Sound Card Reccommendations...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I saw yesterday, in another mag (but it was rubbish - bit too snobby for my liking) a sound card by Onkyo. Does anyone know of any soundcards by hifi manufacturers? And if you use a sound card (by anybody), what would you reccommend, and why...? I'm no musician, i just want to get the best listening experience i can.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks janjeetrain, thats where i saw the mention of the onkyo. i didnt get too much from that thread tho, to be honest. I'm just trying to get opinions from audio enthusiasts and pc enthusiasts alike, on sound cards, but there doesnt seem to be much out there. The soundcard will probably be the last brick on the wall anyway - id like to see the diference with jsut the speakers and amp added first.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]The soundcard will probably be the last brick on the wall anyway - id like to see the diference with jsut the speakers and amp added first.[/quote]

Nah, I'd a get decent soundcard first. Remember, that's gonna be your source! Why don't you start with a modest Creative Audigy? Go for 2 ZS. I am sure you will be glad you bought it.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
ill certainly consider it. im fascinated by the idea (perhaps fascinated is puting it a bit strongly tho LOL!) of an M Audio Audiophile card, as its external, and would love to know what other hifi manufacturers do sound cards. Wondered if they might be more suitable to music?

A

Anonymous

I mentioned the Onkyo SE200 in that previous thread. I have owned a few creative cards and an Onkyo. The Onkyo is much much better at stereo than the Creative's ever were and probably ever will be. The SE200 sounds amazing especially when in bit perfect mode. It has "proper" stereo phono outs which you can connect directly to your amp. However, if you want more than stereo I wouldn't buy one because it just doesn't cut it in the mutli speaker department (i.e. 5.1/7.1, etc), although you can connect 5.1 and 7.1 if you want. Again, if you want to play games with funky 5.1/7.1 then forget it because it is rubbish at it. What I am trying to say is that it is low on features, but if you want it just for stereo like me then you'll love it and defiantly notice an improvement over all of the Creative cards. Another note about the SE200 is that it really isn't very good on the software and recording front. You get the basic inputs and REALLY basic software. Both these points are a bonus in my eyes because it just works without any nasty software clogging things up when all I want to do is play music.

The Onkyos are rare in the UK and you can basically only get them from ebay and even then they tend to come via Japan, which is a pitty really because they really are a great sound card.

Any questions just ask J

SE_200PCI_1.jpg

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
THANKS Paulio!

What would you say if i said i needed convincing that i need a sound card (i have sigmatel on bord HD sound)? And if i got one would there be an obvious diference? Especially if i got one as simple as yours?

Forgive my ignorance, but i wonder what soundcards offer if they dont have much extra software...? I am discovering a few people now, however, who so think it would be worth it for my music, and who find extra software gimmicky and aimed at gamers, so i probably am showing a great deal of ignorance lol!

And do you know of any other stereo makers who also do soundcards...?

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately I am rubbish at explaining how things sound so I won't attempt it. I was using on board sound (Some AC97 thing) connected to my amp for a while and upgraded to the Creative Audigy2 ZS and even that made a massive difference in all areas of the sounds created (more clarity, tightened bass and treble). For me, the problem with on board sound is the poor quality DACs and OpAmps. When you buy a Creative, or the like, you get much better versions of both which in practice sound munch better. For example, the Onkyo has the same DACs as the Cambridge 540C where as your onboard sound will have some cheapo ones (no offence).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OK, no offence taken, and thanks! Were you using any of the effects on the creative or were you using it eau natural (selling?!)? Whats an OpAmp? Have you any experience with the M Audio I mentioned above?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Its OK, just did a bit of reading on operational amps.

A silly question probably, but if some soundcards have the same parts as some good amps, why do you need both?

Anyway, all contributions gratefully received!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone can settle this for me. Could i use this onkyo card with my logitech z2300s or not? currently i have a lead going from the sub into my pc, and the leads from the speakers go into the sub. By my rekoning, thatd leave me ok with the speakers, but there'd be no sub. A friend has sid he doesnt think ts possible. in a sense of course, it doesnt matter, as im getting new speakers anyway that i think will be ok with it, but i was just kicking round the idea of getting the soundcard and installing that first, as a deal that i had on the monitor audio br2s fell through yesterday.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Reading your reponse to soundcards. I have had terrible trouble in finding a soundcard for my PC that I can connect to my stereo amplifier via normal stereo interconnect (cambridge audio pacific with 2 RCA conectors). I was recommended the X-Fi Platinum and bought it and had it installed before reading the instructions and finding that you can only connect via the 3.5mm jack at the rear.

I read about the Onkyo you recommend, but looking at the specs it doesn't say that there are 2 phono outs, just one in stereo, am I right or wrong.

Cheers redr0cker.

A

Anonymous

Humm this thread kinda carried on without me...

In answer to your question, the Onkyo has one pair of Phono outs, one for right and one for left. You can use a standard Phono to Phono cable to connect it to your amplifier.

Do you know that you can buy 3.5 to Phono cables? So if you want to stick with your Creative then you could just buy a new cable...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paulio!

I can get this soundcard off ebay probably, but wondered if its hard to get drivers for...? Someone selling them there has put a link t a site with drivers, bu i cant find the specific drivers he reccommends on that site! Im really tempted by this card, but im also considering going for something easier, where drivers are concerned.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. Your definitely sure about that (the 2 phono outs)? Is that how you have yours connected?

I know I can use the 3.5mm, that's how I have it connected at the moment. It's just that after spending over £100 on this sound card and connecting via a 3.5mm, it just doesn't seem right.

Also as I read earlier in the the thread the extras they advertise for this soundcard, the crystalizer etc I also think are rubbish.

I just want to here my music from my PC as close to it's CD version as possible via phonos from a built in soundcard. As you have said the Onkyo is the best, I just want to make sure before I make another large soundcard purchase. I presume connection via phonos is much better than 3.5mm?

cheers redr0cker.

A

Anonymous

There's also the Trends Audio UD-10.

Here's a review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/trendsaudio_ud10_e.html

This is not a soundcard, it's an outboard USB dac, but can also output digital to go into another DAC. Added benefit is that you don't have to install it, and you can move it easily between computers.

It's about £100, but Russ Andrews have a pimped up modified version with special power pack and power cord included, at £199, which is what i just got for the office, and it works really well, better than my Meier Audio portable usb headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum is what I have with the external box to connect your mic/guitar/cdplayer etc to...the only problem is, i'm running Vista and Creative have chosen not to support it! Big pain in the backside! When i had XP it was absolutly fantastic though!

A

Anonymous

the best soundcard in the world for music reproduction with out the tinyest bit of doubt is the L22 by Lynx Studios. the card is silly high spec and comes complete with balanced xlr outputs. ive got one in my media pc and its so good it replaced my densen b400 plus (1400quid!). the card is a bit expensive though, if your buying new expect to pay around 500-600 but i picked one up of ebay for 250. do some research on the card and you will see what im talking about :)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Im always wary of cards at that end of the market, as i dont want all the extra recdording whistles and bells they probably come with. i tak eit the sound is appreciatively better tho...? While im here, whats the diference between using a whole sound card, and just an external DAC, anybody?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="paulio"]

[quote user="al7478"]Hi Paulio! I can get this soundcard off ebay probably, but wondered if its hard to get drivers for...? Someone selling them there has put a link t a site with drivers, bu i cant find the specific drivers he reccommends on that site! Im really tempted by this card, but im also considering going for something easier, where drivers are concerned.[/quote]

I get mine from the VIA website, under the heading Envy24ht. The driver CD (and manual for that matter) isn't even in English so I never bothered getting the driver off the CD.

[quote user="redr0cker"]Thanks for getting back to me. Your definitely sure about that (the 2 phono outs)? Is that how you have yours connected?.[/quote]

Yes, that's how I have it connected. One for left and one for right.

[quote user="bartsmoonparty"]the best soundcard in the world for music reproduction with out the tinyest bit of doubt is the L22 by Lynx Studios. the card is silly high spec and comes complete with balanced xlr outputs. ive got one in my media pc and its so good it replaced my densen b400 plus (1400quid!). the card is a bit expensive though, if your buying new expect to pay around 500-600 but i picked one up of ebay for 250. do some research on the card and you will see what im talking about :)[/quote]

This is true, but with my amp and speakers I don't think it would matter. Buying a sound card like that would require a step up in all my audio equiptment, hence I went for the cheaper (although worse) Onkyo.

[quote user="al7478"]whats the diference between using a whole sound card, and just an external DAC, anybody?[/quote]

An external DAC generally connects to your computer via the USB port. Sound data is then transfered down the USB port to your external DAC. I think the main advantage is that you keep your DACs as far away from the nasty noise prone internals of your PC (Fans, HDD, CDROM Drives, DVD Drivers, graphics cards, etc, etc). Does this make any real difference? Some people think so :). Generally speaking you also you don't get any ADC (Analogue to Digital Converters) which means that you can't have any inputs what so ever. The SuperPro DAC is supposed to be very good...

sp_dual.jpg

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts