Space for AV amp

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
How much space do people have for their AV amp? I'm guessing that most people will have open-sided stands, so I'm thinking how much space above the amp do most people allow for?

I spoke to Onkyo and they said that their amps required 15cm, which seems a lot to me; by the time you have your PVR, blu-ray player etc, you may as well dangle the TV from the ceiling! :) Or do other manufacturers amps run cooler than Onkyo?

Paul.

Check the db (volume) Biases that Audisey has given to your speakers, that will give you an indication of how much power the amp is likely to be using. My room is quite small for instance, so Audisey set up the amp to be around -10 db on most speakers. This means the amp doesn't have to work that hard, so wont get that hot. I listen to movies at about -20db, the shelf above is only 1.5" clearance, but the shelf it is sat on is vented and the back of the cabinet has been cut out. It only gets pleasantly warm, never uncomfortable to the touch.

If your room is large, give it the full six inches. If you live in a small terrace like me, its not such a big deal

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got my Sony STR DH800 in a closed sided Alphason Finewoods stand. It's got about an inch either side and 2 inches above along with about 3 inches behind. Doesn't seem to get too hot and the house hasn't gone up yet...!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts