you just need to buy a short length.

Chris

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
cheyworth said:
When I have done this in the past, I measure each track the cable will take then add 1/2 meter to the amp end and 1/2 meter to the speaker end so if I needed 6m for a rear speaker I would get 7. I would also leave an extra meter on the front stereo pair to allow placement movement.

If using the same cable for all speakers I would wire/cut to length the rear cables first. Nothing is worse that leaving the longest to last and comming up short. At least if you dont order enough then you just need to buy a short length.

Chris

That is VERY good advice! I had exactly this issue. I did the opposite, and installed the shorter lengths first (school boy error -its about the 8th time I've laid HC speaker cables so I should have known better!!!!). I came to the last (and longest) rear surround, and was around 2m short on the path I wanted the cable to take, so I ended up having to run it straight across the room under the carpet. Now I'm annoyed everytime I stand on the bump under the carpet! |(

A

Anonymous

Kind of daft idea but why not get a ball of string and do a dry run with lengths of string, then measure it all up and hey presto you have the meterage of cable you need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts