Source help! Streaming solution to match decent CDP

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Not sure where to post this.. but lets start here. I have replaced my AV setup with a rather nice 2 channel configuration, but my source is not very convenient for playing music and also could be getting much more from my AMP/Speakers. This is not to say I am disappointed / unhappy with what I have as it sounds good and enjoyable when I have the time to listen. You may of helped with some other posts of mine in which case know I have got Naim Nait 5i (mk2) amp and Neat Motive 3 speakers. These are really a super combo imho! Source is Marantz DVD player DV6001 through Dac magic 1, which to be fair is still quite good and budget CD player level. Ideal world = find used Naim CD5i, however not entirely practical as I have young toddler with very strong will and inquisitive nature. Seeing so many moving to streaming setups I was hoping to get some advice on:- 1) - How good these sound as compare to CD players such as Marantz budget / Rega Apollo / Naim CD5i 2) Specifically in relation to matching with my amp/speakers. 3) How to access / control music in a simple way (wife friendly) without directly using PC/laptop. I have used RDAC wireless with laptop/rwand thingy and ipod touch although not sure with amp/speakers this would be better step up. Please help as I cannot work out what the best solution is and all looks very complicated. No Budget yet, although of limited funds these days Thanks in advance Ambrose

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You could try a Sonos ZP90 with an external DAC, then use an iPod or Android phone to control it.

If the ZP90 could not be wired to your router you would need a BR100 connected to it to create a wireless mesh network.

Obviously you would also need a NAS with all your lossless music on too.

A

Anonymous

You could try a Sonos ZP 90 into a DAC. Very easy to control, although I thought the Spotify interface could be better.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

How good does the Sonos sound, given a decent DAC? Can you give a comparision from your experience if possible???

Is it vastly selling my system short or would it be rather good do you think?

Would Streamer such as Marantz na7004, CA NP30 or new NAD c446 streamer be better/worse in terms of sound quality?

Obviously I would try out for myself but am interested to know what results I can hope to achieve.

Cheers!

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

To be fair the Sonos ZP 90 doesn't sound half bad out of it's own analogue outs, If you go down the adding a DAC route then the sound quality is improved and that is in relation to the quality of the DAC .

In my opinion I don't think Sonos plus DAC would sell your system short at all. It's got the ease of use the other half might enjoy as well. I guess it depends on the DAC you choose. The new Rega DAC has been getting good feedback, then there is the Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Beresford, and on and on it goes. For what it's worth the Rega DAC employs the same technology they use in one of their high end cd players. I personally like my DAC magic, but others complain it's too clinical.

does this help?

nads

here is my 2 1/2p. my Boxes. NAD C542 and T585 with the same cables sound as near as dammit the same. I have a Squeezebox 3 which I ran with a Dac Magic 2 (the newish one) sounded as good as the Boxes. I now run a Squeezebox Touch without any Dac as it is as good as the rest. And the Dac Magic was used in the HiFi shop to Improve the Sonos (something) they were demoing.

Get a Touch and enjoy the music.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Thanks for your replies.

How good does the Sonos sound, given a decent DAC? Can you give a comparision from your experience if possible???

Is it vastly selling my system short or would it be rather good do you think?

Would Streamer such as Marantz na7004, CA NP30 or new NAD c446 streamer be better/worse in terms of sound quality?

Obviously I would try out for myself but am interested to know what results I can hope to achieve.

Cheers!

Ambrose

Hi Ambrose,

I'm using a ZP90 going in to the DAC built in to My Naim SuperNait, and the result is very good indeed. Although I've been through a fairly convoluted path to get here and so have not done any direct comparisons, the ZP90/SN DAC seems to be roughly equivalent to CD players around the £1500 mark - I think it's at least as good as the Arcam CD37 which was my last CD player (although that was with a different amp)

So if you go for a ZP90 plus a decent DAC, maybe around the £500 mark, then I think you will be very pleased with that (although I would first try it with your current DAC - you might find that more than good enough).

John Duncan

Ambrose

Given that you have a DACMagic (1) already, I think you;re much of the way there. What you choose to get music into the DM depends largely on how your music's stored; if you're using iTunes then an Airport Express will do the job, and you can control it with an iPhone or iPod Touch if you happen to have one of those lying around. If you don't then nads suggestion of a Squeezebox might be the very thingm or indeed a Sonos, though I personally think they're a bit expensive if you want just one zone.

How do you propose to store your music, if you haven't already?

JD

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi and thanks for everyones comments which is appreciated.

Very nice to know Dan that you are running similar system, even more so that it's a level up from mine with the Sonos and seem happy with this system.

JD - as far as music storage, the wife has an old ipod nano but thats it. All music collection is on CD and would be ripped into whatever format (lossless) required. No Iphone/Ipod Touch/Ipad in our house.....yet! Does this suggest anything?

Also, is a conventional Streamer good / bad value (sound / price wise) in comparision to Sonos/ SQ Touch???

Will need to do some soul searching.........

In the meantime a friend has build mini PC with Expensive Asus soundcard, Atom CPU and SSD drive with foobar which is sounding very good so far as a curveball option. Will need to try out :) Only what as remote control!

Cheers

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts