Southern Gothic . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sitting going through some Spotify, pressed the 'Discover' button . . . looked at country options, found a heading 'Souther Gothic' described as; deep, dark, dramatic. Roots, rock, folk and americana with a Souther soul. As I have a love of country and my mood is a bit dark and deep at the moment I had a listen.

Went through some ordinary, not my type of music, I came across the Handsome Family, curently listening to 'Singing Bones', deep and dark it is, with rich lower register tones and very country, but not to much 'twang', I like it. Track 6 was particularly good, for me, if a little short at 1.07 mins.

If you like country/folk Americanan Souther style, give 'the Handsome Family' a go.

CJSF

Not my tea either, don't mind 'Joy Kills Sorrow' though.

Perhaps a new thread "What Spotify are you listening to?" should be started....
regular_smile.gif

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, not to all tasts, as I said, rather reflects my present mood. However, I do like the rich warm sound, very valvey . . .

Good idea, 'what streamed music are you listening to' . . .

CJSF

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CJSF said:
Yep, not to all tasts, as I said, rather reflects my present mood. However, I do like the rich warm sound, very valvey . . .

Good idea, 'what streamed music are you listening to' . . .

CJSF

I too love a bit of country though I keep well away from the mainstream.

Probably a little raucous for you taste, but I have been working my way through a series of albums recorded "Live at Billy Bob's Texas", everything from Merle Haggard and Lynn Anderson to some foul mouthed bar room rock and roll, lovely.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I like it so far. We are on the first track still mind. lol.

It has the feel of a record being played to slow hehe. Migt be adding this to our Country list on Spotify.

Good find chap.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
My wife and I like it so far. We are on the first track still mind. lol.

It has the feel of a record being played to slow hehe. Migt be adding this to our Country list on Spotify.

Good find chap.

Glad you are liking it, did you like track #6? Strangly I went from 'the Handsome Family, Singing Bones' to Boxcar Willie, cant get much more of a constrast . . . thats the beauty of Spotify.

Its now 12.30am early hours Monday, Horlicks hour. I'm listening to Classic fm, 'the sound of the Sixteen', 'Miserere', a 16th centuary chatholic chant which I simply love, with its atmosphere and simply wonderful relaxing tones, a great befor bed track.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Having another pick around 'Souther Gothic' in Spotify this morning. Dip Sampled around 20-30 tracks, most are ordinary or not to my tast. However I'm stuck on 'Crooked Still', very much my type of country, the album we are listening to: 'Shaken by a Low Sound', give it a try, track 7 curently playing, great stuff!!!

We also came across a Johnny Cash album I have never heard . . . this is 'the man' as I have neaver heard, old, mellow and sad, I had to listen to the whole album with a lump in my throat . . . 'American IV, the Man Comes Around', sounding like a man with a broken heart? Not sure how it will come up on Spotify serch, maybe 'the Man Comes Around' or a general Johnny Cash serch? If you are a Country fan, you must hear this album.

CJSF

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CJSF said:
Having another pick around 'Souther Gothic' in Spotify this morning. Dip Sampled around 20-30 tracks, most are ordinary or not to my tast. However I'm stuck on 'Crooked Still', very much my type of country, the album we are listening to: 'Shaken by a Low Sound', give it a try, track 7 curently playing, great stuff!!!

We also came across a Johnny Cash album I have never heard . . . this is 'the man' as I have neaver heard, old, mellow and sad, I had to listen to the whole album with a lump in my throat . . . 'American IV, the Man Comes Around', sounding like a man with a broken heart? Not sure how it will come up on Spotify serch, maybe 'the Man Comes Around' or a general Johnny Cash serch? If you are a Country fan, you must hear this album.

CJSF

The 'American Series' of albums are very highly regarded.

They address an aging Johnny Cash coming to terms with mortality and God. They are awsome performances though they can be somewhat intense, which I think sits a little less well with some of the more well known tracks.

Some time ago I worked through the albums compiling a playlist of my favourites, sadly got lost when I changed my Spotify Account.

BTW There is a ton of information online, just google Johnny Cash, American recordings.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

The 'American Series' of albums are very highly regarded.

They address an aging Johnny Cash coming to terms with mortality and God. They are awsome performances though they can be somewhat intense, which I think sits a little less well with some of the more well known tracks.

Some time ago I worked through the albums compiling a playlist of my favourites, sadly got lost when I changed my Spotify Account.

BTW There is a ton of information online, just google Johnny Cash, American recordings.

Thanks Dave, American IV, is certainly sung with a heavy heart and much feeling, for me, compelling listening. I will look out the others.

CJSF

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah yes American IV I bought it about ten years ago after hearing Hurt on an advert, good album and some great interpretations of well known songs. It was the last album released before he died so not surprising it gets a bit croaky along the way.

Great late at night with the log fire on and a good whisky!!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There is just so much good stuff on Spotify when you dig a bit deeper.

For someone like me who is constantly searching new (to me) music, it is wonderful.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
There is just so much good stuff on Spotify when you dig a bit deeper.

For someone like me who is constantly searching new (to me) music, it is wonderful.

Yes Dave that is how I'm finding it, 'interesting, new to me music'. Lots of people seem to rubbish the SQ, I find it quite good?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep found them . . . have to be carfull, Hazel finds them very depressing . . . I can see here point, if I listen as 'hifi' thats fine but as a personal thing, yes, a lump comes to the throte . . . I've had enough problems with depresion over the years with out wallowing in it.

CJSF

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dificult one this.

I have tried many blind tests comparing Ogg Vorbis (Spotify), 320kps mp3, Apple AAC to flac and Alac and find the differences tiny to non existent. You can train youself to listen for 'artifacts' that can help you pick one from the other, I knew people who could do that but I don't see the point.

However ther is no doubt in my mind that Spotify could be bettered by an uncompressed streaming service perhaps, but right now I have no idea what.

Qubos is 'brighter' than Spotify so slightly more appealing initially but a touch of hf boost on Spotify levels them up again. Overall I think Spotify is great, my system is not particularly revealing, so for the moment it is fine.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Dificult one this.

I have tried many blind tests comparing Ogg Vorbis (Spotify), 320kps mp3, Apple AAC to flac and Alac and find the differences tiny to non existent. You can train youself to listen for 'artifacts' that can help you pick one from the other, I knew people who could do that but I don't see the point.

However ther is no doubt in my mind that Spotify could be bettered by an uncompressed streaming service perhaps, but right now I have no idea what.

Qubos is 'brighter' than Spotify so slightly more appealing initially but a touch of hf boost on Spotify levels them up again. Overall I think Spotify is great, my system is not particularly revealing, so for the moment it is fine.

I have not done any comparisons, would not know where to start? I also have an HRT DAC in line with my computer/amp link, makes a big diferance if I take it out of the loop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts