Sound-bar advice?

A

Anonymous

My best bet is to get a Yamaha soundbar, they are awesome, i own one myself and very pleased with it.

Otherwise there is allot of new one's coming from various manufacturers i think, one for sure is Panasonic, this will be the 1st time they have made soundbars and prices are very keen too. There will be 2 models, the 1st one is a: SC-HTB10EB-K which is a soundbar with integrated subwoofer, 120 watts, HDMI with Dolby TruHD and DTS HD Master audio too, retail price will be around £249.99. As for the other model which is the SC-HTB500EB-K, this will be the same system as the one mentioned apart from its 240 watts and with an external wireless subwoofer, retail price around £349.99.

M

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Sailing dangerously close to the House Rules wind there, PS...

Sorry Andrew, was not aware if i was sailing close, will try and not do it.

M

A

Anonymous

Panasonic Store:
My best bet is to get a Yamaha soundbar, they are awesome, i own one myself and very pleased with it.

Otherwise there is allot of new one's coming from various manufacturers i think, one for sure is Panasonic, this will be the 1st time they have made soundbars and prices are very keen too. There will be 2 models, the 1st one is a: SC-HTB10EB-K which is a soundbar with integrated subwoofer, 120 watts, HDMI with Dolby TruHD and DTS HD Master audio too, retail price will be around £249.99. As for the other model which is the SC-HTB500EB-K, this will be the same system as the one mentioned apart from its 240 watts and with an external wireless subwoofer, retail price around £349.99.

Thanks for that, it'll go nicely with my son's Panny 50 incher I expect.
emotion-21.gif

At the risk of getting you barred, do you have any more info (speck/dimensions etc) on the
SC-HTB500EB-K

M

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit that I am interested in the soundbar option. I doubt that, given the OH's claim to much superior (or sensitive) hearing to mine, it will ever be worth splashing out on a full-blown surround system. However, a decent, but attractively priced soundbar might be a good compromise at some point. So, the 'best soundbar for under £500' topic has my attention.

Of course, we then have to get into the whole "where do you place the darn thing?" scenario that I recall seeing not too long ago on the forum. I doubt it would be as simple as placing it directly in front of the TV, on top of the cabinet in which AV Central sits.

A

Anonymous

piobob:Panasonic Store:

emotion-21.gif

At the risk of getting you barred, do you have any more info (speck/dimensions etc) on the
SC-HTB500EB-K

The measurement for the sound bar is: 1029mm (W) x 108mm (H) x 60.5mm (D)

As for the wireless subwoofer it is: 250mm (W) x 323mm (H) x 356mm (D).

I hope that helps.

M

Can someone please suggest Piobob listens to a Q Acoustics 'Q-TV2X'. I can't do it myself because it would be blatant advertising.
emotion-10.gif

I'm just lowering the 'topsail' now Mr Everard.

very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)-

A

Anonymous

Panasonic Store:piobob:Panasonic Store:

emotion-21.gif

SC-HTB500EB-K

The measurement for the sound bar is: 1029mm (W) x 108mm (H) x 60.5mm (D)

As for the wireless subwoofer it is: 250mm (W) x 323mm (H) x 356mm (D).

I hope that helps.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

M

A

Anonymous

Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:
Can someone please suggest Piobob listens to a Q Acoustics 'Q-TV2X'. I can't do it myself because it would be blatant advertising.
emotion-10.gif

very best regards,

That one looks pretty darn good, unfortunately his TV is mounted on the wall.

A

Anonymous

Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:
emotion-10.gif

very best regards,

That one looks pretty darn good, unfortunately his TV is mounted on the wall.

A

Anonymous

Oop's sory for the double post, had to press "post" twice for some reason.

A

Anonymous

The soundbars I've heard have been a very poor facsimile of even a rudimentary surround system. Baulk at the complexity of the latter by all means, but you'd need the hearing of a retiring road drill operator not to be able to hear the difference.

A

Anonymous

The Yamaha YSP series (up to 42 different speakers bouncing sound off the walls) is one of the best regarded systems providing you have a rectangular room.

Personally I kept an eye on E-Bay until I managed to pick up a new YSP-1100 and custom cabinet for £400. This was on clearance when newer models came in. Even the YSP is a compromise and because my sofa is against the rear wall sound never really gets behind me. It does however create an enormous soundstage or bubble of sound from the TV and along the side walls. I love listening to cd's on this using dolby prologicII as well. To get a decent effect for movies/tv volume has to be at moderate levels and I also added an old subwoofer which improved things again.

I would not buy one of these at full RRP because it is a compromise and you would get better value for money from a 5.1 at the same price. The YSP-1100 does not decode or accept the HD codecs or have HDMI, you need the newer models for that. I decided this was not an issue for me.

My advice would be to check out the net and the for sale listings on places like another site for recent models of the higher end Yamaha YSP's. You should be able to get a good model and a subwoofer fot your budget of £500.

Hi Piobob,

Thanks for the opportunity to make another post
emotion-2.gif

Needless to say, there are both very neat 'flat to wall' and 'cantelever' brackets available to mount a TV, wth Q-TV attached, onto a wall.

very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I to will be looking at a soundbar or a Q-TV2 in a couple of months time with a max budget of £400 so i am always interested in what people have to say about this topic .

I am also interested in how the Q-TV2 was connected to the TV in WHF review as obviously the digital connection would make a big difference over the 3.5mm jack but with the 3.5mm would been i wouldn't have to mess around pressing extra buttons on the remote ( call me lazy )

Hello Landzw,

Actually, I always find the best sonic performance is when the Q-TV is connected to the L+R audio output of a TV. For me the optical input makes the sound a bit more 'clinical'. Incidentally, I have been proved completely wrong about connecting via the headphone socket. I had presumed it would be of much lower quality but I'm pleased to say it has worked extremely well with every TV we have tried.

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts