Sound in each room, nothing more nothing less..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Please help, and when you help, please speak slowly, as this can get very complicated
emotion-43.gif

(I do not expect hi fi quality, for my listening pleasure I'm building a cinema room.)

My needs: Sound in 6 areas, a study, bedroom/bathroom, kitchen/dining room, living room, and 2 porches.

The sound will be from a Onkyo 606 tuner for radio, a MVIX with MP3's for music and a cd player. The sound from the dish decoder.

The sound will be back ground noise unless we have party then we will need it a bit louder. The telly in the living room, the sound for that when we watch rugby will need to be outside on the porch too.

Here is what I had in mind: In the cinema room have a Sonos 90(2 RCA) inputs from the Onkyo, all audio devises to the Onkyo (7 audio inputs). In each area have a Sonos 90 with an active speaker set.

What I'm not certain about is controlling this lot?

So is this do-able? Or does this post reaffirm my absolute ignorance on the subject?

Regards

Ian

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes that would be doable, you can play the line input source on a Zoneplayer through ANY other zoneplayer.

What you'll need to bear in mind though is all you'll be able to do with the zone controller is turn the volume up or down, you won't be able to control which radio station you're listening to (Sonos can stream internet radio though, so you could use that), which track you're playing on the mp3 player (unless you copy your mp3s to a PC and allow Sonos to play them from there, which is, after all, the raison d'etre of the system anyway!), or any of the other sources.

Also bear in mind if you bought ZP120s instead of 90s for the "other" zones you wouldn't need active speakers, as the 120 has integrated amps, so that *might* work out cheaper (it depends how much you were going to spend on the active speakers though).

A

Anonymous

Thanks

Well it sounds to me I cant control the set up, without running back and forth, no good :-(

Unfortunately in South Africa, with the monopoly of our Telkom, ADSL is still very expensive, streaming radio is possible but costly!

Any way of controlling the Onkyo from anywhere?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I'm not sure how you expected the Sonos to be able to do what you want, external sources are only connected via line-in, this isn't and never has been a control signal carrying connection.

If you're not actually going to use the Sonos for streaming music from a PC or NAS then I really wouldn't recommend it, especially not given the cost.

As for the question regarding controlling the Onkyo, I can't help I'm afraid, I'm sure there are multi-room systems available that could do this (via wired remote I think) but I can't imagine they'll be cheap.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again,

Yes you right, all I need is an remote extender for the Onkyo! Will trawl the internet for something ;-)

Maybe somebody can answer this: On the Sonos, can the inputs at different "90's" be used at different locations, ie. the Onkyo in the cinema room and the streaming music in the study?

A

Anonymous

To control the Onkyo, what will probably be able to work is using the Ellies Remote blaster (South African product) and then purchase a add on unit for every additional room. Here is the link to their website: http://www.ellies.co.za/ellies/products/remote_world/remote_blaster.php

I suggest you look at the Genius model and not the standard, it's less prone to interferance from outside sources (I think it alternates frequencies). You can buy the Genius remote blaster for about R350, I'm not sure how much each additional transmitter will cost you though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pretorius_i: Yes you right, all I need is an remote extender for the Onkyo! Will trawl the internet for something ;-)

most amps seem to have the inputs to be controlled like this, don't know whether the Onkyo website has anything?

Maybe somebody can answer this: On the Sonos, can the inputs at different "90's" be used at different locations, ie. the Onkyo in the cinema room and the streaming music in the study?

I have in fact already answered this! :) In my first post: "you can play the line input source on a Zoneplayer through ANY other zoneplayer.".

Just don't ask me how because I don't have any sources connected to the line-ins on any of my ZPs! I expect you select the line-in source on one zone and then link another zone to the first zone to hear the same source.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all

Yes my mistake the_lhc, I missed the capital lettered AND.

It seems I can have a multi zone system for about half of the cheapest quote (R30 000 or 2000 pounds)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts