Soundbar Recommendtion £300 / 400 range?

Witterings

Can anyone recommend a soundbar in the £300 / 400 range ... it's for an elderly relative so clarity of dialogue is probably the most important thing.
He wants to "tidy up" his lounge and lose some old Keff Floorstanders, it's mainly just for watching TV.
I've pursuaded him to keep his sub as he does play some music as well so a sub out would be good.

He's quite a fan of LG but only because he knows someone who has one that swears by it, he'd rather keep the cost towards the £300 level but if there was something that was massively better for £500 he'd probably stretch to that.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Witterings

Cheers guys I'll take a look at both of those and some reviews

@jjbomber ... do they really go that deep you'd lose the Sub? He'd probably prefer it if you could but there's no output if decided wanted to keep / use the sub.
You're obviously a Bozo fan as well ... do you play?

jjbomber

Cheers guys I'll take a look at both of those and some reviews

@jjbomber ... do they really go that deep you'd lose the Sub? He'd probably prefer it if you could but there's no output if decided wanted to keep / use the sub.
You're obviously a Bonzo fan as well ... do you play?
Goes down to 35Hz, if that means anything relevant. I tend to use my ears rather than the technical data sheet!

Yes, love Zeppelin. I have about 600 Led Zeppelin CDs as well as the player in the car loaded with the concerts. If you get the chance, listen to the 1977 concerts in Maryland. Moby **** is 35 minutes long.

No, the only instruments I can play are CD Player, Turntable and Tape Deck!

Reactions: Al ears

Witterings

No, the only instruments I can play are CD Player, Turntable and Tape Deck!

That's funny :ROFLMAO:

Love Led Zepp as well, was a drummer myself so he was one of my childhood heroes, wore a black tie for a week when he passed.

His son Jason's no slouch behind a kit, was great on Celebration Day ... will look up the 77 concerts as I don't think I've heard any of that!

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
I got a Sony late last year, I want to say it’s a GT700, something like that anyway. Got it with a new Bravia TV, the bar has Atmos support and comes with a sub. No idea how it would compare with “true” Atmos surround but it sounds fantastic, and the remote has different options like Cinema, Standard - but also Voice, which reduces background sounds and slightly isolates the voices, which is helpful with dialogue or smoothing out those annoying films where it’s super loud one minute then really quiet conversations

Reactions: nopiano
I got a Sony late last year, I want to say it’s a GT700, something like that anyway. Got it with a new Bravia TV, the bar has Atmos support and comes with a sub. No idea how it would compare with “true” Atmos surround but it sounds fantastic, and the remote has different options like Cinema, Standard - but also Voice, which reduces background sounds and slightly isolates the voices, which is helpful with dialogue or smoothing out those annoying films where it’s super loud one minute then really quiet conversations
I agree. Our 2021 LG is pretty decent compared with earlier LG and Sony we owned going back to 2008. Those two I enhanced with a Canton sounbase , which I might have continued using, save the sync is out on the newest LG. If I correct it for live TV it seems out for streamed channels or Blu-ray. Shame, but the newer telly is quite ok to my ears.

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
I agree. Our 2021 LG is pretty decent compared with earlier LG and Sony we owned going back to 2008. Those two I enhanced with a Canton sounbase , which I might have continued using, save the sync is out on the newest LG. If I correct it for live TV it seems out for streamed channels or Blu-ray. Shame, but the newer telly is quite ok to my ears.
How are you connecting? We had mild lag when using optical, but HDMI D-ARC automatically should sync it (and has the other benefit of letting me control the volume from the TV, TiVo or soundbar remotes)

Reactions: nopiano
How are you connecting? We had mild lag when using optical, but HDMI D-ARC automatically should sync it (and has the other benefit of letting me control the volume from the TV, TiVo or soundbar remotes)
Optical, as I always have. Don’t honestly know what HDMI D-ARC is, or whether a Canton DM55 has same. I had better read up! Thanks for the prompt.

PS. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Looks like the Canton is too old, but I might try coax rather than optical. I can adjust for delay, but not between different signals.

Last edited:
Reactions: richwhite08

richwhite08

Mar 27, 2023
Visit site
Optical, as I always have. Don’t honestly know what HDMI D-ARC is, or whether a Canton DM55 has same. I had better read up! Thanks for the prompt.

PS. https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

Looks like the Canton is too old, but I might try coax rather than optical. I can adjust for delay, but not between different signals.
Yeah my last TV didn’t have d-arc either and that was only about 6 years. The optical lag wasn’t terrible so we lived with it but I did immediately notice the improvement

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts